2014 predicitons

Reaser

Re: 2014 predicitons

Post by Reaser »

King Kong wrote:Not sure it should be 4 for picking SB winner but not getting anything for picking SB loser. In the end, it is the same deal to me, but maybe I am nuts.
It doesn't really matter but you have to take into account the points for the conference winners (4 each) so really you would get 8 points for SB winner and 4 for SB loser. Since if you're already getting 4 pts for picking the conference champion it wouldn't make sense to give them bonus points for losing the SB.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:
King Kong wrote:Not sure it should be 4 for picking SB winner but not getting anything for picking SB loser. In the end, it is the same deal to me, but maybe I am nuts.
It doesn't really matter but you have to take into account the points for the conference winners (4 each) so really you would get 8 points for SB winner and 4 for SB loser. Since if you're already getting 4 pts for picking the conference champion it wouldn't make sense to give them bonus points for losing the SB.

At the end of the day, the prediction is essentially still the same. I guess it might be more "prestigious" to say "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner back in August" as opposed to "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl loser back in August". To me, I have them as being equally correct predictions and are worth "bragging" about if that sort of thing floats your boat.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

King Kong wrote:At the end of the day, the prediction is essentially still the same. I guess it might be more "prestigious" to say "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner back in August" as opposed to "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl loser back in August". To me, I have them as being equally correct predictions and are worth "bragging" about if that sort of thing floats your boat.
Makes sense, I was just going off the proposed 'scoring' you posted where picking the SB winner gets more 'points' - since of course the normal goal is to pick the winner - but since you predicted NE to lose, a half year later you now consider that essentially the same as picking the winner. Adds up, mathematically it's the same odds. If you went into it with goal #1 being "I want to get the SB loser correct", then that's amazing. If NE does end up losing that's a great call. If they win, still were correct on having them in the SB which is good, also.

Not a big deal, just for fun anyways and not like it's overly difficult to predict SB teams or come close to predicting them. e.g. If I can potentially have picked the SB winner 3 straight years, anyone can.

The interesting part of this is being able to look back at the end of the year and see what people were thinking was going to happen. Plus it's fun to point out the successes for those that made some good calls, like byron being the only person to pick the Cowboys to win the NFC East, for example.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

King Kong wrote:I am in favor of just a regular pick 'em pool next year.
We did that one year, James won. He got a year free membership if I remember correctly.

It was fun, but wasn't a lot of participation, which I believe was the reasoning for it not happening again. Plus of course pre-season playoff/Super Bowl picks has been more the forum 'thing' that we do.

Personally I find it more difficult to predict things before the season that will happen at the end of the season, rather than a week to week thing where it's easy after the season gets going to pick weekly winners, since as the season gets going you know who's good and who isn't.

Either way, it would be fun if there was some sort of competition but I don't think there really needs to be a contest, pool or prizes. It's fun enough posting preseason playoff/SB picks each year and discussing them at the end of the season.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:
King Kong wrote:At the end of the day, the prediction is essentially still the same. I guess it might be more "prestigious" to say "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner back in August" as opposed to "I correctly predicted the Super Bowl loser back in August". To me, I have them as being equally correct predictions and are worth "bragging" about if that sort of thing floats your boat.
Makes sense, I was just going off the proposed 'scoring' you posted where picking the SB winner gets more 'points' - since of course the normal goal is to pick the winner - but since you predicted NE to lose, a half year later you now consider that essentially the same as picking the winner. Adds up, mathematically it's the same odds. If you went into it with goal #1 being "I want to get the SB loser correct", then that's amazing. If NE does end up losing that's a great call. If they win, still were correct on having them in the SB which is good, also.

Not a big deal, just for fun anyways and not like it's overly difficult to predict SB teams or come close to predicting them. e.g. If I can potentially have picked the SB winner 3 straight years, anyone can.

