Burning game tickets in 1978

JoeZagorski

Burning game tickets in 1978

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys,

I don't know if it's true or not, but can anyone confirm for me the story that around 100 New York Giants fans burned their tickets outside of Giants Stadium just prior to the Rams-Giants game on December 3rd, 1978? Any info that you can provide regarding this is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Veeshik_ya

Re: Burning game tickets in 1978

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Yep, it's true.

Or to be more precise, one frustrated Giants fan named Ron Freiman, a season ticket holder for 23 years, placed an ad in the paper asking fans to send him their tickets so they could be burned in front of Giants stadium before the game. Apparently he burned about 100 tickets in a bedpan with Wellington Mara's name printed on the front.

Courtesy of L.A. Times.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

That was the first Giants home game following the Miracle in the Meadowlands debacle.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks Guys!

Joe Zagorski
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

You know, that bedpan should be in the Hall of Fame. We need some Giants fans up there in Jersey to locate Ron Freiman and see if he still has it. I think it would make a great exhibit in the fans section of the HOF.

Joe Zagorski
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Joe Zagorski wrote:You know, that bedpan should be in the Hall of Fame. We need some Giants fans up there in Jersey to locate Ron Freiman and see if he still has it. I think it would make a great exhibit in the fans section of the HOF.

Joe Zagorski
No doubt. Wouldn't it be great to track that guy down? He'd probably be shocked that his 15 minutes of fame turned into a half hour. :lol: