Changes In Modern-Senior HOF Election Process

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Changes In Modern-Senior HOF Election Process

Post by Brian wolf »

With changes in the nomination process, the days of 8-9 members getting nominated and elected, could be over with, at least in the next 3-5 years?

Seniors, coaches and contributors can be nominated but can only fill three spots total, rather than four, when the coach/contributor nominee shared the category. To have three senior nominees get elected, the coach or contributor nominee has to be bypassed, while still getting the 80% vote from voters, who are not only getting younger but favor more recent candidates after 1970.

Super seniors of course, could continue to be ignored, but the modern candidates could be affected as well with classes getting just three or four elected candidates after the changed cutdown process. Yes, more discussion and diversity amongst the reconstituted committees, but their nominations still need voter support in January.

If my information is wrong, please clarify or correct me, because I don't want to see six member classes, but we will see?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: Changes In Modern-Senior HOF Election Process

Post by Ken Crippen »

You pretty much have it correct. There are two new members of each of the three Blue Ribbon Subcommittees to bring new voices, but you still have the same full selection committee in January. The new voices do not have a vote in January.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Ken ... it's unfortunate, like going from a Mercedes to a Volkswagen ...

I feel Kraft will get in this year, at the expense of a senior.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

So, if I am understanding correctly from the original post here, there will be 3 nominees total from the combined group of seniors/coaches/contributors? Also, just curious, is the new process in writing somewhere? On the Hall's website perhaps?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:23 pm Thanks Ken ... it's unfortunate, like going from a Mercedes to a Volkswagen ...

I feel Kraft will get in this year, at the expense of a senior.
I doubt that will happen in all seriously most likely what will happen it will be at the expense of the coaching nominee who ever that may be

Am I in favor of the new process actually yes for various reasons 1. Instead of starting out with over 100 modern nominees we get say 50 modern in total which speeds it up. 2. We could get very shorter selection meetings if they are done properly

if done properly
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

According to Clark Judge at talkoffametwo website, the modern and senior preliminary cutdown list will commence to 50 players each on Sept 30th. In October, the seniors will be cut to 25 semifinalists while the moderns will cut down to 25 semifinalists in November, then 15 finalists in December.

Judge speculated on Twitter, discussing with a member of zoneblitz.com, that he believes five modern candidates out of seven could still be elected but the voting process could also produce only four, or the minimum of three, so fans and historians can't assume classes will have five moderns, from here on out.

It will be interesting to see the lists on Sept.30th, especially with seniors having possibly more players being noted-brought up for cutdown ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

thanks for the head up Brian if they can decide on say 4 out of 7 well id be fine with that