Atlanta Falcons/New Orleans Saints rivalry discussion

74_75_78_79_

Atlanta Falcons/New Orleans Saints rivalry discussion

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

It's pretty amazing that yesterday's game between both determined who, now, has the All-Time lead in the Series! Falcons are now up, 56-55! There never has been a game resulting in a tie between the two in eight total overtime games.

I generally assumed all this time that both joined the league the same year. But, of course, its Falcons joining in '66, Saints in '67. And I also thought that both were in the same division from the get-go. Not the case, however, in those three seasons (Capitol, Century, Coastal, Central; 4-4-4-4 format) before the merger. Not just that, but they were in different conferences as well.

In the Western Conference, Atl was joined with the Rams, Forty Niners, and Colts in the Coastal division each of those three seasons. The Saints, however, bounced back and forth within the Eastern Conference. In 1967 they were with the Redskins, Eagles, and Cowboys in the Capitol. Then in '68, the Giants sensibly (or, at least, "sensible" to those of us who only ever knew the NFL since the '70s or at least the '80s) switched places with the Saints who now joined the Century with the Cardinals, Steelers, and Browns (yes...weird). But then in '69...NO back to the Cap, NYG back to the Cent (even more weird).

And then came the merger and both were now together with Atl's two 'roommates', SF & Rams - all four staying together through 2001 (Panthers making the NFC West a five-some in '95). I guess it's understandable they not being in the same division right away - two very new teams for two others to unfairly 'feast' off of. Both did play against each other in both '67 and '69; and sure-enough the seeds were already planted. Without actually researching it, I'm guessing it was already known that they would, indeed, become division-mates upon the merger.

The Colts, I'm guessing, didn't seem like such an odd division rival to the 'new' Falcons as you'd think. Both Baltimore and Atlanta being Southern cities and all. The Falcons were very struggle-some, of course, during that time as the late-'60s Colts were...the late-'60s Colts. Baltimore won every game in all their '60s games vs each other - and they demolished them once in '67 and also once in '68 - but if you look at the other games, including '66, you'll see that FWIW Atlanta didn't really play that bad against them. Makes you wonder if a rivalry could have possibly started to brew between both until being permanently interrupted by the merger. Those of you who were around may have a better take.

But the Saints in either division they were in during those pre-merger years simply wasn't a fit. Despite the NFC West being what its been these more than 20 years now, I still miss Rams, SF, Atl, and NO being together. This despite the obvious geography. And when Carolina entered, they didn't seem as bad a fit. Or at least it seemed that they and San Fran suddenly had a rivalry if only based on the strength of '96/the two fighting for the division title (and maybe Kevin Greene and then George Seifert each making their switch). I think they would have fit into that division more and more in time had there not been that '02 merger.

Saints won their first meeting between they and Atlanta, and then (starting their next, '69, affair) the Falcons would win their next NINE against them! And Atlanta would put up yet another big streak on NO - a ten game one - in the '90s. The biggest streak the Saints would ever have over their rival would be a six-game one; of course in the '80s under Jim Mora. Very few years when both made the playoffs, or had winning records together, in the same season. The first of such was in 1991 - first simultaneous playoff years, first simultaneous winning seasons-period! Not only that, but of course both met in the playoffs! "Too Legit" wildcard Falcons beat the division-winner 'Dome Patrol' on the road in the 1st-Rd in a competitive game, 27-20. And like a true rivalry, all three games between both were road victories. First, early on, the Saints won lopsided in Atl. And then in late-November, a Sunday Nighter, Atl would win at the Superdome...in OT! I guess that year would have to be seen, obviously, as the most-significant year of the rivalry.

The next time both would have winning records would be the next merger year itself - 2002. But only the 9-6-1 Falcons got in. The Saints would sadly lose their final three games to drop them to 9-7 (Atl swept them anyway). The next time both would be winners? The Saints' World Championship year, 2009. But Atlanta would be the ones missing out this time at 9-7. The following year, 2010, both would - for the second time ever - make the playoffs again. Falcons 13-3 division winners, Saints in second at 11-5; both one-and-done. 2011, both make it again (3) with NO at 13-3, Atl 10-6. Yep, that's simultaneous Gary Payton/Mike Smith for you.

2017 would be the next, and last, time both achieve winning seasons together (sixth time total), and they both also made the playoffs as well (fourth time total). Each would win their first playoff game thus each be one game, and a total of ten points (5 pts each), shy of meeting in the NFC Championship Game.

Notable games, story-lines, coaches, players, general history, etc to add to this discussion?

To those who are closer-to-the-action/aura, is this indeed an underrated rivalry? Considering that its far from the East or West coast/biggest markets (NY/LA in-particular), does the true spirit of this rivalry get pushed aside by the National media? I'd like to think so. I hear that Falcons/Saints has the same raw Spirit of a college football rivalry (like Arrowhead Stadium, even eons before this current Mahomes Era, has that 'college' feel)!

PS - a little side discussion that we can add here (without starting a new thread)...to those who were around at the time and already following for years, what were your takes on the new, temporary, 'four little divisions' format in the NFL? Or to those who weren't around, your point-of-view by simply knowing the history? To go from two 'big' divisions to that must have been seen as a bit weird. Or something to get used to (times are-a changin').
ChrisBabcock

Re: Atlanta Falcons/New Orleans Saints rivalry discussion

Post by ChrisBabcock »

My father would always say... "I always get these two teams mixed up!". As you said, they came into the league at roughly the same time, both out of place southeast teams stuck with two west coast teams in the NFC west. (from 1970-2001 of course). Both playing second fiddle to the strong 49ers and Rams during most of that time.
Also it seems like in the late 80s/early 90s there was a lot of "cross pollination" between rosters. Bobby Hebert, Michael Haynes and Morten Andersen are guys that immediately come to mind.
Reaser

Re: Atlanta Falcons/New Orleans Saints rivalry discussion

Post by Reaser »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:26 pmearly 90s there was a lot of "cross pollination" between rosters. Bobby Hebert, Michael Haynes and Morten Andersen are guys that immediately come to mind.
The '91 Wildcard game is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Falcons, Saints" but the next is exactly that, the "cross pollination" during that period.

The three you mentioned. Plus, with the Bears season in-between, Ironhead Saints-to-Falcons. By the end of the 90s Billy Joe was with the Saints. 90s into 00s Ashley Ambrose went from Saints to Falcons then back to the Saints (reverse Michael Haynes.) Even laughed later on when Joe Horn signed with Atlanta -- and ultimately played his last NFL season with them.

Another "connection" is that Michael Vick & Aaron Brooks are cousins.