PFHOF Finalists

rhickok1109

Re: PFHOF Finalists

Post by rhickok1109 »

I couldn't vote for five guys from this list. Maybe Greene, Pace, and Seau, although I'm not sure about Greene. I think Tingelhoff is long overdue. No vote for Polian or Wolf.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

rhickok1109 wrote:I couldn't vote for five guys from this list. Maybe Greene, Pace, and Seau, although I'm not sure about Greene. I think Tingelhoff is long overdue. No vote for Polian or Wolf.
Hate to bring up Dr. Z in a HOF discussion, but years ago he complained that it was stupid to have coaches and contributors on the same ballot as the players, because the areas weren't really comparable. I think the HOF has kind of given us the worst of both worlds...create a perfunctory "contributors" category, but have that category be voted with alongside the players. I think this year's list is so weak because there are too many "non-players" involved in the Finalist mix, with the coaches and contributors possibly filling up one of the 8 maximum enshrinee spots at the expense of deserving players. Of the 18 overall finalists, you only have 12 position players (I am excluding Morten Andersen). I find that to be problematic. I also hate to reference the Baseball HOF, but perhaps the Contributors and Seniors enshrinement process could be seperate from the regular voting process and not count against the 8 maximum rule?

As for the finalists themselves, I am disappointed that Mike Kenn, Kevin Mawae, and Ty Law didn't make the list, but not completely surprised. Interesting that Terrell Davis made it at the same time Jerome Bettis did...Davis was better, but Bettis is the one who probably gets enshrined. I will be rooting hard for Don Coryell, and rooting slightly less hard for Tingelhoff and Tim Brown. I think Seau and Harrison should get in, but after that its anyone's guess. Pace, Greene, and Warner might be the next-strongest candidates.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

If you check who makes the cut to 10, you will find that usually that is who gets in the next year or the year after, of course depending on the numbers of "first ballot" types.

Running back Jerome Bettis, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, linebacker/defensive end Kevin Greene, defensive end Charles Haley and guard Will Shields had made the cut from 15 modern-era finalists to 10

So, look for a few of those to get in with Seau
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

2013 final 10

Williams, along with running back Jerome Bettis, linebacker/defensive end Charles Haley, wide receiver Andre Reed and defensive end Michael Strahan made the cut to the final 10 but not the final five.

Reed, Williams and Strahan made it in 2014, Bettis and Hayley returned to final 10 in 2014.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

2012 Final 10

Parcells, who coached four different teams to the playoffs and won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants, was eliminated in the cut from 10 to five modern-era finalists, along with Carter, Haley, Andre Reed and Aeneas Williams.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

2011 Final cuts

\ the 15 were pared down to 10. Eliminated were: Bettis, Brown, Carter, Doleman and Haley.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

2010 cut from 10 to 5

Cut in the reduction from 10 finalists to five: Dermontti Dawson, Richard Dent, Cortez Kennedy, Andre Reed and Sharpe.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

The two most notable players who didn't make it this year are tight end Shannon Sharpe and wide receiver Cris Carter. They each made it to the final 10. Grimm also was in final 10

I cannot find the other two in 2009 . . . one may have been John Randle another may have been Kuech . . . I was at the press conference but didn't take notes
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Finalists who did make the first-round cut but failed to make the Hall were wide receiver Cris Carter, linebacker Derrick Thomas, defensive end Richard Dent, guards Randall McDaniel and Bob Kuechenberg and multipurpose back Marshall Goldberg.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I"m also surprised Terrell Davis got through as a finalist, not to mention Coryell and Johnson.

Relatedly, it"s odd that so few of the first-timers reached finalist stage, only Warner, Pace, and Seau. Law, Mawae, Holt, Bruce, and James will all likely get in at some point, but it looks like it"ll take them all a long while at this rate.

I still think Bettis, Harrison, Haley, and Shields get elected, along with Seau, Tingelhoff, Wolf, and Polian.

Am also surprised Zach Thomas can"t even reach the semifinal stage after two eligible years. And with Davis breaking through, it"s not likely Roger Craig is a finalist again.