Where do Hawks go from here?

Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Where do Hawks go from here?

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Seriously?

Young QBs don't improve when their receiving corps keeps getting worse with every successive season.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:And Reaser - aren't we underestimating the fact that Wilson can improve?
I would certainly think it would be fair to assume he would improve.
Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Seriously? Young QBs don't improve when their receiving corps keeps getting worse with every successive season.
Wilson will be going into 4th year as a starter. Take someone like Brett Favre, going into his 4th year as the starter for Green Bay he was without Sharpe, making the receiving corps obviously worse, yet he ended up having one of his best years - some would say it was his best year.

Or a contemporary like Robert Griffin III, his best season was his rookie year, but for his 2nd season they got him a better receiving TE, then for his 3rd season they give him Andre Roberts AND DeSean Jackson. So his receiving corps has been getting better every season but it hasn't correlated to success for him or for the team.

Seattle hasn't ignored WR/TE in the draft, either. Paul Richardson (and Kevin Norwood) last year and Luke Willson two years ago, who has potential, speed, hands, he's shown flashes of becoming a beast as a receiving TE . . .
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Seriously?

Young QBs don't improve when their receiving corps keeps getting worse with every successive season.
I don't think they could NOT target this position in the draft, albeit with a late pick, and its a pretty good free-agent crop particularly if you consider the possible availability of Larry Fitzgerald and Mike Wallace. I'd expect that opening week next year we'll think their receiving core looks better - on paper, at least - than opening 2014. Percy Harvin was never going to be The Man at wideout, he's always been more a slash type, even at Fla. And a Larry Fitgerald at this point might well take a deep discount to play with a real QB on a contending team that really wants / needs him.

I'm probably a little more worried if they cannot coax a couple more seasons out of Lynch.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Reaser wrote:Wilson will be going into 4th year as a starter. Take someone like Brett Favre, going into his 4th year as the starter for Green Bay he was without Sharpe, making the receiving corps obviously worse, yet he ended up having one of his best years - some would say it was his best year.

Or a contemporary like Robert Griffin III, his best season was his rookie year, but for his 2nd season they got him a better receiving TE, then for his 3rd season they give him Andre Roberts AND DeSean Jackson. So his receiving corps has been getting better every season but it hasn't correlated to success for him or for the team.

Seattle hasn't ignored WR/TE in the draft, either. Paul Richardson (and Kevin Norwood) last year and Luke Willson two years ago, who has potential, speed, hands, he's shown flashes of becoming a beast as a receiving TE . . .
Wilson is a long way away from being where Favre was in 1995. He'd had the benefit of three seasons with an All-Pro receiver, and was coming off a couple of seasons with more than 550 passing attempts. That said, if Doug Baldwin is ready to make the leap from a #2 receiver to a #1, then yeah, Wilson will probably be fine. But to me, a Lynch-less Seahawks looks a lot more like the 2012 Jets than the 1995 Packers. Not that I think Wilson is one butt-fumble away from being run out of town....
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Don't think your time machines go back far enough, Johnny U in 1960 against the Bears, a highly motivated Doug Atkins nearly 100 lbs larger crushes his, blood from his nose eyes, everywhere. He comes back in after, supposedly, having mud and sod stuffed in his nose to stop the bleeding - not exactly Roger Goodell's NFL - and throws a 40 yard TD to Lenny Moore to win the game 24-20.