Games with deceptive final scores

CSKreager

Re: Games with deceptive final scores

Post by CSKreager »

1991 Saints/49ers Week 14

The final was 38-24, but that was a tie score until Jerry Rice scored a 47 yard TD after the 2 minute warning. Then with under 30 seconds left, a Steve Walsh fumbled snap was returned to the 1 and Tom Rathman scored on the next play
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In defense of the 78-79 Oilers, its true the Steelers were obviously the better team, especially with extra rest but the Oilers showed their toughness winning big playoff road wins over the Patriots--Pastorini's best game--and the Chargers, where they were able to steal offensive signals from the Charger offense. Yet, with the Tyler Rose carrying them throughout the season and being tired come playoff time, Pastorini had to come through and just didnt have the receiving weapons to do it.

Once Donnie Shell knocked Campbell out of the 78 Championship game, it was over with Dante's terrible game and Burrough not catching a pass and the Oilers defense was simply on the field too long in the 79 game. In hindsight, what if Ronnie Coleman, their leading rusher before Campbell, had been utilized more as a runner and they spotlighted Billy Johnson more as a receiver? The Oilers had also sent Jimmie Giles, an athletic tight end to the Bucs before the 78 season. Not their kind of blocker sure but could his pass catch ability have helped their team, though with Caster and underrated Mike Barber ahead of him, he had to develop with another team.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

As I have mentioned before, the 1967 Packers playoff win over the Rams could have been alot different had Gossett for LA had hit his early FG attempts. Instead, the Packers go up 14-7 at the half and take over defensively in the second half, with Williams and Dale starring on offense. Despite four turnovers, the offensive line controlled the Fearsome Foursome ... you wonder in hindsight what Unitas and the Colts might have done against GB but the Rams were fired up and eliminated them the previous weekend. I still believe the Rams should have hosted the Packers in LA.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

CSKreager wrote:1991 Saints/49ers Week 14

The final was 38-24, but that was a tie score until Jerry Rice scored a 47 yard TD after the 2 minute warning. Then with under 30 seconds left, a Steve Walsh fumbled snap was returned to the 1 and Tom Rathman scored on the next play
Actually, Walsh got the snap, but the ball slipped out of his hand as he tried to spike it to stop the clock.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Packers at Dallas in the 1995 NFC Championship. Was an 11-point game but Green Bay had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Dallas scored early in the 4th to take the lead. Packers got into Dallas territory then Favre was intercepted by Larry Brown. Dallas then took an 11-point lead. Was a game that Green Bay almost took a lead on the first few plays -- Jurkovich returned a fumble for a touchdown but it was called back. Dallas then built a good-sized lead but the Packers came back and took the lead. Was much more back and forth than the final score indicated.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bryan wrote:
CSKreager wrote:Game closer than final score: 1979 Oilers/Steelers AFC Championship Game (27-13). That was a 1 score game almost the entire way (heck Houston actually had an early lead) and Bleier's game winning touchdown didn't come until 1 minute left.
The Steelers were clearly superior on that 79 AFC Championship game. The Steelers offense scored 3 TDs to Houston's offense 0. The Steelers could consistently move the ball, the Oilers couldn't run at all. Pastorini completed some miraculous passes, otherwise Houston had nothing going for them. The Steelers outgained Houston by over 100 yards, had twice as many first downs, and outrushed the Oilers 161 to 24. The Oilers were lucky the game was close.
The Steelers were superior to everybody that season and the year before. Oilers were most likely the second-best team in the NFL that year, and possibly the year before. Houston beat everybody in 1979 - including the Steelers. They also beat the Steelers at 3 Rivers in 78.

The 78 Championship - the weather clearly was a factor and much of the game turned when the Steelers scored (I think - it's Monday morning and this is off the top of my head) - I think the Steelers scored 17 points in the last 2-3 minutes of the first half to make it 31-3. By that point, it was all academic. Weather isn't an excuse, but that game likely would have been closer without that 2-3 minute stretch.

The 79 Championship - Neither Pastorini nor Campbell were anywhere close to 100%. Mike Renfro, their third receiver, was #1 for a lot of the season because Burrough and Billy White Shoes were both injured. And they would have tied the game going into the 4th quarter in Pittsburgh had the Renfro call gone the other way.

