Tight Ends and Defensive Tackles that could be Hall of Very Good

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sheajets

Re: Tight Ends and Defensive Tackles that could be Hall of Very Good

Post by sheajets »

Maybe a bit of a homer pick for TE's but...how about Mickey Shuler?

Wesley Walls perhaps?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Baumhower and Charlie Johnson at nose tackle. Not sure if Ted Washington is eligible yet?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I also like Aaron Thomas as TE/WR, Bob Tucker and for the future, Vernon Davis, Jimmy Graham, who has a HOF case as well.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:05 pm Baumhower and Charlie Johnson at nose tackle. Not sure if Ted Washington is eligible yet?
I actually nominated Baumhower this year.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

SeahawkFever wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:35 pm
I actually nominated Baumhower this year.

With Gradishar in for the Orange Crush -- not many great defenses from two-platoon era left unrepresented in the HOF. The 1982 Killer B's (to extent you'd call then great or very good) have none.

I'd say the mid-1960s Bills --- need Sestak in at some point, but not much chance, I don't think.
1968 Colts --- Bubba was on trajectory until a chain got in his way so he's out. Mike Curtis and Bob Boyd are best bets
but how much chance is realistic.

Baumhower for Fins ... but others can determine was "great" is but he is top player on that group.

There have been some great 1-year defenses or 2-yar this century.

When some of the 2013 Seahawks become elible, they will get their guys --- Wagner, likely Thomas and Sherman.

A lot of the "representation" is marginal, though. Like the 1976 Gold Rush -- had Jimmy Johnson on it, but he was well past his prime, for one example.

Another non-great, very good, maybe --- 1955 Redskins ... they have no one. But that's another one-year, maybe 2 proposition.

Interesting that maybe 95% have at least someone with bust
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I feel like Coach Shula put a tremendous amount of responsibility on Bob Baumhower and maybe some of his stats were down because of it?

I do not think I listed him as one of my five nominees to the Hall of Very Good this year, hopefully he is a finalist next year.

I think Fred Smerlas is in the H of VG. How does Bob B compare with Fred?

Thank you.
Nick
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Halas Hall wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:14 pm I feel like Coach Shula put a tremendous amount of responsibility on Bob Baumhower and maybe some of his stats were down because of it?

I do not think I listed him as one of my five nominees to the Hall of Very Good this year, hopefully he is a finalist next year.

I think Fred Smerlas is in the H of VG. How does Bob B compare with Fred?

Thank you.
Nick
I wonder if Baumhower might have been a better 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT than nose. It was out of necessity that he was moved to nose --- but Dolphins thought he'd be a better NT in the long run. They turned out right. But had Crowder kept his nose clean (ahem) Baumhower might have gone to different team or if he still went to MIA might have pushed Den Herder out of a job.

He was a tall guy but had big, thick body below the knees. I think centers could get into him a little, but he played more like a 4-3 DT, he'd butt the center and try and jerk him by-- the Merlin Olsen move or grab and throw like Lilly. Like that, push/pull. That was his go-to.

I think both had cool stances, though.

Smerlas get his hands inside the centers and pushed and would kind of read where ball was going, just instinctive. Oddly, both were DEs in college (Baumhaower called a DT, but it was a 5-2, more like a 3-4 end).

I think Baumhower the better pass rusher and made more tackles. Smerles the better stuffer, not getting moved, more of the prototype NT of that era. I think he was probably a little faster than Baumhower in the 40, even though he was bigger. Joel Buschbaum remarked about Baumhower's speed one time. Smerlas was a lot stronger -- big time bench and all that. Baumhower more of a country boy strong --- not into football until later in high school, didn't get good until a senior. Smerlas is all Boston -- city kid. Kind of funny. Doesn't mean anything but personalities opposite.

After a couple/three years I think MIA helped Baumhower a little, cocking his stance, allowing him to attack the A-gap or shoulder ... and running some games/stunts, running more 4-man lines on passing downs even a little as a 3-tech in some games I have looked at. Even so, you could still see him whip centers plenty -- he was plenty strong, just not a powerhouse.

Both great --- when you watch you an see why they were Pro Bowlers so often
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:24 pm I also like Aaron Thomas as TE/WR, Bob Tucker and for the future, Vernon Davis, Jimmy Graham, who has a HOF case as well.
Riley Odoms is the best eligible TE not in HOVG. I would pick him before Trumpy.

Charle Young and Bob Tucker were very similar, Young is probably going to get the nod there because he played on better teams. I might pick Ray Chester before either, I don't know.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Forgot Tim Krumrie at nose tackle as well. Deserves HOVG, takes on clips and blocks and still tackled the ball carrier. Not sure if he held the point of attack like Smerlas, Baumhower or Charlie Johnson though?

Good call on Riley Odom's at TE but I also like Novacek for next TE in HOVG ... his importance in the Cowboys three championships is beyond numbers and underrated blocking as well. He has the distinction of being part of The Great Wall Of Dallas and being Troy Aikmans' security blanket downfield.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:21 pm Forgot Tim Krumrie at nose tackle as well. Deserves HOVG, takes on clips and blocks and still tackled the ball carrier. Not sure if he held the point of attack like Smerlas, Baumhower or Charlie Johnson though?
Was not as big as Smerlas... but Krumrie got down the line like Baumhaower did and made a lot of tackles ... Early in Baumhower's career he was getting 100 tackles a year, like Krumrie

I wonder if Krumrie had short(er) arms. He uses his shoulders more that others, but when he sues hads, does not get the lockout--the reach like others... but hustled, never quit...