The Most "Viking" of the Minnesota Vikings

RyanChristiansen

The Most "Viking" of the Minnesota Vikings

Post by RyanChristiansen »

These are the Most “Viking" of the Minnesota Vikings at Each Position (i.e. the most games played at the position for the Vikings)

*Drafted by the Vikings

OFFENSE (Pro Set)
LT Grady Alderman (HOVG)
LG Randall McDaniel (HOF)*
OC Mick Tingelhoff (HOF)
RG David Dixon
RT Ron Yary (HOF)*
TE Jim Kleinsasser*
QB Fran Tarkenton (HOF)*
FB Bill Brown
HB Dave Osborn*
WR Cris Carter (HOF)
WR Leo Lewis

DEFENSE (4-3)
LDE Carl Eller (HOF)*
LDT Doug Sutherland
RDT John Randle (HOF)
RDE Jim Marshall (HOVG)
LLB Roy Winston*
MLB Scott Studwell*
RLB Fred McNeil*
LCB Antoine Winfield
SS Joey Browner (HOVG)*
FS Paul Krause (HOF)
RCB Carl Lee*
PK Fred Cox, P Greg Coleman, LS Cullen Loeffler

What stands out is how the Vikings drafted linebackers and stuck with those linebackers. And the Vikings tend to stick with linebackers generally. (Maybe this is a truism for many teams?):

LLB Roy Winston (191), Matt Blair (160), Chad Greenway (156)
MLB Scott Studwell (201), Jeff Siemon (156), E.J. Henderson (125), ILB Eric Kendricks (100)
RLB Fred McNeil (167), Wally Hilgenberg (158), Ed McDaniel (125)
Last edited by RyanChristiansen on Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Bryan

Re: The Most "Viking" of the Minnesota Vikings

Post by Bryan »

I thought the most "viking" of the Vikings would be DT Gary Larsen, whom I believe was an actual viking.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Ed White played right guard for three seasons for Minnesota, his first 6 were at left guard.

He made the Pro Bowl at right guard all three of those years. Dixon has the longevity edge over White at that position with the Vikes, and was as solid and steady as they come...but I think White overall was the better RG, even if most of his Vikings career was at LG. I'd go with White.

edit - I forgot this was the "Most Viking"...but I stand by my choice as David Dixon was Maori, and New Zealand must be more than 10,000 miles away from Viking lands
lehotskys80

Post by lehotskys80 »

I'm not a Viking fan and may be missing the definition of "Most Viking" but Doug Sutherland over Alan Page (HOF)?
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Page is without much doubt the greatest player in franchise history. I think the parameters of this thread have also escaped me.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Randy Moss needs to be on this list. Arguably the greatest receiver in franchise history. He made more first-team all-pros than Cris Carter, was the AP ROY, set receiving TD records, and had over 1,000 yards receiving every year with the team except his final year when he played 13 games.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

It's head scratching that Page isn't mentioned and also is a travesty, because he even played 22 more games than Sutherland as a Viking if that was the parameter.

I don´t know if he was the most Viking, but when watching old highlights I believe that Carl Eller wouldn't fit in another uniform (even when he played his last season in Seattle).
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Dave Osborn over Chuck Foreman? "Most Viking" is kinda vague?? Just sayin'.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Geez, sorry. I thought I had the parameter on there. I added it = The most games played at the position for the Vikings
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

RyanChristiansen wrote:Geez, sorry. I thought I had the parameter on there. I added it = The most games played at the position for the Vikings
Dave Osborn rules!!