Books on the Steelers Dynasty

Oszuscik

Books on the Steelers Dynasty

Post by Oszuscik »

Does anyone have any suggestions for good books on the Steelers dynasty from the 70's? I'm reading Bob Griese's book "Pefection" right now, and have "Badasses" about Madden's Raiders lined up for after, but would like to find something covering the 70's Steelers and the Chuck Noll/Terry Bradshaw relationship.

Thank you!
lastcat3

Re: Books on the Steelers Dynasty

Post by lastcat3 »

Oszuscik wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for good books on the Steelers dynasty from the 70's? I'm reading Bob Griese's book "Pefection" right now, and have "Badasses" about Madden's Raiders lined up for after, but would like to find something covering the 70's Steelers and the Chuck Noll/Terry Bradshaw relationship.

Thank you!
Rupert would have been a great source for this kind of question as he was a big Steelers fan and read a lot of nfl biographies. R.I.P Rupert.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I liked Roy Blount's "Three Bricks Shy of a Load" book about the 1973 Steelers, but it might not be for everyone.

Larry Fox wrote a book about the Steelers defensive line after 1974 that I found interesting.

I really enjoyed Michael Macambridge's bio on Chuck Noll.

Gary Pomerantz's retrospective called "Their Life's Work" was well-written, but I found it to be a bit depressing.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Bryan wrote:I liked Roy Blount's "Three Bricks Shy of a Load" book about the 1973 Steelers, but it might not be for everyone.

Larry Fox wrote a book about the Steelers defensive line after 1974 that I found interesting.

Gary Pomerantz's retrospective called "Their Life's Work" was well-written, but I found it to be a bit depressing.
Thanks for the suggestions, "Their Life's Work" looks pretty good, I may take you up on that! Just curious why you found it a bit depressing?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bryan wrote:I liked Roy Blount's "Three Bricks Shy of a Load" book about the 1973 Steelers, but it might not be for everyone.

Blount wrote a followup titled "About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up" that contains additional chapters about the Steelers' Super Bowl victories.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Oszuscik wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, "Their Life's Work" looks pretty good, I may take you up on that! Just curious why you found it a bit depressing?
Some of the book is a "where are they now", and many of those 1970's Steelers players aren't in good shape.

I loved this SI article (by Peter King, ironically) from way back when...

https://www.si.com/vault/1990/01/22/121 ... it-forever
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Andy Russell wrote a couple of good ones, An Odd Steelers Journey and A Steelers Odyssey.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

If you want something along the lines of "Just the facts, Ma'am." you can't go wrong with Total Steelers (from the Total Football series).
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

For Xs and Os, I really like the chapter in Jaworski's book on Bud Carson's Cover 2.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Bryan wrote:
Oszuscik wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, "Their Life's Work" looks pretty good, I may take you up on that! Just curious why you found it a bit depressing?
Some of the book is a "where are they now", and many of those 1970's Steelers players aren't in good shape.

I loved this SI article (by Peter King, ironically) from way back when...

https://www.si.com/vault/1990/01/22/121 ... it-forever
Read King's article. One of the people interviewed was Dan Radakovich. Then later I sit down, turn on tv, and see a crawler that he passed that same day.