1982 Buccaneers sack totals

rhickok1109

Re: 1982 Buccaneers sack totals

Post by rhickok1109 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
TodMaher wrote:
NWebster wrote:
As far as I know that is not the rule. If more than two players are in on a sack, I think they just credit the two players who in the judgement of the statisticians/Elias/NFL are most responsible for the sack. Team sacks usually are credited on plays such as unforced fumbles by the passer.

2012 Guide for Statistician says this:
When one defensive player is primarily responsible for a sack, as defined by the foregoing principles, he
shall receive credit for a sack. When two or more defensive players are adjudged by the official scorer to
be equally responsible for a sack, credit for the sack shall be divided equally between or among the
responsible defensive players.

Again, no mention anywhere of this 3+ player rule.
Hmmm .... it says "two ore MORE" and "divided equally between or AMONG," which means to me that if the scorer feels that three players were equally responsible, each of them should 1/3 of the sack. Or, for that matter, If four are adjudged to be equally responsible, each of them should get 1/4.
Which hasn't happened in over 30 years. Statisticians guide aside, the practice is to call those team sacks, you'll note John and I independently arrived at the same place.
Yes, I did note that. I'm simply pointing that practice doesn't follow the guide.