9-point win margin possible in overtime?

Todd Pence

9-point win margin possible in overtime?

Post by Todd Pence »

Just a scenario that popped into my head this morning while I was showering. Suppose team A and team B are tied at the end of regulation and go into overtime. Team A takes the overtime kickoff and drives into team B's territory, but are forced to settle for a field goal. Team B then gets their possession. While trying to answer the score, team B's quarterback throws a pick which is taken all the way for a touchdown by team A's cornerback. Now, would the final score register a nine-point victory for team A in overtime? Or would the pick six be treated as superfluous as the extra point is in overtime and not be registered in the final score?
superbowlfanatic

Re: 9-point win margin possible in overtime?

Post by superbowlfanatic »

As soon as the defense (Team A) takes possession, the game is over. So there is no Int Return from within the field of play for an OT TD as you stated.

If the Team B QB commits a turnover within his own end zone, either by fumble, or throws an interception, where the defense (Team A) gains possession, then because the Team A possession is simultaneous with the Team A score, then the game is over and the additional Team A score counts. So Team A could also score a safety in this scenario.

So you could have OT margins of 0, 2, 3, 6, 5, and 9 points.

I am trying to come up with a way for a 1 point OT margin, but I can't.
It would have to be Team A kicks a FG, followed by Team A somehow doing something that scores a safety for Team B. But I don't see how Team A can commit a safety while on defense. And as soon as Team A gains possession within the field of play (and not in the end zone) on defense, the game would be over. And if Team A gains possession in the end zone that would not be a safety.
UNLESS there is a Team B fumble near Team A's goalline, and then Team A provides the IMPETUS to send the football into Team A's endzone, then Team A recovers the football in its own endzone. Would that be a safety for Team B? I think so, so Team A would win by 1 point.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

What if team A receives the ball, begins its drive (the game was tied 17-17), but has to punt and the ball is snapped out of the end zone-- two points to team B, which is now ahead 19-17. But both teams haven't yet had possession, as required by the overtime rule. Team A now gets the free kick, but since it's still a live ball, Team A recovers. Again, Team B hasn't yet had possession of the ball, despite having a 19-17 lead. Team A then kicks a field goal and makes it 20-19. Team B receives the ensuing kickoff, takes possession for the first time during overtime, and fails to score. Both teams have now had at least one possession, Team A is ahead 20-19 and the game is over.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Mark L. Ford wrote:What if team A receives the ball, begins its drive (the game was tied 17-17), but has to punt and the ball is snapped out of the end zone-- two points to team B, which is now ahead 19-17. But both teams haven't yet had possession, as required by the overtime rule. Team A now gets the free kick, but since it's still a live ball, Team A recovers. Again, Team B hasn't yet had possession of the ball, despite having a 19-17 lead. Team A then kicks a field goal and makes it 20-19. Team B receives the ensuing kickoff, takes possession for the first time during overtime, and fails to score. Both teams have now had at least one possession, Team A is ahead 20-19 and the game is over.
I think the game ends whenever a safety occurs, regardless of the circumstances.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I think the game ends whenever a safety occurs, regardless of the circumstances.
Yup.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

superbowlfanatic wrote:As soon as the defense (Team A) takes possession, the game is over. So there is no Int Return from within the field of play for an OT TD as you stated.

If the Team B QB commits a turnover within his own end zone, either by fumble, or throws an interception, where the defense (Team A) gains possession, then because the Team A possession is simultaneous with the Team A score, then the game is over and the additional Team A score counts. So Team A could also score a safety in this scenario.

So you could have OT margins of 0, 2, 3, 6, 5, and 9 points.

I am trying to come up with a way for a 1 point OT margin, but I can't.
It would have to be Team A kicks a FG, followed by Team A somehow doing something that scores a safety for Team B. But I don't see how Team A can commit a safety while on defense. And as soon as Team A gains possession within the field of play (and not in the end zone) on defense, the game would be over. And if Team A gains possession in the end zone that would not be a safety.
UNLESS there is a Team B fumble near Team A's goalline, and then Team A provides the IMPETUS to send the football into Team A's endzone, then Team A recovers the football in its own endzone. Would that be a safety for Team B? I think so, so Team A would win by 1 point.
I didn't think that the game ended as soon as the interception was made, because technically, the DB could fumble, ala Marlon McCree, and the offense could return the fumble for a TD.
Would the officials blow the play dead as soon as the interception was recorded?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Would the officials blow the play dead as soon as the interception was recorded?
I think so. Because the rule states that both teams shall have the opportunity to possess the ball in overtime. (unless a TD or safety is scored first) The instant the defensive player gains possession of the ball, the game ends. So I believe that 9 point win scenario isn't possible.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

A variation of the OP...

Team A scores via a FG

Team B botches the handling of the ensuing kick-off and winds up with possession on its own 1-yard line.
Team B fumbles the snap and Team A recovers IN THE END ZONE thus ending the possession and the game.

How can that not be 6 points?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Good point. Also I'm re-thinking what I said earlier. On team B's possession if they turn the ball over the game would technically end when the play itself that changed possession ended. A game (or quarter or half) can't end mid-play. So I think they would let the play "play out" much like as if the clock reached 0:00, and if that play resulted in a TD then yes, you could have a 9 point victory. Also there's the possibility of the defensive team fumbling on that play and the original offensive team getting the ball back and being able to continue their drive.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I didn't think they would blow the whistle in midplay. One of the only times I saw that was in the final 2 minutes of the Green Bay-Buffalo game. Rodgers was stripped of the ball, Eddie Lacy picked it up in the end zone and began a mad dash to get the ball out, but the refs blew the play dead. I was so excited, I didn't realize why...the Holy Roller rule.