2014 predicitons

Rupert Patrick

Re: 2014 predicitons

Post by Rupert Patrick »

A few odd notes about the 2014 regular season:

The Panthers became the first team to repeat as NFC South Champions in division history. Their division crown also broke a logjam in that going into this season, during the previous twelve seasons off the NFC South, each of the four teams had each won three division titles.

The Broncos also kept intact their streak of not having back to back below .500 seasons since 1971-72, with the 42-year streak of not having consecutive losing seasons a pro football record.

Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger tied for the NFL lead in passing yards with 4952, the first time ever that two men tied for the lead lead in passing yards in one season. Big Ben became the first Steeler to lead the NFL in passing yards since Jim Finks in 1955.

Antonio Brown became the first Steeler ever to lead the NFL in pass receptions in a season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

The oddest thing of all might be all the talk about how Brees is finished. I tell ya, 4952 yards just ain't worth as much as it used to be....
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Jeremy Crowhurst » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:15 am
"...I tell ya, 4952 yards just ain't worth as much as it used to be...."

Maybe yards below sea level don't count as much as yards a mile high?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

With the Super Bowl coming up, here's who everyone had as their SB picks:

Reaser: Seahawks beat Broncos
Tod Maher: Seahawks beat Colts
byron: Seahawks beat Ravens
Jeremy Crowhurst: Patriots beat Packers
74_75_78_79_: Steelers v. Seahawks
97Den98: Broncos beat Seahawks
JWL: Packers beat Patriots
Rupert Patrick: 49ers beat Patriots
PowderedH2O: Saints beat Broncos
oldecapecod11: Eagles beat Broncos
eagles007: Eagles beat Chargers

8 of us had at least one SB team correct, no one had both SEA and NE. If the Seahawks win 3 people will have picked it, if the Patriots win only Jeremy will have called that.

As documented somewhere on these forums, this is the 4th straight year I've had at least one of the SB teams correct, and if the Seahawks win that'll be 3 years in a row picking the SB winner - both unofficial PFRA records, ha!
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

For this year's picks, obviously Jeremy wins if the Patriots do, but if the Seahawks win the title, I think Tod Maher is the PFRA winner, because he had them beating the Colts, who came within one game (though it was over at halftime) of reaching the Super Bowl themselves. (Jeremy has the same kicker if the Patriots win, since he picked the Packers for their opponents -- and given the way the NFC game turned out, he was REALLY close.)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:For this year's picks, obviously Jeremy wins if the Patriots do, but if the Seahawks win the title, I think Tod Maher is the PFRA winner, because he had them beating the Colts, who came within one game (though it was over at halftime) of reaching the Super Bowl themselves. (Jeremy has the same kicker if the Patriots win, since he picked the Packers for their opponents -- and given the way the NFC game turned out, he was REALLY close.)
For strictly Super Bowl pick, I agree. For overall season, since we picked playoff teams too, here's what Tod, Byron and I had (the 3 who picked Seattle):

AFC East New England (All 3 of us picked NE)
AFC North Baltimore (All 3)
AFC South Indianapolis (All 3)
AFC West Denver (All 3)
AFC Wild Cards Kansas City (All 3), Steelers (Reaser), San Diego (Tod, byron)

NFC East Dallas (byron), Philadelphia (Tod and Reaser)
NFC North Green Bay (All 3)
NFC South New Orleans (All 3)
NFC West Seattle (All 3)
NFC Wild Cards San Francisco (Tod, byron), Arizona (Tod), Philadelphia (byron), Bears (Reaser), Cowboys (Reaser)

AFC: I was the only one of us 3 to pick the Steelers to make the playoffs, though I had them as WC and not Division Champs.
NFC: Tod got the Cardinals as a WC correct though he didn't have the Cowboys and both Byron and I did, with Byron correct on them winning the division and me having them as a WC.

Total Playoff teams correct: Reaser (8), Tod (7), Byron (7).

SB pick is most important so definitely Jeremy if NE wins. If Seattle then Tod was closest to having the SB exact, and I'd have had the most playoff teams and SB winner correct.

Either way, some good predictions all around. I'm watching "A Football Life" so I don't want to add up everyone's at the moment, but at a glance during commercial here I think Rupert had the most playoff teams correct AND he has NE in the SB, though he had the 49ers winning it ...
Last edited by Reaser on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Bob Gill » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 pm
"...(Jeremy has the same kicker if the Patriots win, since he picked the Packers for their opponents -- and given the way the NFC game turned out, he was REALLY close.)"

Why does Jeremy need a kicker? His choice of the Patriots stands alone (unless I have the wrong glasses.)

The three Seahawks selectors can now predict the score and could be judged as follows:
Score
Tie-breakers:
1. Exact winners score
2. Margin of victory
3. Air pressure of ball used for 1st TD pass, if any
4. Air pressure of ball used for 1st FG, if any
5. Possibility of rain percentage at Kick-off
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:...
JWL proposed this scoring system (in this thread) which I think is good:

"How about a points system to determine who picked the best?

It was suggested one point for correctly picking a team to make the playoffs, four points for each conference winner and four points for the correct Super Bowl winner. Therefore, if you picked everything right, then you would have 24 points."
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

I must note (because it seems it was ignored by the mention that Tod's SB pick would be best because the Colts were a title game participant) that correctly predicting the Patriots to lose the Super Bowl should carry equal weight as correctly predicting the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl. So, if the Patriots lose, the pick by that JWL person looks good, even slightly better than the Tod Maher pick. The Packers fared better in the NFC title game than did the Colts in the AFC one.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:...
JWL proposed this scoring system (in this thread) which I think is good:

"How about a points system to determine who picked the best?

It was suggested one point for correctly picking a team to make the playoffs, four points for each conference winner and four points for the correct Super Bowl winner. Therefore, if you picked everything right, then you would have 24 points."
Not sure it should be 4 for picking SB winner but not getting anything for picking SB loser. In the end, it is the same deal to me, but maybe I am nuts.

I am in favor of just a regular pick 'em pool next year.