Eli Manning

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
racepug

Re: Eli Manning

Post by racepug »

I have Y.A. Tittle down as the Giants' best QB, ever, with Fran Tarkenton 2nd, and (arguably) Benny Friedman 3rd. Simms and Conerly are in the mix, too. Maybe Ed Danowski (but others probably know more about him than I do)?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

For me, YA Tittle and Eli Manning had alot more offensive talent surrounding them than Conerly and Simms, though Gifford was with both Conerly and Tittle. Conerly had tough but ordinary backs though Triplett could make plays and had Rote with great hands but no speed. Shofner made things go for Tittle like Toomer, Nicks, Cruz and later Beckham did for Manning. Manning had great SB runs but should have done more with his talent. Simms had tough running from Morris, Anderson, Meggett and later Hampton but only had a great talent in Bavaro, though Ingram and other smaller receivers made some plays ...
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

racepug wrote:I have Y.A. Tittle down as the Giants' best QB, ever, with Fran Tarkenton 2nd, and (arguably) Benny Friedman 3rd. Simms and Conerly are in the mix, too. Maybe Ed Danowski (but others probably know more about him than I do)?
When Y.A. Tittle came to the Giants in 1961, the New York media made him a sensation, with his long TD passes to Del Shofner and his style of play in general. In 1962-63, Y.A. was the biggest star in pro football, ahead of Brown and Unitas. In my opinion, those Giant teams of 1961-63 had a lot to do with pro football taking off in the early 60s, even though they lost the title games.