Giants doing top 100 players ... have released 91-100

Brian wolf

Re: Giants doing top 100 players ... have released 91-100

Post by Brian wolf »

According to TJ Troup on ProfootballJournal, Cannady was an effective, underrated linebacker for the Giants, who might have been, along with Drazenovich for the Redskins, the first middle linebackers in NFL history?*

Gifford wrote about his physical style in his biography, as he along with Landry, Tunnell and Weinmeister, were leaders of a good early 50s defense.

Al DeRogatis, one of my favorite color commentators, Ray Krouse and John LoVetere--whose daughter I dated--were also underrated linemen for the Giants ...

*Had to edit once I found the PFJ article from 2020. Cannady and Drazenovitch opened the 1954 season as MLBers but the Giants went back to a 5-2 look. Drazenovitch is credited by Troup and Turney in the article as the first to do the position the whole season. In the comments section, Ralph mentions a Packers player, Clayton Tonnemaker, playing the position in 1950. I wonder if he was a decent player?

Cannady started out playing more center than linebacker but finished his last five years at the position. His 14 interceptions and 10 fumble recoveries weren't bad for that short of a career.

Maybe he doesn't deserve to be Top 30 but definitely, Top 50 IMO.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Looks like the final ten are:

10. Andy Robustelli

9. Sam Huff

8. Eli Manning

7. Harry Carson

6. Emlen Tunnell

5. Michael Strahan

4. Frank Gifford

3. Mel Hein

2. Roosevelt Brown

1. Lawrence Taylor

Just my opinion, Eli Manning seems a little too high, should maybe be 11-12. Emlen Tunnell seems a tick low, should be in the top five.

My understanding is only Saints Coach Bum Phillips would have selected George Rogers with the first pick in the 1981 NFL Draft. What a break for the Giants franchise.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Interesting listing. Gifford was higher than I thought, but the face of the team as they became a championship contender, not to mention Madison Ave.

Tunnell should have been higher as well but might be penalized for being on bad teams. I felt he could have been a star on offense as well.

Carson was a lot higher than I thought. A great player, especially on bad teams but got a boost from making the HOF, I believe.

I have no problem with the first three choices. Looking at Strahan's stats, it's amazing he didn't have double digit sack numbers till his fifth season. Imagine his numbers had he not been injured in 2004 or 2006?

Did the Mara family participate in the voting? It says they didn't but you wonder if they had an influence ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Halas Hall wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:17 am
My understanding is only Saints Coach Bum Phillips would have selected George Rogers with the first pick in the 1981 NFL Draft. What a break for the Giants franchise.
I once asked LT how his career might have gone if New Orleans drafted him rather than the Giants.

He said, "I probably would have been in rehab sooner."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

What's your thoughts on the Top 20 John? Did you feel certain players fit your expectations, listing? We're there major surprises?
Do you feel any Giants were wrongfully omitted?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

In my honest opinion Emlen Tunnell was ranked way to low and should have been at least top 5 for sure, Eli for Many Many Reasons was ranked too high in my opinion
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

rewing84 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:04 pm Eli for Many Many Reasons was ranked too high in my opinion
Gary?

I don't really understand Carson>Huff and Brown>Hein. Hein is clearly either 1 or 2 IMO. Huff was a great MLB for a number of years, being Jim Brown's nemesis. The comparisons of the players are pretty straightforward, as two were LBs and two were OLs (and DL in Hein's case). Tunnell should be higher than Strahan & Gifford & Brown.

I think overall the top 100 hit on most of the players, although where players were ranked was sometimes inconsistent. The one guy who I thought was left out was Harry Newman....he should be in over someone like Jeff Hostetler.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Bryan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:25 am
rewing84 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:04 pm Eli for Many Many Reasons was ranked too high in my opinion
Gary?

I don't really understand Carson>Huff and Brown>Hein. Hein is clearly either 1 or 2 IMO. Huff was a great MLB for a number of years, being Jim Brown's nemesis. The comparisons of the players are pretty straightforward, as two were LBs and two were OLs (and DL in Hein's case). Tunnell should be higher than Strahan & Gifford & Brown.

I think overall the top 100 hit on most of the players, although where players were ranked was sometimes inconsistent. The one guy who I thought was left out was Harry Newman....he should be in over someone like Jeff Hostetler.
That would be the main reason right there gary myers i will also agree with you on the fact that newman would be a better fit on the giants 100 list than hostetler sidenote: i graduated from the same high school that jeff hostetler went to