1991-92 World League

JohnTurney

Re: 1991-92 World League

Post by JohnTurney »

Reaser wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:13 pm
JohnTurney wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm1991-92 Surge was interesting team -- John Nies was on MTV's "The Real World". Jack Younbglood was an exec and did radio color commentary. Louis Riddick on the team. Wrestler Goldberg, Mike "The Tackle" Jones, future NFL Pro Bowler Micheal Sinclair ... also others interesting players.
Riddick had a huge pick-six in the semifinal against the Dragons.

And yup! Very interesting team. Jim Haslett on the staff both years/DC in '92. Mike Pringle CFL all-time leading rusher was on the '92 team. One of the million receivers named Eddie Brown in that era was on '92 team, and as stated, also other interesting players
Lee Salz was a friend of mine ... got some stories ... one not safe for a forum, definitely R-rated. Surge is somewhat like the '87 Rams scab team .. .Suge Knight, 2 ILBers the sons of the LBer coach, Cullen Bryant, two American Gladiators among other things,
Dusty Sloan

Post by Dusty Sloan »

Bob Gill wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:11 pm
Dusty Sloan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am I continue to work on compiling information on the 1991-92 World League of American Football.

If anyone has game films, press releases and/or game books from those seasons, please reach out! I am attempting to correct the record on certain things, mostly incorrect stats, in-season transactions and in-season uniform number changes.
This sounds like you have the official year-end stats for those two seasons, since you're looking for mistakes that can be corrected. In case I'm reading that wrong and you're also looking for the official stats, I do have the year-end stats for 1991 and '92 if you need them.
Hey Bob! I do have the official stats out of the 1992 and 1995 Record and Fact Books. What I am attempting to do is figure out the stuff from 1992 that wasn't included in the 1995 book.

Also, the stat keeping wasn't completely great. For instance, in 1991, the NY/NJ stat crew gave a catch to an Operation Discovery (non-US-born) defensive back when it was one of the main tailbacks. Also in 1991, the same crew gave three carries and a catch to a Frankfurt DB - which I haven't been able to confirm because no one can find the game film.

Except that NFL Films has it - and it would take about 5 years' work to afford to get all 106 games from 1991-92...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Dusty Sloan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:08 pm Hey Bob! I do have the official stats out of the 1992 and 1995 Record and Fact Books. What I am attempting to do is figure out the stuff from 1992 that wasn't included in the 1995 book.
OK, looking at what I have now, the information on both seasons comes from consecutive pages. I guess that means it's from the 1995 book you mentioned, which means you've already seen it. Oh well.
Dusty Sloan

Post by Dusty Sloan »

Which has been the frustrating part of this search for the last 30+ years, Bob!

Back then, there was no internet to get the game books or the full replays. And, sadly, the 1995 fact book didn't provide the info about 1992 that the 1992 fact book did about 1991.

Been difficult to find those things more than three decades later. They are out there...somewhere...
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:49 pm
Get an Ireland franchise in there! I believe the Rooneys are trying to drum-up even-more NFL-interest there! The Dublin Brewers! Guinness Stadium, perhaps! Their colours could be whatever the exact shade-of-black the Guinness Beer is and whatever the exact colour of its...Head! A capital 'D' on the helmet shaped like a stein handle! The helmet would be the colour of the Head, the 'D' and single stripe and BIG number(s) on each side of the single stripe (NYG, Tarkenton era style) would be the colour of the Guinness Beer itself!
This entire paragraph made me smile. :) (also insert hand clap emoji)
Thanks for the compliment, Chris!

And I'm not even a big Guinness-nut! The best head of stouts, IMO! I remember drinking it in bottles in '91 whilst screaming as my Steelers were coming back against the Giants on that VERY last home game, still to this day, that they lost on MNF! I don't KNOW how Guinness is the BEST head of any stout out there although there are better stouts that taste better IMO. I'd like to visit the brewery and see the reason WHY.

A coworker is on vacation at the moment. He's going to tour Ireland - yes, visit the Guinness Brewery - and then UK and see a Phillies/Mets game in London. So that 'spirit' inspired me to write that paragraph!

Please come back, NFL Europe! Include a (Rooney) Ireland team, make it super-low %-age of teams making playoffs (perhaps just division-winners/tie-breakers to win the divisions if necessary), and I promise that I'm in!