Were '92 Seahawks 'best' 2-14 team ever?

John Maxymuk

Re: Were '92 Seahawks 'best' 2-14 team ever?

Post by John Maxymuk »

I'm having a hard time picturing ground chuck turning his offense over to brett favre...maybe he was watching high school footage of favre when he rarely threw the ball?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JohnH19 wrote:[quote="74_75_78_79_"
No slight on Erickson intended, more-so a Flores 'what-if' based on the fact that we already seen him win (2 SBs) in the NFL - of course with the argument that Al may or may not have played a hand in it. Was it Tom's subdued persona that makes him 'unfairly' underrated or was Al a part of it being he proved much earlier in his brief early-'60s tenure that he could coach (was he a big help to Madden as well)? Guess we'll never know. As for Erickson, upon looking him up just now, I see he was QB for Montana State! Been to Bozeman before. A real neat little town nestled in the hills of western Montana. Was there once one summer, could see for miles and miles, really loved the vibe around town and seriously entertained moving there. Born in Everett, WA, I see - home of Patrick Duffy. Not sure what to truly make of his NFL legacy but felt his time at 'the U' was underrated (kind of in the way Seifert was to Walsh). Winning it all in '89, yes, guess you have to say because he 'inherited' Jimmy's team, but winning it in '91 and then making it back to the NC game in '92 as a fave ought to not only give credit where credit's due, but make the 'gap' between he and Jimmy quite smaller than any gap between Walsh and Seifert. I do remember his good work in Corvallis, making the Beavers contenders, and now seeing that he led WSU in the '80s to their first bowl win since WWI makes me further realize his abilities. I'll take your word. Perhaps a better (not 'perfect', but better) GM situation someplace else may have given him a better opportunity to show what he could do on the NFL level. Taking over a 6-10 squad, just one losing season in four years and almost making the playoffs two of those seasons - and with bad management to boot...yes, the jury's still out. Many coaches (who've been given a pass, mind you) have done much worse. Hey, while on the subject of the Seahawks...when if Pete Carroll never returned to the NFL 5 years ago? What would his legacy be?
I would love to read more of your posts but the lack of paragraph breaks makes it very difficult.[/quote]

Gotcha! Bad habit I simply need to be reminded of every now and then.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Looks good to me...

"74_75_78_79_"

No slight on Erickson intended, more-so a Flores 'what-if' based on the fact that we already seen him win (2 SBs) in the NFL - of course with the argument that Al may or may not have played a hand in it.
Was it Tom's subdued persona that makes him 'unfairly' underrated or was Al a part of it being he proved much earlier in his brief early-'60s tenure that he could coach (was he a big help to Madden as well)?
Guess we'll never know.

As for Erickson, upon looking him up just now, I see he was QB for Montana State!
Been to Bozeman before. A real neat little town nestled in the hills of western Montana. Was there once one summer, could see for miles and miles, really loved the vibe around town and seriously entertained moving there.

Born in Everett, WA, I see - home of Patrick Duffy. Not sure what to truly make of his NFL legacy but felt his time at 'the U' was underrated (kind of in the way Seifert was to Walsh).
Winning it all in '89, yes, guess you have to say because he 'inherited' Jimmy's team, but winning it in '91 and then making it back to the NC game in '92 as a fave ought to not only give credit where credit's due, but make the 'gap' between he and Jimmy quite smaller than any gap between Walsh and Seifert.

I do remember his good work in Corvallis, making the Beavers contenders, and now seeing that he led WSU in the '80s to their first bowl win since WWI makes me further realize his abilities.

I'll take your word.
Perhaps a better (not 'perfect', but better) GM situation someplace else may have given him a better opportunity to show what he could do on the NFL level. Taking over a 6-10 squad, just one losing season in four years and almost making the playoffs two of those seasons - and with bad management to boot...yes, the jury's still out.

Many coaches (who've been given a pass, mind you) have done much worse.

Hey, while on the subject of the Seahawks...when if Pete Carroll never returned to the NFL 5 years ago?
What would his legacy be?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Carroll's legacy would have been a great college coach who failed in the pros like Bud wilkinson, john mckay, and steve spurrier. Obviously, there are other factors in a couple of those cases, as there were with Carroll, but his legacy would have been his record.

I'm glad Pete got a chance to succeed. No matter who won the last Super Bowl, i think he is second only to Belichick among current pro coaches...with the Harbaugh brothers just a tad behind.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The defense was playoff caliber. The offense was quite possibly the worst ever fielded by an NFL team in the sixteen-game season era.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Todd Pence wrote:The defense was playoff caliber. The offense was quite possibly the worst ever fielded by an NFL team in the sixteen-game season era.
For the entire season, I would say you were right. The post-Tim Couch Cleveland Browns in 2000 had the worst offensive 9 game stretch I have ever seen, but under Couch, they actually flashed glimpses of competence.