Least favorite season your team had?

Retro Rider

Re: Least favorite season your team had?

Post by Retro Rider »

For me it has to be the 1976 New York Jets. The season was a trainwreck from start to finish. They opened with a 38-17 loss at Cleveland and finished with a 42-3 drubbing at the hands of Cincinnati. Somehow they managed to win 3 games, two of them against the hapless Bills. Their other win was a 34-0 shutout over the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A banner hung from Shea Stadium that day that read, "Game of the Weak."

Among the many lowlights was a Week 2 disaster at Denver. On game day the Broncos attempt to work out a trade for Namath:
https://talkoffametwo.com/nfl/jeoe-nama ... trade-1976

The Jets are slaughtered 46-3 and the Namath trade doesn't happen. President Phil Iselin suffers a heart attack while watching the game (he dies following a second heart attack 3 months later). After the blowout is complete, John Ralston sends a letter to Lou Holtz apologizing for the lopsided score:
https://youtu.be/hmf8xm0OaZY

For the season the Jets tallied 169 points in 14 games. This article pretty much sums up the Lou Holtz era:
https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/5/ ... 976-season
Last edited by Retro Rider on Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I did not know that the Jets almost traded Namath to Denver in 1976. Also, that was the same year that Lynn Dickey wanted to go to Denver, but according to Dickey, they didn't want him (at the 47:27 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13SGrS3PzA

I can't believe that the Broncos would want Namath, but not have an interest in a younger player like Dickey. If this is true, and if it was Ralston who didn't want him, he deserved to be fired.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:23 am I can't believe that the Broncos would want Namath, but not have an interest in a younger player like Dickey. If this is true, and if it was Ralston who didn't want him, he deserved to be fired.
Dickey hadn't ever been a starter, and Namath had a very good season in 1974, willing the terrible Jets to a 7-7 record. But Namath was terrible in 1975, and perhaps a more astute coach/GM than Ralston would have noticed that Dickey's arrow was pointing up and Namath's was pointing down. It would have been interesting if the Broncos had gotten Dickey. He was one of the best passers I've ever seen in terms of getting a spiral on the ball. Maybe Dickey wouldn't have thrown as many interceptions or gotten sacked as often if he had a defense like the Orange Crush.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

CSKreager wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:12 pm
sheajets wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:45 am So many to choose from. Oh so many

Have to go with 1995 for the Jets. Leon Hess moronically fires Pete Carroll after 1 season and for some ungodly reason hires Rich Kotite...who just flamed out in Philly and looked completely disinterested and beleagured in the process.

The Jets trade Rob Moore for RB Ron Moore who wasn't any good. He got here and immediately looked worthless

They passed on Warren Sapp because Hess vetoed it. Was worried about "character issues"

They had nothing at wide receiver aside from a gutsy young unknown Wayne Chrebet who was one of the rare bright spots to come out of that era. Adrian Murrell was another.

The Jets were not just bad they were boring bad and heartless and disinterested and poorly conditioned and unprepared to play. Kotite was reported just milling around practice fields during the week smoking cigars, then leaving early to beat the Long Island traffic.

They were humiliated by Miami to start the season 52-14. The home opener they lead Indy 24-3 in the 3rd quarter. Naturally they blow the lead and lose in OT 27-24 on a 52 yard FG by Mike Cofer. He was just about to wash out of the NFL and looked like crap but of course he made that one.

Oakland annihilated them 47-10. Buffalo killed them at Rich Stadium and knocked Boomer Esiason out. They're playing the 0-5 expansion Panthers and are up 12-3 in the 2nd quarter...of course they blow that too with Bubby Brister throwing a moronic shovel pass pick 6 to Sam Mills. Gave the Panthers their first ever victory. Unwatchable 23-6 and 12-0 late season losses to the Oilers and Saints where most of the team looked comatose.

Everything about that time period was hopeless
Worse than 1996’s 1-15?
I'd say yes because they were a more entertaining 1-15...that team had far too much talent to be 1-15 (probably among the best 1-15 squads in NFL history, and were 9-7 the next season) and they did have Keyshawn.

