Maybe I missed it, Pro Bowl snubs

NWebster

Re: Maybe I missed it, Pro Bowl snubs

Post by NWebster »

Reaser wrote:
NWebster wrote:On Pouncey, I agree that he has a series of undeserving trips to Hawaii, but this was actually a pretty good season for him and I don't think he was a reach this year - though I wouldn't pound my fist on the table for him.
and 1st-team AP All-Pro now, too. shocking ...

Never seen such a manufactured probable Hall of Famer. As if someone just predetermined before his rookie year that he was an automatic selection every year ... If he plays another five years - without injury - it's practically a lock that five years from now he'll be a 9-time Pro Bowler and have nine seasons of All-Pro honors. For a player who it could be argued has never been even top-5 at his position in his career (at best he's had maybe one "top 5" season) ... Outstanding.

edit to add: Always conscience of going too far in the other direction to make a point, so hopefully it doesn't read as if I'm saying he's a terrible player. I'm merely meaning to point out that he's not the Jim Brown equivalent at his position.

I think Patrick Peterson will fall in this category as well in a few years as well, some guys cannot seem to play badly enough not to make All Pro.
Reaser

Re: Maybe I missed it, Pro Bowl snubs

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:I think Patrick Peterson will fall in this category as well in a few years as well, some guys cannot seem to play badly enough not to make All Pro.
Almost identical, at least with the Pro Bowl. Slight difference being that Peterson did things to earn a reputation and now he can seemingly coast on that - like you've pointed out before with Champ. While Pouncey was GIVEN a reputation for whatever reason before he even played in his first NFL game and from then on as long as he steps on the field he's a lock. Seems like it stems from "the next great Steelers center" narrative, and even if he's not they're still going to say he is because it was predetermined (and hey, he could become the best center in the league, who knows. He just isn't and hasn't been to this point) ...

It's not Jeff Saturday's last Pro Bowl selection bad, but if I had to choose between gift honors at the end of ones career or gift honors essentially before a players career even starts, I'de always pick the former. Even if it did bug me when Walter Jones got his gifts, weren't needed, his career stood on it's own, he didn't need to be handed anything.