Let the Whines Begin...

oldecapecod11

Re: Let the Whines Begin...

Post by oldecapecod11 »

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

I'm there now but having some connectivity problems so maybe you, John, or someone else wants to try?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Supposedly, you can download the 2013 Rule Book but I am having some trouble.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

I have just saved the 2013 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League

If anyone wants a copy, PM me up top and let me have your e-mail and I will send it.
It is in PDF but I can convert if for you to WordPerfect, Word, or simply Notepad. Just mention that.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:Was that the Rule in force at the time of the Ice Bowl?
Chuck Mercein was specific in at least two interviews that his reason was NOT to denote Touchdown but to let all see he did not aid the runner (Starr.)
(A quick-thinking Yalie, I always thought?)
No, as I said above, the rule was changed within the last 15 years. In the 1999 rulebook, pushing the runner is listed as illegal along with pulling. I have discovered that pushing was no longer listed as a violation in the 2009 rulebook, but I haven't found any rulebooks between those two. The change was obviously made in the 2000-2008 period and I would guess closer to 2000 than to 2008, but I can't be sure.
Ok - I learned something new, never knew that changed. Don't recall it being announced. Anybody know why it changed. Most rule changes these days seem either safety issues or to speed up the game, or to support higher scoring. This really just seems random. I mean I suppose one extra touchdown every month or so could be scored by a lineman pushing a player, but nothing substantial.

I'll also co on record as thinking Dez didn't catch it live, rather regardless of the rule I thought the ball was moving around as he was shifting it in his hands as he was going down. But I guess I'm a 1%er according to a prior post. Just not the kind of 1%er id like to be!!!
Byron

Post by Byron »

rhickok1109 wrote:
The formation always tells the story. If a player is not at one end of the line and is not a yard behind the line of the scrimmage, he's not eligible.
While I agree with this in principle, I seem to recall the TE that was in the "LT" position on the unbalanced line not being a full yard off the ball. I have not found a picture though so my recollection may be off.

EDIT: Found a picture. It looks like everybody was about a yard off the ball.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/ ... _yo.html#0
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

What matters is that the two receivers to his left were off the line. He wasn't 'covered up', so he was eligible.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Reaser wrote:What matters is that the two receivers to his left were off the line. He wasn't 'covered up', so he was eligible.
Okay, that makes sense.