The Draft Combine Is Dumb

MarbleEye

Re: The Draft Combine Is Dumb

Post by MarbleEye »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:MarbleEye » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 pm
"Re: The Wonderlic test.... I know Vince Young took it, got a horrendous score, a 4 or a 6... something pitiful and as was previously posted, lived up to it by not being able to learn a playbook or master the mental study of film, game plans etc that are so crucial to QB and team success in the NFL. Not to mention his off the field antics which included blowing thru multi-millions in a short time.
Incredibly enough, Young actually has a degree from UT-Austin... I'm not sure I'd be too pleased about that if I was a legitimate Texas alum
..."

-----

Obviously, UT-A has "overlooked" listing him as an attendee?

[/i]
I guess you just cant list everyone, UT-Austin must have dozens of people who starred for them and went on to pro success but I would agree he was one of their brighter lights as a star performer and he is recent too... Anyone can amend Wiki so who knows why he is or isn't in there... They did give him a job as some sort of low level admininstrator & I'd bet he helps out with football recruiting too. Hope it all turns out OK for him.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I came across just a couple of data points, but they might be interesting. According to Bleacher Report's mock draft for the Packers, ILB Stephone Anthony was rated as a fourth-rounder before the combine, but his performance there has made him a likely second-rounder. QB Brandon of South Alabama was virtually unknown before the combine and would probably have been an undrafted free agent, but he's now likely to be drafted (BR has the Packers choosing him in the sixth round).

That means that 2 of the 7 players mentioned in that mock draft have evidently moved up considerably because of the combine. If that's any indication, then the combine is far from "dumb."
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

rhickok1109 wrote:I came across just a couple of data points, but they might be interesting. According to Bleacher Report's mock draft for the Packers, ILB Stephone Anthony was rated as a fourth-rounder before the combine, but his performance there has made him a likely second-rounder. QB Brandon of South Alabama was virtually unknown before the combine and would probably have been an undrafted free agent, but he's now likely to be drafted (BR has the Packers choosing him in the sixth round).

That means that 2 of the 7 players mentioned in that mock draft have evidently moved up considerably because of the combine. If that's any indication, then the combine is far from "dumb."
Not sure I follow the logic. If you're viewing it from the player's perspective, and the goal is to use the combine to get drafted as high as possible, then its not dumb. If the goal of the combine is for NFL teams to accurately gauge a player's prowess as an NFL football player, it's dumb.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Veeshik_ya wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I came across just a couple of data points, but they might be interesting. According to Bleacher Report's mock draft for the Packers, ILB Stephone Anthony was rated as a fourth-rounder before the combine, but his performance there has made him a likely second-rounder. QB Brandon of South Alabama was virtually unknown before the combine and would probably have been an undrafted free agent, but he's now likely to be drafted (BR has the Packers choosing him in the sixth round).

Not sure I follow the logic. If you're viewing it from the player's perspective, and the goal is to use the combine to get drafted as high as possible, then its not dumb. If the goal of the combine is for NFL teams to accurately gauge a player's prowess as an NFL football player, it's dumb.
The logic is simple: If his combine performance reveals that a guy is a legitimate NFL second-rounder rather than a fourth-rounder, a team that's interested in him better snap him up in the second round or, if he's still available, in the third round, rather than waiting for the fourth round, because he might not be available then.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

"Welcome to one of the biggest facades in all of sports: The NFL Scouting Combine.
For starters, if it’s such a big deal why is it held in Indianapolis?
"

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/T ... 87281.html
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister