NFL 100 All-Time Team

JWL

Re: NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by JWL »

My team is done. I maybe could be convinced to make some changes but I am not being graded on this.

Randy Gradishar is on my team. It will be interesting to see if he is even a finalist.

Some of the actions of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were detrimental to their teams but they were dominant players.

Bill Willis was a destructive middle guard. Hopefully he makes the official team.

I had to have a cornerback from the modern era in which the rules are very anti-cornerback. Darrelle Revis beat out Charles Woodson for that spot.

Dave Casper vs Kellen Winslow for my final tight end spot was tough. I ultimately took Casper due to his blocking prowess.

I agree with Reaser's RB thoughts. That said, I don't know how one keeps Barry Sanders out of the top 12.

QB- Sammy Baugh, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, John Elway, Otto Graham, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas

RB- Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Marion Motley, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, O.J. Simpson, Emmitt Smith, Jim Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Van Buren

WR- Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Don Hutson, Julio Jones, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Paul Warfield

TE- Dave Casper, Mike Ditka, Tony Gonzalez, Rob Gronkowski, John Mackey

T- Rosey Brown, Dan Dierdorf, Forrest Gregg, Walter Jones, Ron Mix, Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden

G- Larry Allen, Dan Fortmann, John Hannah, Larry Little, Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak, Jim Parker

C- Mel Hein, Jim Otto, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster

DE- Deacon Jones, Gino Marchetti, Lee Roy Selmon, Bruce Smith, MIchael Strahan, J.J. Watt, Reggie White

DT- Aaron Donald, Joe Greene, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Randy White, Bill Willis

MLB/ILB- Dick Butkus, Randy Gradishar, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Ray Lewis, Joe Schmidt

OLB- Bobby Bell, Derrick Brooks, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, Junior Seau, Lawrence Taylor

CB- Herb Adderley, Mel Blount, Jimmy Johnson, Dick Lane, Darrelle Revis, Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson

S- Jack Christiansen, Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Emlen Tunnell, Larry Wilson

K- Nick Lowery, Jan Stenerud

P- Ray Guy, Johnny Hekker

KR- Devin Hester, Cordarrelle Patterson

Head coaches- Bill Belichick, Paul Brown, Joe Gibbs, George Halas, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Bill Walsh
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:My team is done. I maybe could be convinced to make some changes but I am not being graded on this.
I'd say the odds are very good I'll end up liking this team more than the official one.

Easy to say when I haven't done it myself -and we'd all have different- but I can see a few changes I'd make here and there, naturally.

More importantly and by far my favorite part of this team is the safeties. Since people botch that list all the time and by all the time I mean essentially every time -- we did top-however many some years back and I swear only 3 of us had Ed Reed on the list (or in the Top-5, whatever it was) and I pretty sure I was the only one with Easley. Christiansen always is forgotten also, which so is Lary who I've argued was the better all-around player -- was only going off games I've seen which relatively a decent chunk of Lions games from that time, and was counting Lary's punting, though even at safety I liked Lary, which I'd stand behind what I saw. 5 of 6 I know I'd have on my list, no doubt. And seems certain in advance that I'd take this 6 over what the official 6 will end up being.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

The idea of Cordarrelle Patterson being on an all-time team of anything is just hilarious to me. Great team though, Gradishar is one I wish I was bold enough to put on mine. Also, I don't think you can call anyone who played before Don Hutson (re: Chamberlin) a wide receiver.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JameisLoseston wrote:The idea of Cordarrelle Patterson being on an all-time team of anything is just hilarious to me. Great team though, Gradishar is one I wish I was bold enough to put on mine. Also, I don't think you can call anyone who played before Don Hutson (re: Chamberlin) a wide receiver.
What is hilarious about it? He is among the all time leaders in kickoff return average and touchdowns and is playing in an era where it is difficult to do anything with kickoffs. Seemingly, two thirds of them are called back due to penalty.

I tried to choose one guy for punt returning and one for kickoff returning. Hester did both but he was better at punt returning so I have him. Sayers is who I list as the top kickoff returner but he already made my team as a running back. I like Rick Upchurch as the next best guy but he was better as a punt returner. The next guy I have is Patterson. I believe Patterson has surpassed kickoff returners such as Mel Gray, Michael Bates and Josh Cribbs.

I highly doubt Patterson will be selected because he is still active and is likely not yet looked at properly from a historical context by people, but it certainly will not be nuts if he is a finalist.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JameisLoseston wrote:Also, I don't think you can call anyone who played before Don Hutson (re: Chamberlin) a wide receiver.
It's my team, I can do what I want :) What would you call them - tight ends?

I have Joe Schmidt on my team too, I think that's a really good choice, but my prediction team above has them leaving him out.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JWL wrote:My team is done. I maybe could be convinced to make some changes but I am not being graded on this.

Randy Gradishar is on my team. It will be interesting to see if he is even a finalist.

Some of the actions of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were detrimental to their teams but they were dominant players.

Bill Willis was a destructive middle guard. Hopefully he makes the official team.

I had to have a cornerback from the modern era in which the rules are very anti-cornerback. Darrelle Revis beat out Charles Woodson for that spot.

Dave Casper vs Kellen Winslow for my final tight end spot was tough. I ultimately took Casper due to his blocking prowess.

I agree with Reaser's RB thoughts. That said, I don't know how one keeps Barry Sanders out of the top 12.

QB- Sammy Baugh, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, John Elway, Otto Graham, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas

RB- Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Marion Motley, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, O.J. Simpson, Emmitt Smith, Jim Taylor, LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Van Buren

WR- Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Don Hutson, Julio Jones, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Paul Warfield

TE- Dave Casper, Mike Ditka, Tony Gonzalez, Rob Gronkowski, John Mackey

T- Rosey Brown, Dan Dierdorf, Forrest Gregg, Walter Jones, Ron Mix, Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden

G- Larry Allen, Dan Fortmann, John Hannah, Larry Little, Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak, Jim Parker

C- Mel Hein, Jim Otto, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster

DE- Deacon Jones, Gino Marchetti, Lee Roy Selmon, Bruce Smith, MIchael Strahan, J.J. Watt, Reggie White

DT- Aaron Donald, Joe Greene, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Randy White, Bill Willis

MLB/ILB- Dick Butkus, Randy Gradishar, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Ray Lewis, Joe Schmidt

OLB- Bobby Bell, Derrick Brooks, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, Junior Seau, Lawrence Taylor

CB- Herb Adderley, Mel Blount, Jimmy Johnson, Dick Lane, Darrelle Revis, Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson

S- Jack Christiansen, Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Emlen Tunnell, Larry Wilson

K- Nick Lowery, Jan Stenerud

P- Ray Guy, Johnny Hekker

KR- Devin Hester, Cordarrelle Patterson

Head coaches- Bill Belichick, Paul Brown, Joe Gibbs, George Halas, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Bill Walsh
Solid list. Seems a shame though to include two punters and exclude someone like Ray Nitschke or Ozzie Newsome or Kellen Winslow ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

I love Johnny Hekker too, though. If I'm running a trick play with a punter, he's probably the one guy in NFL history I'd want. Is it just me, or have there been less Hekker trick plays lately? It seems like the Rams used to do it more often.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:
It's a great team, hardly anything (if anything) can be quibbled with.

In April I posted this http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... 0046297286

of course, there is some bias on my part I fully admit that but I also think this is the exact thing I had in mind when it was posted.
For whatever reason, and there may be good ones, Youngblood always gets left off Top 100 teams...
not that people who leave him off are "wrong" it's just that given the breadth and depth of credentials which
seem to be impressive
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JameisLoseston wrote:I love Johnny Hekker too, though. If I'm running a trick play with a punter, he's probably the one guy in NFL history I'd want. Is it just me, or have there been less Hekker trick plays lately? It seems like the Rams used to do it more often.
They seem to be on pace for their usual amount of fake punts. Their last one, he threw his first interception but I doubt that'll stop them from having 1-2 more fake punts this seasons.

I'm a fan of his, also. Before he was in the NFL, since I root for fellow members of the WA HS QB Club, he was a good high school QB at Bothell which was a school that had a million players named Hekker play there so assumed he would be good anyway.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:
JWL wrote:
It's a great team, hardly anything (if anything) can be quibbled with.

In April I posted this http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... 0046297286

of course, there is some bias on my part I fully admit that but I also think this is the exact thing I had in mind when it was posted.
For whatever reason, and there may be good ones, Youngblood always gets left off Top 100 teams...
not that people who leave him off are "wrong" it's just that given the breadth and depth of credentials which
seem to be impressive
I would guess the big reason for this, John, is that he took so long to get into the HOF. What are his stats besides sacks, compared to, say, Doleman's?