Marc Trestman Trainwreck...also Cutler..Historic Perspective

Hail Casares

Marc Trestman Trainwreck...also Cutler..Historic Perspective

Post by Hail Casares »

Assuming Trestman is fired(that's a pretty safe bet at this point based on all reports) has there ever been as short and disastrous coaching hire? Even a guy like Dave Shula got 5 years. Trestman took over a 10-6 team and in two seasons has them finishing either 5-11 or 6-10 and will be out of a job. The locker room is a mess, the organization is a laughing stock, and at this point even the injured kicker is on talk radio roasting him.

Anything similar ever happen?

Also, Jay Cutler is the highest paid player in the NFL and was recently benched for poor performance. Has this ever happened?
Last edited by Hail Casares on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhickok1109

Re: Marc Trestman Trainwreck...also Cutler..Historic Perspec

Post by rhickok1109 »

Hail Casares wrote:Assuming Trestman is fired(that's a pretty safe bet at this point based on all reports) has there ever been as short and disastrous coaching hire? Even a guy like Dave Shula got 5 years. Trestman took over a 10-6 and in two seasons has them finishing either 5-11 or 6-10 and will be out of a job. The locker room is a mess, the organization is a laughing stock, and at this point even the injured kicker is on talk radio roasting him.

Also, Jay Cutler is the highest paid player in the NFL and was recently benched for poor performance. Has this ever happened?
I can't answer that question but I will say that, as a Packer fan, I applauded Cutler's signing :)
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Hail Casares wrote:Assuming Trestman is fired(that's a pretty safe bet at this point based on all reports) has there ever been as short and disastrous coaching hire? Even a guy like Dave Shula got 5 years. Trestman took over a 10-6 and in two seasons has them finishing either 5-11 or 6-10 and will be out of a job. The locker room is a mess, the organization is a laughing stock, and at this point even the injured kicker is on talk radio roasting him.

I can't answer that question but I will say that, as a Packer fan, I applauded Cutler's signing :)
It's for this reason I give Tressman a little bit of a pass. He inherited a roster with a retiring Future HOF LB, another future HOF LB advancing in age, a future HOF DE who was getting old and essentially quit, and an aging and very underrated (should get HOF consideration, but probably won't) CB in Charles Tilleman. It's kinda like getting the 1981 Steelers - but no Lambert to contribute for another few years. I think the org went with an offensive coach right atthe time where the D was beginning to become the problem, that was really awful timing.

FWIW, it doesn't seem like the team has quit, which is more than I can say for the Saints, the Schiano Bucs, and many many more.

Not sure Tressman's the answer, but I'd probably lay more blame at the feet of the GM.
Evan

Post by Evan »

In case you ever feel badly that your predictions don't quite work out, remember Brian Billick predicted Jay Cutler would win the NFL MVP this year - http://beargoggleson.com/2014/09/07/bri ... r-nfl-mvp/

Although the Bears have deteriorated pretty quickly, I think just about every franchise has had an epic cliff-dive at one point or another. For Viking fans, the name Les Steckel still brings chills to our souls. Not that the Vikings were anything great before he took over, but those last few months of 1984 was a hellacious sledgehammer to Viking fan pride.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Hail Casares wrote:Assuming Trestman is fired(that's a pretty safe bet at this point based on all reports) has there ever been as short and disastrous coaching hire? Even a guy like Dave Shula got 5 years. Trestman took over a 10-6 team and in two seasons has them finishing either 5-11 or 6-10 and will be out of a job. The locker room is a mess, the organization is a laughing stock, and at this point even the injured kicker is on talk radio roasting him.

I think it happened with John Brodie in 1967. He was supposedly making $900,000 a year due to a contract he signed at the end of the AFL-NFL bidding war.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Evan wrote:remember Brian Billick predicted Jay Cutler would win the NFL MVP this year
So did Michael Irvin.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Hail Casares wrote:Assuming Trestman is fired(that's a pretty safe bet at this point based on all reports) has there ever been as short and disastrous coaching hire? Even a guy like Dave Shula got 5 years. Trestman took over a 10-6 team and in two seasons has them finishing either 5-11 or 6-10 and will be out of a job. The locker room is a mess, the organization is a laughing stock, and at this point even the injured kicker is on talk radio roasting him.

Les Steckel comes to mind. Bill Callahan.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bud Carson took over the Browns in 1989 and took them to the AFC Championship game. 10 months later, he was fired after losing 42-0 to the Bills.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Is there that much of a difference in coaching CFL and NFL teams? Trestman was very successful in Montreal with a QB, Anthony Calvillo, who was not only a great player but a revered leader. Jay Cutler is many things but he will never be accused of being a leader. I tend to agree that responsibility for the Bears' decline falls more at the feet of Phil Emery and his staff than at Trestman's.

Jay Cutler, from a distance, appears to be a "cancer" on the Bears. I have never seen him look at a picture on the sidelines. He sits on the bench, usually by himself, looking like he doesn't give a rat's a** about the team or the game. His hangdog demeanor makes me sick. He reminds me of Jeff George in physical ability and lack of leadership ability. Actually, that's probably an insult to Jeff George.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnH19 wrote:Is there that much of a difference in coaching CFL and NFL teams? Trestman was very successful in Montreal with a QB, Anthony Calvillo, who was not only a great player but a revered leader. Jay Cutler is many things but he will never be accused of being a leader. I tend to agree that responsibility for the Bears' decline falls more at the feet of Phil Emery and his staff than at Trestman's.

Jay Cutler, from a distance, appears to be a "cancer" on the Bears. I have never seen him look at a picture on the sidelines. He sits on the bench, usually by himself, looking like he doesn't give a rat's a** about the team or the game. His hangdog demeanor makes me sick. He reminds me of Jeff George in physical ability and lack of leadership ability. Actually, that's probably an insult to Jeff George.
The comparison is apt, I think. Great physical ability, but a lot lacking from the neck up. When everything is going well, he's pretty good, but any adversity--a dropped pass, a sack, a tipped ball leading to an interception--brings him down fast. You can see it in his face, his body language and, above all, in his performance.