Pass Catching Streaks

conace21

Re: Pass Catching Streaks

Post by conace21 »

Bob Gill wrote:Interesting. The question now is, why should Alworth's streak be considered any more legitimate than Hutson's?
Apparently, it shouldn't be. I had never heard of that. Pro Football Chronicle has game by game stats for 40 offensive players; they listed Alworth as DNP for that game. Pro Football Reference (not that it's always accurate) had Alworth playing 12 games in 1964, presumably missing r the Jets game and the previous week's match up against Buffalo.
I found an article in the Times the day of the game, saying San Diego would benefit from Alworth's return.

This forum never ceases to amaze me
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

TBH, I'm a bit surprised that a streak continues if a player misses a game. It makes me wonder .... did DiMaggio miss any games during his famous 56-game hitting streak? If he had missed a game, would the streak have continued or would it have ended?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

In baseball, streaks only include games you played in, so it's probably the same in football. In baseball, in fact, a player has to have an official at-bat for a game to be counted against a hitting streak. So let's say Miguel Cabrera has a 12-game hitting streak going. He walks in the first inning, and the second time up he gets hit by a pitch and leaves the game. Next time he plays, he still has a live 12-game hitting streak. This was an official ruling made more than 30 years ago, probably in the aftermath of Pete Rose's 44-game streak in about 1978, when broadcasters started to get infatuated with streaks, no matter how small. ("This is Muggsy's last chance to keep his four-game hitting streak alive.")
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

rhickok1109 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:57 pm
"...It makes me wonder .... did DiMaggio miss any games during his famous 56-game hitting streak? If he had missed a game, would the streak have continued or would it have ended?.."

According to the following, he did not.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats3.shtml

In the Gehrig streak, however, I have read of two occasions where he was ill or slightly injured and started for a half-inning
and was removed.
Supposedly, this also happened during the Ripken streak.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:In baseball, streaks only include games you played in, so it's probably the same in football.
Like Peyton Manning's consecutive games with a touchdown pass that ended this season, good for 3rd "all-time", started in 2010.

I was aware of how 'they' documented 'streaks', but like Ralph, I always have found it odd. Especially considering the different 'rules' for consecutive games played. How can you have one statistical streak based on "consecutive games" continue while missing games but the same player's actual consecutive game streak ended? One is consecutive games (played in) and the other is consecutive games. I think the latter is more impressive since just getting yourself onto the field is an important part of football, the former really needs a different phrasing than "consecutive games" since when said it lacks of the qualifier of "that this player actually played in and we don't care that he missed 16 (consecutive) games."
Last edited by Reaser on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

rhickok1109 wrote:TBH, I'm a bit surprised that a streak continues if a player misses a game. It makes me wonder .... did DiMaggio miss any games during his famous 56-game hitting streak? If he had missed a game, would the streak have continued or would it have ended?
I always wondered about that as well. Rice missed nearly all of the '97 season, which would have cut this particular streak off short of Monk's mark.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Ronfitch wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:TBH, I'm a bit surprised that a streak continues if a player misses a game. It makes me wonder .... did DiMaggio miss any games during his famous 56-game hitting streak? If he had missed a game, would the streak have continued or would it have ended?
I always wondered about that as well. Rice missed nearly all of the '97 season, which would have cut this particular streak off short of Monk's mark.
Johnny U missed a couple games in 1958, right in the middle of his 47 game streak.
MarbleEye

Post by MarbleEye »

BD Sullivan wrote:Alworth played in the 10/3/64 game against the Jets at Shea, but didn't have any receptions. Below is the writeup from the following day's San Diego Union:

"Lance Alworth was only of token use at the right flank. Alworth, his leg muscle still hindering him, played throughout the first half, but served for only a brief period in the last 30 minutes. He did not catch a pass."
So... with Hutson and Alworth both out, I guess Bobby Joe Conrad just isn't/wasn't getting the recognition he rightfully deserve/d/s.

Unless of course Conrad has a phantom game of his own where he appeared, didn't catch a pass and somehow those who count and track such things missed that one too.....
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....another receiver that had a loooooooong pass catching streak was jim "red" phillips of the rams.