1967 Blues for the Browns

Brian wolf

Re: 1967 Blues for the Browns

Post by Brian wolf »

You might have been aware of this Saban1 but the NFL secretly paid off Ninowski, similar to John Brodie, due to signing with the Raiders before the merger. Once the merger happened, all signings were declared void but with Ninowski and Brodie threatening anti-trust lawsuits, they got paid quite well. How much the Browns or the Redskins paid Ninowski, I am not sure about but I think he was paid 100,000 per year for four years.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I am glad that he made out so well. I think I read something about that in Bernie Parish's book, "They Call It A Game."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:09 am You might have been aware of this Saban1 but the NFL secretly paid off Ninowski, similar to John Brodie, due to signing with the Raiders before the merger. Once the merger happened, all signings were declared void but with Ninowski and Brodie threatening anti-trust lawsuits, they got paid quite well. How much the Browns or the Redskins paid Ninowski, I am not sure about but I think he was paid 100,000 per year for four years.
He was paid an additional $50,000 a year for four years, which effectively brought his salary to $100,000 a year for those years.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

For me, despite being rejected for conspiracy theories by the NFL, They Call It A Game is the best critical book of the league I have ever read ... Alot of the stuff in that book, still goes on today. Instead of direct pay-per-view games, the league parcels out games-packages to any network that wants them, even though they just got in trouble for manipulating the satellite television package with DirectTV. Instead of restituting ripped off customers, who actually won the judgement against the NFL, the judge just dismisses the entire thing. May He Have A Merry Christmas, say the owners ... haha
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Speaking of football books, my favorite is, "The Best Show In Football" by Andy Piascik, which is about the Otto Graham era of the Cleveland Browns, 1946-1955. Piascik"s book is very detailed about the early and middle 50's Cleveland Browns. I loved reading it.

Another good one is Richard Bak's, "When Lions Were Kings," which is about part of the same era, but about the 50's Detroit Lions. I found it very interesting.

I liked "Blanton's Browns" by Roger Gordon, which is about the mid and late 60's Cleveland Browns of which Blanton Collier was the Head Coach. The Browns of that era was not the team of the 60's, Green Bay was, but Cleveland had a consistently good team during those years and even won the NFL Championship in 1964. I liked the book.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I want those first two books but about to get the new TJ Troup book ... 1961: A Sensational Season
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Saban1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:23 pm Speaking of football books, my favorite is, "The Best Show In Football" by Andy Piascik, which is about the Otto Graham era of the Cleveland Browns, 1946-1955. Piascik"s book is very detailed about the early and middle 50's Cleveland Browns. I loved reading it.

Another good one is Richard Bak's, "When Lions Were Kings," which is about part of the same era, but about the 50's Detroit Lions. I found it very interesting.

I liked "Blanton's Browns" by Roger Gordon, which is about the mid and late 60's Cleveland Browns of which Blanton Collier was the Head Coach. The Browns of that era was not the team of the 60's, Green Bay was, but Cleveland had a consistently good team during those years and even won the NFL Championship in 1964. I liked the book.
A mistake I made is not mentioning in Andy Piascik's book about the late 1940's years of the Cleveland Browns in the All America Conference (1946-49) in which players like Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Lou Saban, Mac Speedie, etc. were in their prime years.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Saban1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:18 am I am glad that he made out so well. I think I read something about that in Bernie Parish's book, "They Call It A Game."
Yes, how Jim Ninowski was paid was in Bernie Parrish's 1971 book. I read it when it came out.