The interesting part of this is being able to look back at the end of the year and see what people were thinking was going to happen. Plus it's fun to point out the successes for those that made some good calls, like byron being the only person to pick the Cowboys to win the NFC East, for example.
What gets proposed and what makes sense isn't always the same. I think it would make sense for the people to gets for picking a team to advance to a certain round and more points for being right about what the team did in the round. Like, if you pick the Bengals to make the playoffs and they do, you get a point. If you pick them to lose in the Wild Card round and they do, you get another point. Then you go from there.

I like weekly picks more than making preseason picks but I would participate in either style of action, no problem.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

If this organization can be true to the Lombardi legacy, then no one should be rewarded or praised for losing.
For playing the game, yes - as Mr. Rice so wonderfully penned it - but never for losing.
In fact, the sainted Brooklynite once said: "The only thing that matters is First Place. Everything else is hinky-dinky."
Do we want to praise hinky-dinky? Nah!

Why not a "wall" - a pinned thread, if you will - with all predictions listed.
As the season came to a close and "contestants" are eliminated, "scratch them off then" as the widow Phelps stated.
The last man standing would be the winner.
And, yes, it would be nice if he actually won something.
Maybe just his smiling face in the opening rotogravure to be viewed by all until the next "winner" is proclaimed.
If someone, as the Washingtonian is threatening to do, wins three in a row, then his image could remain -
at least until the next web site crash.

Whoops! Wait a minute! A pinned thread is not possible.
The only one who knows how to do that is Ken but he has been "restricted."
Why is this not a surprise?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:then no one should be rewarded or praised for losing.
Exactly. Brings to mind the NCAA basketball tournament brackets, you try to pick the champion, if you don't then you get 0 points for the championship game, even if you have the loser of the championship game 'correct' because for the loser you already would have got points for picking them to win in the final four, having them losing the championship is less of a 'pick' and more of a default since you were picking them to win in the final 4 as opposed to picking them to lose in the championship.

Such as being wrong about the SB winner but having the SB loser 'correct', in which case you're already getting credit for picking a team to win it's conference which is the correct selection, but also wanting credit for them (potentially) losing is asking for double credit for one pick. Not a standard line of thinking and until now - that it fits with what someone picked - I have never heard of anyone's default SB loser as being considered equal to picking the SB winner. Though I'm inclined to take people at their word, so if someone's main goal was to not pick the SB winner but instead to pick the loser of the SB - as opposed to picking a team to win it's conference and since they weren't picking them to win the SB listing them as their default SB loser - then that's outstanding!
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:then no one should be rewarded or praised for losing.
Exactly. Brings to mind the NCAA basketball tournament brackets, you try to pick the champion, if you don't then you get 0 points for the championship game, even if you have the loser of the championship game 'correct' because for the loser you already would have got points for picking them to win in the final four, having them losing the championship is less of a 'pick' and more of a default since you were picking them to win in the final 4 as opposed to picking them to lose in the championship.

Such as being wrong about the SB winner but having the SB loser 'correct', in which case you're already getting credit for picking a team to win it's conference which is the correct selection, but also wanting credit for them (potentially) losing is asking for double credit for one pick. Not a standard line of thinking and until now - that it fits with what someone picked - I have never heard of anyone's default SB loser as being considered equal to picking the SB winner. Though I'm inclined to take people at their word, so if someone's main goal was to not pick the SB winner but instead to pick the loser of the SB - as opposed to picking a team to win it's conference and since they weren't picking them to win the SB listing them as their default SB loser - then that's outstanding!
I suppose next year we can have people NOT pick a Super Bowl result to avoid this problem.

Picking one team to lose is the same as picking another team to win.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Dude, you got a f'in problem with it then stop patting yourself on the back for picking Denver to lose last year.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

The first person who made predictions only chose conference champions. He did not choose a Super Bowl winner and loser. Other people made very specific picks. I am sure people who picked the Patriots to lose had a very specific reason in mind.

I personally would call a pick a good pick if you picked a certain team to lose.

If I had made MLB predictions in March that the Dodgers would beat the Royals in the 2014 World Series, I would be proud of getting the Royals part correct. I would feel exactly the same had I predicted the Giants to beat the Blue Jays.

Apparently I am a buffoon to ridicule on this board. I await responses and will self ban if necessary.