Worst playoff team in NFL history?

CSKreager

Worst playoff team in NFL history?

Post by CSKreager »

I nominate the 2007 Titans, a team that won more games (10) than they had passing touchdowns (9).

It’s insane to think that a team could account for 9 touchdowns in 16 games and make the playoffs.

Heck, they got in over that famously exciting 2007 Browns team with Derek Anderson throwing 29 touchdowns.

29 TD pass team misses playoffs, 9 TD pass team gets in.....

It was a shame how we got stuck with a bad offense that had Vince young, Jeff Fisher’s mustache.... and that was about it).

And their ensuing AFC WC game at San Diego was one of the least exciting playoff games ever.
Brian wolf

Re: Worst playoff team in NFL history?

Post by Brian wolf »

Good points but at least they won 10 games. The 2020 Redskins won their division at 7-9. Alex Smith came back from a terrible injury, and had nearly as many wins at starter(5)as TDs passed(6)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

CSKreager wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:37 am I nominate the 2007 Titans, a team that won more games (10) than they had passing touchdowns (9).

It’s insane to think that a team could account for 9 touchdowns in 16 games and make the playoffs.

Heck, they got in over that famously exciting 2007 Browns team with Derek Anderson throwing 29 touchdowns.

It was a shame how we got stuck with a bad offense that had Vince young, Jeff Fisher’s mustache.... and that was about it).

And their ensuing AFC WC game at San Diego was one of the least exciting playoff games ever.
Good find, Iooking at them top to bottom they just have the feel of a 6-7 win club (their defense was quite good but not amazing) that found a way to finagle 10 wins. Lendale White went for 1100 but at only 3.7 yards a pop. Awful WR situation...
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

I would say the 2010 Seahawks and 2011 Broncos deserve mention.

But credit both for taking a playoff game when they got there.

Also, how about the Steelers team in Big Ben’s final year?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The 1969 Oilers come to mind.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

CSKreager wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:37 am I nominate the 2007 Titans, a team that won more games (10) than they had passing touchdowns (9).

This reminds me of my favorite playoff team of all-time....the 1989 Steelers! They somehow snuck in at 9-7 because three other teams lost on the last week of the regular season. The QB duo of Brister & Blackledge accounted for 10 TD passes. The Bengals, who missed the postseason, threw for 32 TDs that year. I remember the Steelers having WRs like Derek Hill and Mark Stock who couldn't catch anything. Yet this team still beat the Oilers in Houston (and almost beat the Broncos).
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Bryan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:30 pm

This reminds me of my favorite playoff team of all-time....the 1989 Steelers! They somehow snuck in at 9-7 because three other teams lost on the last week of the regular season. The QB duo of Brister & Blackledge accounted for 10 TD passes. The Bengals, who missed the postseason, threw for 32 TDs that year. I remember the Steelers having WRs like Derek Hill and Mark Stock who couldn't catch anything. Yet this team still beat the Oilers in Houston (and almost beat the Broncos).
Did the 89 Steelers have a good run game and defense?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The 1989 Steelers had a pedestrian running game but a good defense, with talent like Lloyd, Woodson, Everett, Lake, Nickerson, Johnson, Little and Woodruff. Had the Broncos on the ropes before Elway rallied them in the playoffs.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call on the 69 Oilers, Chris ... at 6-6-2 they had the fewest wins of any postseason team, if I am not mistaken?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:36 pm Good call on the 69 Oilers, Chris ... at 6-6-2 they had the fewest wins of any postseason team, if I am not mistaken?
Depends if you are making an exception for the 1982 NFL Tournament thing. The 1949 Buffalo Bills in the AAFC won 5 games and made the postseason.