Interesting 1970s helmet cutouts

oldecapecod11

Re: Interesting 1970s helmet cutouts

Post by oldecapecod11 »

denverfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:31 pm
"No white outline on the Chargers bolt logo. Also, gray facemask.
Isn't the Sanders gold helmet a pro bowl helmet?
"

ChrisBabcock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Isn't the Sanders gold helmet a pro bowl helmet?

"aha! That could be."

I have not watched the pro bowl dance in a long time.
When I did watch it faithfully, my recall is that they always wore their regular team helmets.
I bet plenty of people here have films of those games over the years.
Hey! reaser will know. That answer will be known as soon as he sees this thread.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

denverfan wrote:Isn't the Sanders gold helmet a pro bowl helmet?
It's his Lions helmet painted gold for yes, the Pro Bowl.
Evan

Post by Evan »

If these helmets were all created in the same year, I believe it has to be 1974 as that was that was the last year the Oilers had this design and the first year that the Bills and Eagles had theirs I believe. Still doesn't solve the mystery of the Chargers though, as that one is just way off, although it could just be a poor attempt at replicating the new helmet by a weary designer, as has been suggested.

I think that the Lions one is indeed a mistake too, as this picture from the listing seems to show it to be gold, at least in my old tired eyes ...
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (194.24 KiB) Viewed 15655 times
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

It looks like they slapped a black lion on a blank Saints' helmet and just went with that...

Aside from a brief change to maroon in 1948 instituted by then head coach Bo McMillin (influenced by his years as coach at Indiana), the Lions uniforms have basically remained the same since the team debuted in 1930. The design consists of silver helmets, silver pants, and either blue or white jerseys.
Lions logo (1970–2002). A variation of this logo with a black border was used until the 2009 NFL season, when the current logo was implemented.
There have been minor changes to the uniform design throughout the years, such as changing the silver stripe patterns on the jersey sleeves, and changing the colors of the jersey numbers. White trim was added to the logo in 1970. In 1998, the team wore blue pants with their white jerseys along with grey socks but dropped that combination after the season. In 1999, the "TV numbers" on the sleeves were moved to the shoulders.
The shade of blue used for Lions uniforms and logos is officially known as "Honolulu blue", which is supposedly inspired by the color of the waves off the coast of Hawaii. The shade was chosen by Cy Huston, the Lions first vice president and general manager, and of the choice, he said: "They had me looking at so many blues I am blue in the face," Huston said about the selection. "But anyway, it's the kind of blue, I am told, that will match with silver."
In 1994, every NFL team wore throwback jerseys, and the Lions' were similar to the jerseys used during their 1935 championship season. The helmets and pants were solid silver, the jerseys Honolulu blue with silver numbers and the jersey did not have "TV numbers" on the sleeves. The team wore solid blue socks along with black shoes. The helmets also did not have a logo, as helmets were simple leather back then. The Lions also wore '50s-style jerseys during their traditional Thanksgiving Day games from 2001 to 2004 as the NFL encouraged teams to wear throwback jerseys on Thanksgiving Day.
In 2003, the team added black trim to their logo and the jerseys. The face masks on the helmet changed from blue to black with the introduction of the new color. Additionally, an alternate home field jersey which makes black the dominant color (in place of Honolulu Blue) was introduced in 2005.
For 2008, the team dropped the black alternate jerseys in favor of a throwback uniform to commemorate the franchise's 75th anniversary. The throwback uniform became the team's permanent alternate jersey in 2009, replacing the former black alternate. The Lions officially unveiled new logo designs and uniforms on April 20, 2009. The Lion on the helmet now has a flowing mane and fangs, and the typeface of "Lions" is more modern.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

denverfan wrote:No white outline on the Chargers bolt logo. Also, gray facemask.
1974 was the year that the Chargers introduced the blue helmet so it could be that these cutouts were produced before the new lid was actually seen by the creators.
JohnTurney

I think they were trying to get this look

Post by JohnTurney »

I think the cardboard cutouts missed the mark, but in 1972 the Lions helmet color was a little different hue with a hint of gold

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Reaser wrote:
denverfan wrote:Isn't the Sanders gold helmet a pro bowl helmet?
It's his Lions helmet painted gold for yes, the Pro Bowl.
That's interesting. I had always assumed that, after they abandoned the red "N" and blue "A" helmets, everyone wore their normal game day headgear. To your knowledge, did anybody else modify their helmet for the occasion?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Mark L. Ford wrote:I had always assumed that, after they abandoned the red "N" and blue "A" helmets, everyone wore their normal game day headgear. To your knowledge, did anybody else modify their helmet for the occasion?
The gold helmets were '65-'69, before the "N" & "A" conference helmets that went from '70-'77, 1978 (season/Jan '79) is when players started wearing their own teams helmets.

and yes, for the five years of the gold helmets players' normal helmets were painted over - you can usually see either the outline of the team logo and/or where the gold is chipped away you can see the team color of the helmet underneath ...

edit to add: For example - Forrest Gregg http://www.helmethut.com/Packers/gregg1.JPG
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Reaser wrote: edit to add: For example - Forrest Gregg http://www.helmethut.com/Packers/gregg1.JPG
That's blasphemy! :D