Wilbur Young 1975 season

bullrush91

Wilbur Young 1975 season

Post by bullrush91 »

In 1975, Wilbur Young, one of the first 300 lbs men in pro football, had 10 sacks after 6 games then suffered a knee injury. He finished the year with 12.5 sacks, a feat he would repeat as a Charger in 1979. Barring this injury, did he have the potential to be an All-Pro when he was a Chief?
NWebster

Re: Wilbur Young 1975 season

Post by NWebster »

Hard to know - he clearly started hot, but it was his 5th year in the league and he'd never put up double figure sacks to that point. Was he coming into his own, or was it a couple big games? He had a 4 and a 3 sack game early in the season - I tend to think he had the two best games of his career in close proximity early in a given season, it happens.

Reminds me more of Antwan Odom, who - in his 6th season,posted 8 sacks in the first six games of 2009 (started the season 2, 5, 0, 1). Didn't return that season, returned for a few games the next year but wasn't ever the same.

He was very unique as a very athletic, amazingly mobile 300 Lb'er, in that era. But strangely, he just never seemed as strong as a Joe Klecko, Reggie White, JJ Watt. Watching D-Lineman for years, I've learned to disconnect the following, Big, Strong and Tough. Big Daddy Lipscomb was Big and Strong, but Marchetti was better because he was strong and tough. To this day, not sure we have seen many guys who are all three, maybe Deacon, maybe JJ, maybe Len Ford . . . but it's literally a handful. Guys with 2 of 3, there are many. Wilbur - to me - was a one of three guy.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

NWebster wrote:He was very unique as a very athletic, amazingly mobile 300 Lb'er, in that era. But strangely, he just never seemed as strong as a Joe Klecko, Reggie White, JJ Watt. Watching D-Lineman for years, I've learned to disconnect the following, Big, Strong and Tough. Big Daddy Lipscomb was Big and Strong, but Marchetti was better because he was strong and tough. To this day, not sure we have seen many guys who are all three, maybe Deacon, maybe JJ, maybe Len Ford . . . but it's literally a handful. Guys with 2 of 3, there are many. Wilbur - to me - was a one of three guy.
I think Big Daddy might be a good comparison to Wilbur Young, even though Big Daddy was a DT and Young was a DE. They were both physically imposing, but their style of play could almost be described as "nimble". I don't think either guy was really a mauler-type with explosive speed and power, but I only saw Wilbur Young in his San Diego Charger days which were in the latter half of his career. Perhaps Young was a different player in his Chief days.

What are your thoughts on Doug Atkins being a 3/3 guy? I think he and Len Ford were like "time warp" athletic freaks of their eras.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Bryan wrote:
NWebster wrote:He was very unique as a very athletic, amazingly mobile 300 Lb'er, in that era. But strangely, he just never seemed as strong as a Joe Klecko, Reggie White, JJ Watt. Watching D-Lineman for years, I've learned to disconnect the following, Big, Strong and Tough. Big Daddy Lipscomb was Big and Strong, but Marchetti was better because he was strong and tough. To this day, not sure we have seen many guys who are all three, maybe Deacon, maybe JJ, maybe Len Ford . . . but it's literally a handful. Guys with 2 of 3, there are many. Wilbur - to me - was a one of three guy.
I think Big Daddy might be a good comparison to Wilbur Young, even though Big Daddy was a DT and Young was a DE. They were both physically imposing, but their style of play could almost be described as "nimble". I don't think either guy was really a mauler-type with explosive speed and power, but I only saw Wilbur Young in his San Diego Charger days which were in the latter half of his career. Perhaps Young was a different player in his Chief days.

What are your thoughts on Doug Atkins being a 3/3 guy? I think he and Len Ford were like "time warp" athletic freaks of their eras.
Atkins had the ability to be a 3/3, but his biggest issue - particularly early - was motor and skill/nuance. The big, strong, tough does oversimplify slightly. Marchetti also developed great hands, largely as a function of playing OT as a youngster, Watt has amazing hands. Young Atkins (to draw a random line in the sand, pre'63) was not even close to a technician. The stories about him leaping over potential blockers are true, he did, and it was amazing, but not Textbook. Now by 1960, when he did it, it was as part of a calculated decision that "this guy is going to try tk cut me, I need to do this once or twice to make him think twice. In 1953, he was just copying Len Ford but without any of the requisite experience to support it. Young Atkins mostly depressed me because he billed into an NFL OT and had no plan to disengage, none of the moves (in 1953, 1954) that Ford had to dise gage.

But, long story longer, in general. Yes, he was Big, strong and tough.
bullrush91

Post by bullrush91 »

Great answers. thanks. When I think about "big, strong and tough DL" two names come to my mind, Reggie White and Keith Hamilton, who, Larry Allen says, was the toughest lineman he ever played. I am not familiar with their plays but Roger Brown, Buck Buchanan and Louie Kelcher may fit this description as well