Adrian Murrell had a great season as well. They threw for nearly 4,000 yards as and had a 1,200 yard rusher. The 2nd half of the year they played very competitive games vs Buffao, Miami, NE, Indy, and Philly. Naturally they lost all 5...but they could've just as easily won them too. Should've won at least 2 of those
racepug

Post by racepug »

Easy. 1992 for the Seahawks. Totally abysmal offense (I think the 'hawks averaged 7 or maybe 8 points on offense that year and I'm pretty sure that not ALL their points were scored by the offensive unit). They managed to beat N.E. early in the season and - miracle of miracles! - the Broncos in a late-season Monday night game in the Kingdome (which I watched at my shore command in San Diego). The 'hawks jettisoned long time starting QB Dave Krieg after, I believe, the 1991 season and didn't really have anybody competent in that role again until acquiring an aging (but still effective) Warren Moon (whom they wanted - but obviously didn't get - when he left the CFL in the mid-'80s) 5 or 6 years later. But, yeah - to this point I'd have to say that 1992 was the worst season in Seahawks history, without a doubt.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

For the Broncos, it has been every season since 2017. Elway and his incompetent FO have been making so many bad decisions since then (Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, firing OC Scangarello after 2019, trading for and paying Russell Wilson, etc...). And, this idiotic new ownership group won't get rid of them for some reason.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

The 1997-1999 Chicago Bears.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Bears teams before that and after that...those three seasons swirl around in my head like a primordial soup of "suck." I can remember things FROM those seasons but very little about what year they actually occurred in or sequence of events.

1997 I know we traded for Mirer and he was terrible...after that the season is a blur.

1998 I have zero recollections that I can say "Oh yeah, that was for sure 1998" aside from being excited about Moses Moreno starting and him throwing deep on the Bears first play from scrimmage vs Tampa Bay...which I always thought was the last game of the year..but it appears it was only Week 13.

1999 the vision clears a bit because of the Cade McNown draft and the Marcus Robinson season but aside from that, no real detailed sequenced memories.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Hail Casares wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:46 am The 1997-1999 Chicago Bears.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Bears teams before that and after that...those three seasons swirl around in my head like a primordial soup of "suck." I can remember things FROM those seasons but very little about what year they actually occurred in or sequence of events.

1997 I know we traded for Mirer and he was terrible...after that the season is a blur.

1998 I have zero recollections that I can say "Oh yeah, that was for sure 1998" aside from being excited about Moses Moreno starting and him throwing deep on the Bears first play from scrimmage vs Tampa Bay...which I always thought was the last game of the year..but it appears it was only Week 13.

1999 the vision clears a bit because of the Cade McNown draft and the Marcus Robinson season but aside from that, no real detailed sequenced memories.
I wanted, at the time, to see Wannstedt's Bears do well. I liked their '94 playoff run with '95 being better, statistically at least, but no dice. Sort-of like the 1990 non-playoff 9-7 Steelers compared to the '89 playoff 9-7 Steelers.

My only late-'90s Bears memory was the second game of the '98 season, Bears at Steelers. The 'Burgh was quite high, some #1 spots, on many pre-season Power Rankings according to the experts. Bears were declared 'bad' by then. Yet Steelers barely beat them at home, 17-12. That, sadly, hinted at Cowher's first non-playoff year to be.

Oh, two other late-'90s Bears memories...Curtis Enis! Being a Penn State-fan, I do remember. Another NFL RB success story out of Happy Valley! The other memory was Ditka returning to Soldier on Sunday Night, early 1997. His 1-4 Saints beating his old 0-5 team, 20-17.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:05 pm

I wanted, at the time, to see Wannstedt's Bears do well. I liked their '94 playoff run with '95 being better, statistically at least, but no dice. Sort-of like the 1990 non-playoff 9-7 Steelers compared to the '89 playoff 9-7 Steelers.

My only late-'90s Bears memory was the second game of the '98 season, Bears at Steelers. The 'Burgh was quite high, some #1 spots, on many pre-season Power Rankings according to the experts. Bears were declared 'bad' by then. Yet Steelers barely beat them at home, 17-12. That, sadly, hinted at Cowher's first non-playoff year to be.

Oh, two other late-'90s Bears memories...Curtis Enis! Being a Penn State-fan, I do remember. Another NFL RB success story out of Happy Valley! The other memory was Ditka returning to Soldier on Sunday Night, early 1997. His 1-4 Saints beating his old 0-5 team, 20-17.
That 1995 Bears defense was pretty awful(esp against the pass) and the offense wasn't nearly as explosive late in the year...they definitely weren't as consistent. Going 0-2 against the Lions that year was a backbreaker. Had they even split with the Lions..I think they would have gotten in taking Detroit's spot and had a rematch in the WC Round against their Week 17 opponent, the Eagles.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Hail Casares wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:26 am
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:05 pm

That 1995 Bears defense was pretty awful(esp against the pass)
The 95 Bears defense was strqngely excellent against the run- 5th fewest rushing yards/TD allowed
Last edited by CSKreager on Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.