Best One-Year Wonder in NFL History?

Citizen

Re: Best One-Year Wonder in NFL History?

Post by Citizen »

I'm sure Joe could go into much more depth about what happened to the Packers after 1972, but the short answers include:

Teams figured out that if you stop their running game, you stop the Packers.

Scott Hunter floundered without the tutelage he received from Bart Starr in '72.

Attempts to upgrade the passing game were disastrous -- no other word for it.

Devine's wife was diagnosed with M.S. during the off-season, so he (understandably) didn't give his job a lot of attention. He would disappear from his office for hours on end some days.

Devine was a terribly divisive presence, and by 1974 he had lost most of the locker room. They came close to forfeiting the season finale, but a player boycott was defused the day before the game.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Citizen wrote:I'm sure Joe could go into much more depth about what happened to the Packers after 1972, but the short answers include:

Scott Hunter floundered without the tutelage he received from Bart Starr in '72.

Devine's wife was diagnosed with M.S. during the off-season, so he (understandably) didn't give his job a lot of attention. He would disappear from his office for hours on end some days.

Devine was a terribly divisive presence, and by 1974 he had lost most of the locker room. They came close to forfeiting the season finale, but a player boycott was defused the day before the game.
Dan Devine described himself (in a Sport Magazine article) as a "fussbudget."
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Citizen wrote:I'm sure Joe could go into much more depth about what happened to the Packers after 1972, but the short answers include:

What was the deal with Barry Smith, the WR the Packers drafted in the 1st Round after the '72 season? He put up great numbers in college, I can't really blame Devine for making that pick given the team's needs at the time. His reasons for failing are interesting though from what I've read. He seemed an intelligent, try-hard player, yet I've read he always shied away from contact and didn't go for balls over the middle. When he did get his hands on the ball he apparently always jumped while making the catch to try and protect himself - MacArthur Lane called him "Grasshopper". Is that an accurate description of Smith? Neither injuries nor attitude seemed to slow him down, so I've been trying to figure where he came up short.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Oszuscik wrote:

What was the deal with Barry Smith, the WR the Packers drafted in the 1st Round after the '72 season? He put up great numbers in college, I can't really blame Devine for making that pick given the team's needs at the time. His reasons for failing are interesting though from what I've read. He seemed an intelligent, try-hard player, yet I've read he always shied away from contact and didn't go for balls over the middle. When he did get his hands on the ball he apparently always jumped while making the catch to try and protect himself - MacArthur Lane called him "Grasshopper". Is that an accurate description of Smith? Neither injuries nor attitude seemed to slow him down, so I've been trying to figure where he came up short.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

sheajets wrote:
Oszuscik wrote:
Citizen wrote:What was the deal with Barry Smith, the WR the Packers drafted in the 1st Round after the '72 season? He put up great numbers in college, I can't really blame Devine for making that pick given the team's needs at the time. His reasons for failing are interesting though from what I've read. He seemed an intelligent, try-hard player, yet I've read he always shied away from contact and didn't go for balls over the middle. When he did get his hands on the ball he apparently always jumped while making the catch to try and protect himself - MacArthur Lane called him "Grasshopper". Is that an accurate description of Smith? Neither injuries nor attitude seemed to slow him down, so I've been trying to figure where he came up short.
So the legend is true! Grasshopper!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Devine's shaky job status in 74 resulted in him mortgaging the team's future to trade for aging John Hadl. Some of the players on that team have noted that Devine's story about someone shooting his dog was a lie, which plays into "losing the locker room" note.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

BD Sullivan wrote:Devine's shaky job status in 74 resulted in him mortgaging the team's future to trade for aging John Hadl. Some of the players on that team have noted that Devine's story about someone shooting his dog was a lie, which plays into "losing the locker room" note.
Wasn't that dog go after some livestock? Not unusual for a farmer to shoot in that situation

Also didn't the same thing happen to Tony Mandarich's dog? also ended up being shot in the early 90's
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

The dog was shot by a neighboring farmer who warned Devine many times not to let the pooch trespass. Devine, in an infamous Time magazine story, spun that into the dog getting shot by a disgruntled fan.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:1986 Chiefs: The best special teams unit in NFL History. Their only playoff team from 1972-89.
Lots of odd things about that Chiefs team. I like how the franchise hadn't made the postseason in 15 years, they finally get there, and the first thing they do after being eliminated is fire their head coach, John Mackovic, and replace him with Frank Gansz of all people!

Mackovic usually was able to get production from his passing game (Todd Blackledge had a career year in 1986 by Todd Blackledge standards), but I guess he could be difficult to work with. I remember when he was let go by the Chiefs, he went to Illinois and had success with Jeff George and Jason Verduzco. But he kind of wore out his welcome because he was also given AD responsibility, and as AD he approved something like a $1M renovation to his personal office, shipping in teak wood from Italy and so forth.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I look forward to Joe's book.

1972 Packers won on turnover margin and special teams. Scott Hunter's one ability after his rookie year is that he did not throw picks. Special teams, you had Marcol and some good returners. Packers were about +500 in return yards. Huge advantage, as winning teams are usually in the red because they kickoff more. Marcol had a lot of touchbacks.

The lineups were solid outside of Hunter and the receivers. Depth was here and there. Snider was a decent replacement for Gillingham. Garrett less so for McGeorge. Buchanon and Ellis were probably the best cornerbacks in the league, them or Parrish and Riley. Safeties dominated at the time.

As has been said, they were a legit 10-4 with a decent point differential against a tough schedule. That being said, getting that performance out of that collection of talent, odds are slim. Maybe even 100-1. The next year, schedule was far easier. But more turnovers by the QBs. Buchanon got hurt, replacement was Perry Smith, who hadn't even been active before that. He got torched.