Jerry Rice admits to using stickum during career.

PapaShogun

Jerry Rice admits to using stickum during career.

Post by PapaShogun »

Make you think any different of the guy?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ne-did-it/

Re: Jerry Rice admits to using stickum during career.

Post by 26554 »

Well, stickum was illegal during his playing career, so...

It does make him look foolish/hypocritical, since he's been critical of Belichick and Brady and is now playing the same "everybody does/did it" card that NE defenders are. Not saying it makes it right, but as with NE, I don't think it means an asterisk should be put next to his accomplishments, however.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Jerry used stickum and now everybody wears gloves that pretty much have the same effect. Jerry Rice is still probably the greatest offensive player in the history of the league.

I'm getting sick and tired of these Mickey Mouse controversies. Let's rise above them.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnH19 wrote:I'm getting sick and tired of these Mickey Mouse controversies. Let's rise above them.
This, and not just in football.

Will say that I would prefer football played without gloves, and that I always laugh when I see "greatest hands" lists with players who's gloves - and not their hands - make the catches, especially when there's numerous players throughout history that had great hands and didn't need gloves to do the work for them.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

At least Baseball does something right: "great glove, no stick."
As for "great hands" - how about Christiaan Barnard?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Reaser wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:I'm getting sick and tired of these Mickey Mouse controversies. Let's rise above them.
This, and not just in football.

Will say that I would prefer football played without gloves, and that I always laugh when I see "greatest hands" lists with players who's gloves - and not their hands - make the catches, especially when there's numerous players throughout history that had great hands and didn't need gloves to do the work for them.
I saw the film of Super Bowl VI recently and there was a closeup of Lance Alworth's hands. He wasn't wearing gloves. Nor was he in his peak years in San Diego.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

I think this is pretty funny. Would using stickum have helped him catch a few passes? Sure but he had to be open and get his hands on the ball to catch it. It doesn't act as a magnet.