Your Unpopular Football Opinions

James

Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by James »

SeahawkFever wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:58 am
James wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:55 am
SeahawkFever wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:46 am

Why Graham over Unitas in your opinion?

And any 21st century quarterbacks you’d take over Tom Brady?
To me, Otto Graham is the greatest ever! From 1946-1955 he led the Browns to 10 straight title games and went 7-3. The 1948 Browns went undefeated. I would also take Montana barely over Unitas.

I wouldn't take any 21st century quarterback over Brady.
Who would the best quarterback whose prime was primarily in the 70’s be for you? And how about the 90’s?
The 1970's is a tough one as that was when I grew up with and fell in love with football. Probably my favorite QB as a kid in the 1970's was Bob Griese. He was dead accurate. I also liked Staubach, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Pastorini. It's hard to pick the best QB in the 70's, but if I had to I would probably go with Bob Griese.

The 90's is really tough. probably a toss up between Montana/Young, & Troy Aikman.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
conace21

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by conace21 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:39 pm
Wow, uh, I don't think this opinion is shared by a lot of people.
I think a lot more knowledgeable people would share that opinion than the opinion that the 1996 Packers are one of the two worst Super Bowl winners of all time. I think the majority of people on here (lurkers and posters alike) would rate them closer to one of the two best Super Bowl champions.

Favre was at the top of his game. He was the best QB in the NFL, and it wasn't close. He may have been overrated later in his career, but he sure wasn't overrated here. He was brilliant, had mastered Holmgren's offense, and he reigned in most of his heroball tendencies. Even his INT % was tied for the third lowest in the NFL that season.

They weren't a great rushing team for most of the 1996 season, but they stepped up in December and January, rushing for over 200 yards in the regular season finale, and the NFCCG.

They didn't have any stars at CB or LB, but considering that the Packers allowed both the fewest yards and fewest points, I certainly wouldn't consider them weak at those positions. They had solid players: Doug Evans, George Koonce, and Brian Williams all had 8+ year careers. (Craig Newsome's career ended prematurely because of injuries. Wayne Simmons had disciplinary and off-field issues that ended his 7 year career.)