Not saying that Houston was in Pittsburgh's class - but in my opinion, they were the biggest threat to the Steelers, especially in 1979. They split the regular season with Pittsburgh in 77, 78, and 79. They beat the Cowboys in 79. They had 3 Hall of Famers on defense. Vernon Perry had an incredible playoffs in 79 - knocked away Denver's last gasp in the WC, still record 4 ints in the Divisional, and a int ret for a TD in the AFC Championship. People always look at the late 70s Oilers and talk about Campbell and Pastorini. But their defense was as good as anybody's and significantly underrated.

The Steelers weren't likely going to get beat, period. We're talking about one of the great dynasties in NFL history. I'd put that Oiler team up against a lot of teams that won Super Bowls. Pittsburgh only lost one home playoff game in the 1970s - to the 72 Dolphins. Pastorini was one of the few quarterbacks to win in Pittsburgh more than once during their dynasty (I think Stabler was the other). Most QBs didn't win at all. I think - I'll have to double check - but I think that Houston was the only team to win in Pittsburgh after trailing or tied going into the 4th quarter during the dynasty years. That was in 74. I understand how one could look at that rivalry having only watched the playoff games and think that it wasn't as close as the Steelers/Raiders. But overall, the Steelers were the best team in the NFL -- one of the best in history -- and there's a really good argument that the Oilers were #2 in 78/79.

And the stats from the 79 game - and this underscores what I'm saying about their defense -- those Oiler teams won quite a few games that were statistically unbalanced. They just found a way to win several games that didn't look good on paper. I always thought that was because their defense made a big difference in those games.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call on the 1995/96 Cowboys-Packers game GameBeforeTheMoney ... that game had me sweating bullets because the Cowboys had no answer for Robert Brooks. Once Favre threw that bad interception though, with miscommunication with his receiver ... I knew the Cowboys had it.

Terrible Interceptions By Favre In Postseason

1995 NFC Championship -- pass intercepted by Brown with Dallas in the 4th quarter ...
2003 NFC Divisional vs Philly ... Up for grab interception that helped Philly win in OT
2007 NFC Champ vs NY ... Was it overtime when Favre threw interception on miscommunication with Driver?
2009 NFC Champ vs NO ... with Vikes, Favre threw a bad interception over middle, that allowed Saints to win.

Also bad interception games vs Rams in 2001/02 Divisional round and 2004/05 WC round vs Vikings

Though I am a huge fan and think he is the best pure passer I have ever seen, he isnt exactly Joe Montana in the postseason ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In the 2000/01 playoffs, the Titans were ready to take a 13-10 lead over the Ravens in the 4th quarter when the Ravens blocked the FG attempt, returned it for a TD and took a 17-10 lead. Later, on a pass that was behind Eddie George and tipped to Ray Lewis, who intercepted and returned the throw for a TD and emphatic win, yet this game was a slug-fest and either team would have went all the way had the Titans prevailed IMO ...

In the 2017/18 playoffs, the Steelers were tough in coming back against the Jaguars, who did what they wanted most of the game and won more convincing than the final score. The Steelers did the exact same thing playing the Browns in the playoffs in 2020/21 with Big Ben trying to lead a comeback after throwing earlier interceptions that put the team in a huge hole.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In the 2015/16 playoffs despite hardly running the ball against KC, the Patriots controlled the game with their passing and won more convincing than the final score indicated. Down 27-13, the Chiefs never had a sense of urgency--a criticism of Andy Reid going back to the 2004/05 SB--and the Chiefs were more content to make the final score look better than going exclusive two-minute drill. Maybe the Chiefs felt Alex Smith couldnt lead a comeback but with his mobility, I dont buy it. It just seemed like the Chiefs were exhausted on offense.

Despite playing well and leading the Chiefs to the postseason the next two seasons, Smith's inability to beat the Steelers and Titans in the divisional rounds led Reid to take a chance on a more dynamic passer where Mahomes was ready in 2018 ...
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote:In the 2015/16 playoffs despite hardly running the ball against KC, the Patriots controlled the game with their passing and won more convincing than the final score indicated.
New England had 38 rushing yards in that game.

The 2015 Patriots were all Brady all the time