(More) Thoughts on Super Bowl V

Bryan

Re: (More) Thoughts on Super Bowl V

Post by Bryan »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Who wins MVP if it was given to the winning team? I was thinking Tom Nowatzke, but maybe a defensive player would deserve it.
I think in terms of the actual game, Earl Morrall on offense or Roy Hilton on defense. Hilton not only menaced Morton all game, he also caused holding penalties against Ralph Neely. The Colts offense was dead in the water until Morrall entered the game. He was the catalyst.

In terms of how MVP voting usually goes, it probably would have been given to Mike Curtis or Jim O'Brien.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I truly believe network employees stole, hid or sold the videotaped games. I also believe NFL Films still have copies of the broadcasts, though their own employees probably kept alot of broadcasts for themselves ... Its a shame because alot of great games like the 1968 AFL Championship and 1966 NFL Championship should be seen by fans of all ages ...

If there should have been an MVP for the SB winning Colts, it should have been Roy Hilton, who had a great pass rush throughout the game ...
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:I truly believe network employees stole, hid or sold the videotaped games. I also believe NFL Films still have copies of the broadcasts, though their own employees probably kept alot of broadcasts for themselves ... Its a shame because alot of great games like the 1968 AFL Championship and 1966 NFL Championship should be seen by fans of all ages ...

If there should have been an MVP for the SB winning Colts, it should have been Roy Hilton, who had a great pass rush throughout the game ...
Yes, the actual game broadcasts would be better than the NFL Films retrospectives.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I can't wait until someone who's had the entire game in his or her attic all this time simply gives it to the NFL and allow the whole telecast to be available. Of course the entire 4th quarter all the way to Virginia Halas giving the Trophy to the Colts in the locker room (include commercials too). Correct me if wrong, but I believe she did award them the Trophy.

It was the first Super Bowl of my life. Likely I was in a crib in some living room "watching" it. That adds to my soft-spot for the event. The 'Boys playing in their unusual blue jerseys contrasting with the Colts' whites in that Florida sun adds even more glitter with me. And scoreboard-wise, it was very competitive and suspenseful to the very end! You like defensive football? Well wasn't it both D's that made the game so..."Blunder"-some??
There was some nice 4th quarter video from that game on YouTube 5-6 years ago (plus interviews). It was from an NBC Overnight program that aired on 1/18/71. Unfortunately it's no longer available.

The Colts-Cowboys clash was my first Super Bowl as well. After that, Sunday's were never the same.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Brian wolf wrote:I truly believe network employees stole, hid or sold the videotaped games. I also believe NFL Films still have copies of the broadcasts, though their own employees probably kept alot of broadcasts for themselves ... Its a shame because alot of great games like the 1968 AFL Championship and 1966 NFL Championship should be seen by fans of all ages ...
You failed to mention erased which is the reason given by former network employees. The videotapes were expensive and were reused. The TV station employee who recorded the 90 minutes of SB1 that's in legal limbo did indeed steal the tapes (does anyone think he wrote the station a check for them?). What I find interesting is how much football the CBC saved on kinescope film. Tons of CFL was saved and even a couple NFL games ('61 Packers-Giants & SB 4). Gotta wonder what else NFL might have been saved up in the great white north?

SB V was the first Super Bowl I watched (I was 10). I recall being bored and tuning out at halftime.