2024 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Re: 2024 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by Halas Hall »

2024 nominees:

Matt Hazeltine

Ernie McMillian

Jethro Pugh

Buford "Baby" Ray

Wayne Walker
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Jay Z wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:37 am
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:19 pm Rashad was much better with Kramer than Tarkenton but Kramer also forced the ball to him, which resulted in interceptions. Rashad was somewhat similar to Chris Carter without the TDs of course. People wonder what he might have done had he stayed in St Louis for the Coryell era?

Though a good career, I also like John Gilliam for the HOVG. A home-run deep threat.
Then you've got Sammy White, who actually had more TD catches than Rashad. If there are two other contemporary players on the same team that are arguably as good, I'm not likely to elevate one of them. Same deal with Dowler in Green Bay, compared to Dale and McGee doesn't separate himself enough.

I'd probably go for Chandler or Jefferson in San Diego or the real wild card of Nat Moore in Miami. Unlike the Viking and Charger receivers, who were helped by their offenses, Moore was hurt by his, and still scored 67 TDs.
Why was Nat Moore hurt by the offenses he played in and why were the Viking and Charger receivers helped by theirs in your opinion?
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

The five people I am nominating for Hall of Very Good this year (never done this before, so let me know what you think):

Wilber Marshall

Dave Brown

Al Baker

Bob Baumhower

and George Seifert

A question I have about coaches: I notice that for Blanton Collier, his years as an assistant coach are listed in addition to head coach. Are years like that a factor? If so, then Seifert’s years as a defensive coordinator and head coach afterwards could both be factored in.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:47 pm
Jay Z wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:37 am
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:19 pm Rashad was much better with Kramer than Tarkenton but Kramer also forced the ball to him, which resulted in interceptions. Rashad was somewhat similar to Chris Carter without the TDs of course. People wonder what he might have done had he stayed in St Louis for the Coryell era?

Though a good career, I also like John Gilliam for the HOVG. A home-run deep threat.
Then you've got Sammy White, who actually had more TD catches than Rashad. If there are two other contemporary players on the same team that are arguably as good, I'm not likely to elevate one of them. Same deal with Dowler in Green Bay, compared to Dale and McGee doesn't separate himself enough.

I'd probably go for Chandler or Jefferson in San Diego or the real wild card of Nat Moore in Miami. Unlike the Viking and Charger receivers, who were helped by their offenses, Moore was hurt by his, and still scored 67 TDs.
Why was Nat Moore hurt by the offenses he played in and why were the Viking and Charger receivers helped by theirs in your opinion?
Because the Vikings and Chargers passed a lot, and the Dolphins didn't. Dolphins didn't start passing a lot until Marino arrived, before they were well below average.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:30 pm The five people I am nominating for Hall of Very Good this year (never done this before, so let me know what you think):

Wilber Marshall

Dave Brown

Al Baker

Bob Baumhower

and George Seifert

A question I have about coaches: I notice that for Blanton Collier, his years as an assistant coach are listed in addition to head coach. Are years like that a factor? If so, then Seifert’s years as a defensive coordinator and head coach afterwards could both be factored in.
Are you a PFRA member?
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

sluggermatt15 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:24 am
SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:30 pm The five people I am nominating for Hall of Very Good this year (never done this before, so let me know what you think):

Wilber Marshall

Dave Brown

Al Baker

Bob Baumhower

and George Seifert

Are you a PFRA member?
Yes. I became one earlier this year, so that’s why I said I’d never done this.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Wilber Marshall

Dave Brown

Al Baker

Bob Baumhower

and George Seifert

Wilber Marshall - GREAT call. Should be in the HOF IMHO.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

My HOVG nominations this year;
Gary Garrison
Bob DeMarco
Dick Bass
Erich Barnes
Jim Nance
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

PA Wingman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:03 pm My HOVG nominations this year;
Gary Garrison
Bob DeMarco
Dick Bass
Erich Barnes
Jim Nance
Erich Barnes is already in. They'll likely give you a chance to nominate another player.

For reference, here is a link to the HOVG list:

https://profootballresearchers.com/hall ... -good.html
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

Ha! Ha! I went through the list but I guess I had a senior moment and my eyes missed him.