Marc Trestman Trainwreck...also Cutler..Historic Perspective

Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Marc Trestman Trainwreck...also Cutler..Historic Perspec

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Speaking of Jeff George, Dickerson got benched in 1991, probably not the highest paid guy in the game, but up there. It meant George had to air it out that game, and it was the Colts only win of the season.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Can't help thinking Trestman deserves another chance without Cutler. Last year they were one of the highest scoring offenses with a journeyman quarterback. McCown said last year he was never more prepared for a game since Trestman was his coach.

The comparison was made by others already, but Cutler is Jeff George. Mike Martz even recently declined to comment on him in a piece by SI.com.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Veeshik_ya wrote:Can't help thinking Trestman deserves another chance without Cutler. Last year they were one of the highest scoring offenses with a journeyman quarterback. McCown said last year he was never more prepared for a game since Trestman was his coach.

The comparison was made by others already, but Cutler is Jeff George. Mike Martz even recently declined to comment on him in a piece by SI.com.
Yeah, I haven't checked the numbers - maybe someone on here has them - but it seems quite rare for a GM to get canned but to have a coach stay in place, whereas the opposite is quite common. To me this is really a case of a team that just has a dearth of talent, and certainly not the depth to manage through, for example, the loss of Charles Tilleman . . . that's on Phil Emery, not Trestman. I'll reiterate, it's actually almost impressive that this team didn't quit on him, which I think shows a coach that the players like and respect.

I'm definitely in the keep Trestman - fire Emery camp on this.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

NWebster wrote:
Veeshik_ya wrote:Can't help thinking Trestman deserves another chance without Cutler. Last year they were one of the highest scoring offenses with a journeyman quarterback. McCown said last year he was never more prepared for a game since Trestman was his coach.

Yeah, I haven't checked the numbers - maybe someone on here has them - but it seems quite rare for a GM to get canned but to have a coach stay in place, whereas the opposite is quite common. To me this is really a case of a team that just has a dearth of talent, and certainly not the depth to manage through, for example, the loss of Charles Tilleman . . . that's on Phil Emery, not Trestman. I'll reiterate, it's actually almost impressive that this team didn't quit on him, which I think shows a coach that the players like and respect.

I'm definitely in the keep Trestman - fire Emery camp on this.
I say this with all due respect: Did you watch the Bears this year? Trestman was getting trashed by the players. This team completely rolled over and quit on him.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I think I recall that Ray Rhodes only lasted a year as head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I wish that Dan Devine would have been fired after the 1973 season.
Denis Crawford

Post by Denis Crawford »

In 1972 Bill Peterson took over the Houston Oilers following a solid tenure at Florida State and a very brief stop at Rice. Just nineteen games later Peterson was fired after going 1-18 and never had a head coaching job again. That's a train wreck worthy of an NTSB investigation.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Hail Casares wrote: I say this with all due respect: Did you watch the Bears this year? Trestman was getting trashed by the players. This team completely rolled over and quit on him.
You're right, they did. Which makes last year all the more mystifying. There was a point last year the Bears' offense was a rolling, yardage eating juggernaut with McCown behind center. Defensive problems aside, everyone was on board and they were playing exciting, energetic football. The future looked good.

Then Cutler happened.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I think I recall that Ray Rhodes only lasted a year as head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I wish that Dan Devine would have been fired after the 1973 season.
That was a really strange hiring. Almost every fan in the Packers' Usenet group was totally baffled by it. Rhodes had been a terrific DC for the Packers, but he had just been fired by the Eagles, for good reason. A year later, the Packers also fired him for good reason.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

[/quote]
I say this with all due respect: Did you watch the Bears this year? Trestman was getting trashed by the players. This team completely rolled over and quit on him.[/quote]

3-4 full games, fewer than usual, but they clearly weren't relevent early.

But do you think it was Trestman who released McCown - not that he's the greatest - but Cutler without a security blanket this team was doomed, right???
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hail Casares wrote:Anything similar ever happen?
The Bears situation was kind of weird. They had a veteran group of players under Lovie Smith, and the organization thought the group had one last championship run in them...but Lovie Smith wasn't the guy to lead them. I thought it was odd that the Bears tried to keep the veteran group together instead of rebuilding, but at the same time bring in a new HC. The only similar reference I can make is the 1981-1982 Houston Oilers, who got rid of Bum Phillips after 1980 while keeping the same veteran players. New HC Ed Biles went 7-9 in 1981(down from 11-5 in 1980) then had a terrible 1982 season going 1-8, which took the Oilers years to recover from. The current Bears might suffer a similar fate, as many of their contracts are structured in such a top-heavy "win now" sort of way that no team is going to trade for Cutler, Jared Allen, or Brandon Marshall.

Was Bears salary cap 'guru' Cliff Stein included in the purging?