1978 AFC West

Brian wolf

Re: 1978 AFC West

Post by Brian wolf »

Largent was a tough SOB though ... He got revenge on Harden with a great hit during a special teams play later on ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

racepug wrote:
Retro Rider wrote:when Seattle was flagged for having too many men on the field.
It was a bogus penalty. The "penalty" came about because a Seattle player left the field through the (back of the) end zone as opposed to the sideline, which apparently was illegal (I don't know if it still is). Said player was promptly dropped from the team but I've always felt that that was one of those rules that shouldn't have been (like the so-called "Tuck Rule" that cost the Raiders in that playoff game against the Patriots several years later). Either way, those heartbreaking losses to DEN (and other things - such as Mike Harden knocking Steve Largent out in a game in the late '80s) cemented me as a Broncos hater at the time (and that's never changed for me all these years later).
Exiting the field through the end zone was a penalty when I was in high school. I am assuming that's still on the books.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Very great comments all along here!

Can we possibly, dare, say that San Diego strictly second-half of '78 (7-1, lone loss w/out Fouts) were stronger than...'79?? It may be stretching things (or maybe not), but just a thought. An irony it would indeed be being that no playoff game was won end-of-'70s - yet SD posted one each in both '80 and '81, thus appearing in CCs, when they seemingly were lesser. Especially in '81 without Dean!

A '1978 vs 1979 Raiders' thread/debate may possibly be warranted. Neither team really smelled like a Super Bowl team (although it has been said here by some that they could have beaten Pittsburgh regular or even a post-season upset), but perhaps had ingredients already intact to explode at any time into that very caliber. Perhaps there were examples in '79 to hint this. Comeback at New Orleans MNF, perhaps? But no Stabler in '80 and no Millen yet in '79 for mere starters. Very remarkable of Matt to have not even been a MLB in college (though the college, itself, being..."Linebacker U"), yet he immediately took helm as the defense's "quarterback" (and with...Hendricks present, mind you)! Yes, plenty of the same Madden guys both '79 and '80 (and Flores being HC of both), but still a big difference! Those new 1980 guys especially!
racepug

Post by racepug »

Jay Z wrote:Exiting the field through the end zone was a penalty when I was in high school. I am assuming that's still on the books.
Dumb rule. I don't see how a player exiting the field of play through the end zone has any bearing on what happens on the field.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Largent was a tough SOB though ... He got revenge on Harden with a great hit during a special teams play later on ...
It was on a pass interception (by Harden) that Steve Largent absolutely DRILLED him (during the runback). I watched that highlight not too long ago - the play was negated due to a penalty but that didn't stop Steve Largent from getting his revenge! {BTW - when the Kingdome was taken down a poll was taken amongst Seahawks fans and Steve Largent clocking Mike Harden was voted the #1 Seahawks moment by the fans - I certainly loved it!}
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great call ... I thought it was on a special teams play. Do you remember WR Daryl Turner ? A great speed complement to Largent. His career ended too soon.
JeffEby

Post by JeffEby »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:and then the Oilers at the Astrodome in the finale, 45-24! Yes, not that they obviously needed it, end of day, but Houston still did have home-field in the Wild Card Game to play for.
Interesting. Just for fun, let's switch the Holy Roller result (even under the rules at the time, the refs should have (or at least could have) ruled that Stabler threw an incomplete pass, and Banaszak intentionally batted the ball forward). Denver and San Diego would both be at 10-6, but the Broncos still win the division based on division wins tiebreaker. But the Houston - San Diego finale would have been for the final Wild Card spot - if the Chargers win they go 10-6 and beat the Oilers on the tiebreak. Basically, a play-in game.

I know you can't just change one result and assume everything else is the same. But it is fun to play what-if.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Do you remember WR Daryl Turner ? A great speed complement to Largent. His career ended too soon.
Yes, I do. He got off to a strong start with the 'hawks (so much so that we Seahawks fans thought he was better than Steelers' WR Louis Lipps) but he flamed out pretty quickly. I just so happen to have read something recently about him having had a drug problem which, if true, explains a LOT.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

racepug wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Do you remember WR Daryl Turner ? A great speed complement to Largent. His career ended too soon.
Yes, I do. He got off to a strong start with the 'hawks (so much so that we Seahawks fans thought he was better than Steelers' WR Louis Lipps) but he flamed out pretty quickly. I just so happen to have read something recently about him having had a drug problem which, if true, explains a LOT.
He did in fact have a drug problem which severely hampered his career.

Incredible though how in 4 seasons, 36 of his 101 career regular season receptions went for touchdowns. He was a lethal deep threat
racepug

Post by racepug »

sheajets wrote:
racepug wrote:
He did in fact have a drug problem which severely hampered his career.

Incredible though how in 4 seasons, 36 of his 101 career regular season receptions went for touchdowns. He was a lethal deep threat
I remember one game in Denver when Dave Krieg threw a bomb to Daryl Turner on the very first play of the game and the play went for a touchdown. That was a rare win for the Seahawks in Denver (something like 27 - 24).