NFL broadcast preservation status

Brian wolf

Re: NFL broadcast preservation status

Post by Brian wolf »

For collectors/traders, all of these broadcasted games are on oldtimesports.net
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:18 pm Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but from the 1977 season onward is when we start to see the majority of NFL games have a full broadcast available in some archive?

And for playoff games in the rounds before the Super Bowl, would that be more like the mid 70’s?

Of the games I’ve only read about but never seen anything more than highlights of, one that I think would be interesting to see just how it played out is the 1979 Monsoon Bowl between the Bucs and Chiefs.

Obviously an incredibly low scoring game, but from the NFL Films footage we do have, it appears to be played on as drenched a field as I’ve ever seen.
When I went back and watched games for my book on the seventies, the latest playoff game that I could not find a full TV broadcast was the 1976 AFC Divisional Playoff between New England and Oakland. Most early-seventies playoff games I had to rely on radio broadcasts, although everyone can breathe easy that the thrilling 5-0 Dallas vs. Detroit game from 1970 has been fully preserved on video.

As it comes to the Super Bowl, I and II's broadcasts are lost, although NFL Films stitched together much of the footage of I. III somehow completely survived, while IV exists only in black and white from what I believe is a Canadian broadcast. V is missing much of the fourth quarter. After that, every Super Bowl has been preserved.

And that Chiefs-Buccaneers game from 1979? No full TV broadcast exists, to my knowledge, but there is a full radio broadcast of the game available. If you're savvy, you can find it ;)
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JohnR wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:47 pm
JeffreyMiller wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:11 pm It still amazes me that broadcasts of the 1961 NFL Title Game and 1962 AFL Title Games, for example, are in circulation but we still can't get a complete film of the first Super Bowl, which came five years later.
Film? You mean tape? NFL Films put together a nice complete game film synched to the radio and titled it "The Lost Game". It starts with some salvaged network TV player intros which is pretty neat. The partial tape that was found is locked away at the Paley Center. Super Bowl 2 is the only SB from which all TV video appears lost.
Yes I am aware of that and have it in my collection. I am talking about the complete broadcast.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Brian wolf wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:44 pm For collectors/traders, all of these broadcasted games are on oldtimesports.net
If it's on-line, then it loses its collectability.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:35 pm As it comes to the Super Bowl, I and II's broadcasts are lost, although NFL Films stitched together much of the footage of I. III somehow completely survived, while IV exists only in black and white from what I believe is a Canadian broadcast. V is missing much of the fourth quarter. After that, every Super Bowl has been preserved.
Most of the Colts 4th quarter scoring drive is missing. Jerry Hill's TD is shown. Also, a nice Super Bowl IV upgrade surfaced a few years ago. The pre-game and quarters 1-3 are in color. 4th quarter and post-game remain the old CBC version.
https://youtu.be/y7VnLWgxk7c?si=hQ-NiwcvGNKYr8iO
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:35 pm
SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:18 pm Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but from the 1977 season onward is when we start to see the majority of NFL games have a full broadcast available in some archive?

And for playoff games in the rounds before the Super Bowl, would that be more like the mid 70’s?

Of the games I’ve only read about but never seen anything more than highlights of, one that I think would be interesting to see just how it played out is the 1979 Monsoon Bowl between the Bucs and Chiefs.

Obviously an incredibly low scoring game, but from the NFL Films footage we do have, it appears to be played on as drenched a field as I’ve ever seen.
When I went back and watched games for my book on the seventies, the latest playoff game that I could not find a full TV broadcast was the 1976 AFC Divisional Playoff between New England and Oakland. Most early-seventies playoff games I had to rely on radio broadcasts, although everyone can breathe easy that the thrilling 5-0 Dallas vs. Detroit game from 1970 has been fully preserved on video.

As it comes to the Super Bowl, I and II's broadcasts are lost, although NFL Films stitched together much of the footage of I. III somehow completely survived, while IV exists only in black and white from what I believe is a Canadian broadcast. V is missing much of the fourth quarter. After that, every Super Bowl has been preserved.

And that Chiefs-Buccaneers game from 1979? No full TV broadcast exists, to my knowledge, but there is a full radio broadcast of the game available. If you're savvy, you can find it ;)
That Lions-Cowboys 5-0 game featured two Hall of Fame cornerback tandems (Lem Barney and Dick LeBeau, and Herb Adderley and Mel Renfro).

Interestingly, the game featured eight punts by both teams as well as three turnovers by Detroit and one by Dallas. So that’s 20 drives where the offense ended up giving the ball back to the other team. Also, Detroit despite not scoring also had no penalties.