Most versatile scorer?

Bryan

Re: Most versatile scorer?

Post by Bryan »

For the 1960-61 Broncos, Gene Mingo scored by passing, rushing, receiving, punt returns, kicking XPs, and kicking FGs. He returned kicks but did not score on any.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Frank Gifford in 1953. He ran for 2 scores, caught 4 touchdown passes, threw a TD on a halfback option, returned an interception for a score, kicked a FG, and a pair of extra points.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I know the original question involved major leagues, but two of my favorites come from the Pacific Coast in the 1940s:

Jack Mulkey, an end with the San Francisco Clippers in the 1944 AFL, a rival league for the PCFL that was actually the better of the two leagues during its one season of existence. Mulkey kicked 20 extra points and a field goal, caught two touchdown passes, returned an interception for another touchdown, and ran for three more on end-around plays. He also THREW a TD pass on another end-around. (I believe Mulkey was a "little All-American," or whatever they called it, while playing for Fresno State in 1940 or thereabouts.)

Marv Harshman, a back with the Tacoma Indians in the 1946 PCFL. His listed position was quarterback, but Tacoma was using the single wing, so a halfback named Marv Tommervik, like Harshman an alumnus of little Pacific Lutheran, did most of the passing (and led the league, in fact). But Harshman managed to throw five TD passes himself, while also catching five and running for one. He scored three TDs on returns: two interceptions and one fumble. And he kicked 20 extra points and two field goals for a league-leading total of 80 points. (Harshman later became well known as a basketball coach at one of the Pac 10 schools -- I can't recall which, but it was probably Washington.)

Just for what it's worth.
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....no doubt frank g's versatility early in his career was impressive. the interception touchdown came on lateral from landry against washington(not sure how many times two future hall of famers combined to score a td on a lateral int return?). though not a long career; joe geri in 50 & 51 ran, caught, passed for 2/1/6 and 3/1/2....he kicked field goals, and was very accurate at pat's(44 of 45). in '51 had 86 yard kor vs. nyg on opening night(caught from behind by emlen inside the five). as with many single wing tailbacks he also punted.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I was about to say Cookie Gilchrist.
But I see he never returned a punt... and never scored on a kickoff return for that matter.
Cookie Gilchrist is one of those players who looks better 50 years later than he actually was.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:Marv Harshman, a back with the Tacoma Indians in the 1946 PCFL. His listed position was quarterback, but Tacoma was using the single wing, so a halfback named Marv Tommervik, like Harshman an alumnus of little Pacific Lutheran, did most of the passing (and led the league, in fact). But Harshman managed to throw five TD passes himself, while also catching five and running for one. He scored three TDs on returns: two interceptions and one fumble. And he kicked 20 extra points and two field goals for a league-leading total of 80 points. (Harshman later became well known as a basketball coach at one of the Pac 10 schools -- I can't recall which, but it was probably Washington.)
Great stuff, Bob.

Harshman actually coached BOTH UW and WSU (as well as PLU). He and Tommervik were paid extra by the Indians owner to play/stay in Tacoma since - so the story goes - they both had offers from the (AAFC) New York Yankees.

Slightly related, was recruited by and visited PLU, got to sit and talk football with the legendary Frosty Westering. Probably should have went to play there ...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:Harshman actually coached BOTH UW and WSU (as well as PLU). He and Tommervik were paid extra by the Indians owner to play/stay in Tacoma since - so the story goes - they both had offers from the (AAFC) New York Yankees.
I think the local media had a nickname for the two of them, but I can't remember what it was -- something along the lines of the Goal Dust Twins or one of those. NOT the Marvelous Marvs, though, I'm sure of that.

They probably chose correctly to stay in Tacoma, especially if they got more money, because with the Yankees they would have been competing with Spec Sanders (also mentioned in this very thread) and Ace Parker, so they probably wouldn't have gotten much of a shot. Not too many players would, in those circumstances.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Duplicate post, sorry.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Since the merger, there have been only three players who have run, receive and pass for a TD in the same game. Two are slam dunks (Walter Payton and LaDainian Tomlinson) but the other (David Patten) was not, and it occurred in 2001, when the New England Patriots won their first Super Bowl. In that game, the Pats were heavy underdogs at Indianapolis, but thanks to Patten and Tom Brady, they blew the Colts.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Just remembered about Tony Galbreath in 1979 for the Saints:

Passing: 2 of 3 for 70 yards, 1 interception
Rushing: 189 for 708 yards, 9 Tds
Receiving: 58 for 484 yards, 1 Td
Kicking: 2 of 3 field goals (23 and 27 yards), 1 of 2 extra points
Fumbles: 1 fumble recovery

Too bad they couldn't get him on the return teams to round out the portfolio, but a pretty versatile season for a modern player.