Opening Weekend 2024 Season

Brian wolf

Opening Weekend 2024 Season

Post by Brian wolf »

Lots of action coming up and after two games, the injury bug is well under way with Love for GB possibly missing 2-6 weeks. Will Willis at backup step up or do the Packers try to make a deal for a veteran, or even sign another team's backup? Ryan Tannehill is still out there.

Sorry, but watching these kickoff returns and the lack of running momentum that the kickoff team has, I wouldn't call for fair catches, unless the ball was very deep into the endzone. These returners should force these coverage units to tackle them, because one or two misses and they're gone. We will see many huge returns this year and I think Patterson for the Steelers could possibly get two TDs, if Tomlin let's him takeoff.

Likely for Baltimore had a huge game but couldn't drag his feet for a possible tying TD against the Chiefs. He threw some monster blocks as well but while the officials called flags for illegal alignments on the Ravens, they still allowed KC to get away with false starts. Hopefully, these slate of Sunday, Monday games will have more consistent officiating.
JohnH19

Re: Opening Weekend 2024 Season

Post by JohnH19 »

What I noticed more than anything this weekend in the games I watched was the preponderance of short dump off passes. Many teams play a very dull and repetitive brand of football. I’m too lazy to look it up but I wonder how many QB’s averaged even 10 yards per completion.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Some thoughts on the sunday action ...

Tough comeback and performance from the Rams but the Lions win at home. Hopefully Nacua's knee injury isn't too serious.*

The Bears come back* and win an ugly game against the Titans with Levis playing horrible in the second half. I can't remember a team winning a game with a passer throwing less than 100 yards, their leading runner with 30 yards and leading receiver with 36 yards? Enjoy em' anyway you can get em' Bear's fans ...

We just did a thread on Mike Evans having a case or not for the HOF and as usual, the guy scores TDs ...

The Browns were flat the entire game against Dallas. Watson sure gets paid a lot to run around all the time. Can they rebound next week?

The Jags had the Dolphins in cuffs but let them loose to allow a Dolphins win. Like most games today, a tale of two halves.

*Nacua will miss the next four weeks.
*Edit
Last edited by Brian wolf on Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, JohnH ... just not enough down field passing. I think offenses know that safeties and linebackers can't take killshots without penalties or fines, so they just keep everything within ten yards and hope for missed tackling.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

But if they know that receivers are relatively safe, shouldn’t they be throwing downfield more?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That makes sense but maybe the HC or QB is worried about an interception? At least Stafford for the Rams throws it downfield. This guy can take a beating though. That turf in Detroit tonight bit a lot of players ... The field in Brazil was slippery also but players have to have the right cleats.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Yes, it’s the coaching staff’s overwhelming fear of the dreaded interception that has neutered many a quarterback. Sigh…
Stafford completed 34 passes for 317 yards.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You're right, a lot of short ones to Kupp and probably would have went more downfield to Nacua had he not had the bad knee. They definitely picked on the rookie at CB in Arnold. Most of the rookies held up pretty well at CB this weekend, including Carson in Dallas who played well. Mitchell for Philly will also get even better.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

The dynamic kickoff took me by surprise. When I first saw everyone stand still after the ball was kicked, I honestly thought my video feed had glitched. Does anyone know if there was an onside kick over the weekend? I'm not clear on the change around that part. Do you have to notify the officials before attempting one?
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

JohnH19 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:12 am What I noticed more than anything this weekend in the games I watched was the preponderance of short dump off passes. Many teams play a very dull and repetitive brand of football. I’m too lazy to look it up but I wonder how many QB’s averaged even 10 yards per completion.
I looked it up.

There are 15 quarterbacks at ten yards per completion or higher at the moment:

Anthony Richardson
Jordan Love
Tua Tagovailoa
Patrick Mahomes
Jalen Hurts
Trevor Lawrence
Josh Allen
Bryce Young
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Jayden Daniels
Derek Carr
Lamar Jackson
Gardner Minshew

Now if we look at the advanced stat of completed air yards per completion, only Richardson and Lawrence would be over ten there.