Fewest Pass Attempts in a Game for Modern Era

Rupert Patrick

Re: Fewest Pass Attempts in a Game for Modern Era

Post by Rupert Patrick »

conace21 wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:I don't know about post-merger, but the last team to throw 0 passes in a game was Cleveland in a game on Dec. 3, 1950 against Philadelphia.

If memory serves, after the Browns beat the Eagles to open the 1950 season, Philadelphia's coach whined that all Cleveland did was throw the ball, that they weren't a "real" offense, and Paul Brown decided to stick it to him by not throwing a pass the next time. I think that's correct, seems like I remember that.

Anyway, Cleveland ran 41 times for just 68 yards, managed one first down and STILL won, 13-7, on an interception return and two field goals on a rainy day. (That same day, Tom Fears caught 18 balls for the Rams to set what was - and remained for 50 years - the record for catches in a game.)
Pro Football Chronicle has a great section about this game, as one of the myths in football history. Brown wasn't trying to stick it to Neale; the game was too important to Cleveland's title hopes. The weather was horrible, an early interception gave the Browns a touchdown, and they sat on the lead. They even punted several times on 3rd down. Once the tempo of the game had been established, Brown may have decided to make a point and not throw a single pass, but that definitely wasn't the game plan (seeing as how they did throw a pass, only to have it nullified by a penalty.)
I think this was the last time there were multiple third down punts in a game. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember the last punt on third down.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
conace21 wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:I don't know about post-merger, but the last team to throw 0 passes in a game was Cleveland in a game on Dec. 3, 1950 against Philadelphia.

If memory serves, after the Browns beat the Eagles to open the 1950 season, Philadelphia's coach whined that all Cleveland did was throw the ball, that they weren't a "real" offense, and Paul Brown decided to stick it to him by not throwing a pass the next time. I think that's correct, seems like I remember that.

Anyway, Cleveland ran 41 times for just 68 yards, managed one first down and STILL won, 13-7, on an interception return and two field goals on a rainy day. (That same day, Tom Fears caught 18 balls for the Rams to set what was - and remained for 50 years - the record for catches in a game.)
Pro Football Chronicle has a great section about this game, as one of the myths in football history. Brown wasn't trying to stick it to Neale; the game was too important to Cleveland's title hopes. The weather was horrible, an early interception gave the Browns a touchdown, and they sat on the lead. They even punted several times on 3rd down. Once the tempo of the game had been established, Brown may have decided to make a point and not throw a single pass, but that definitely wasn't the game plan (seeing as how they did throw a pass, only to have it nullified by a penalty.)
I think this was the last time there were multiple third down punts in a game. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember the last punt on third down.
Distinctly remember Dan Reeves doing that a few times (quick kick punts) on 3rd and long with the Giants and Dave Brown. And I believe they were on 3rd downs he wasn't just emergency punting because Mike Horan got hurt (they'd probably have Brad Daluiso do that anyway)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... owDa00.htm

Kicking & Punting
1994 24 NYG QB 17 15 15 2 57 33 0 28.5
1995 25 NYG QB 17 16 16 1 15 15 0 15.0
Career 73 60 3 72 33 0 24.0
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

JuggernautJ wrote:
My understanding is the Browns did throw a pass during this, their first NFL game.
While they did play the Eagles in their first NFL game, this wasn't it. It was in December. The Browns' first game in the NFL was that famous 35-10 rout in the matchup between the previous season's two league champions.

I did not know that ( a ) they attempted a pass that was negated and ( b ) that it was a myth. Good info.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Rupert Patrick wrote: As a matter of fact, I cannot remember the last punt on third down.
Apparently by Tom Brady in 2013, on 3rd and 32 from the New England 46 in the third quarter of a game against the Bills.
Evan

Post by Evan »

On a beautiful sunny day on Oct. 16, 1977, the Giants and Joe Pisarcik attempted just six passes in a 20-17 win over San Francisco at the Meadowlands. Pisarcik completed two of the six, including a 37-yard TD pass to Gary Shirk.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160nyg.htm
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Throwin_Samoan wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote: As a matter of fact, I cannot remember the last punt on third down.
Apparently by Tom Brady in 2013, on 3rd and 32 from the New England 46 in the third quarter of a game against the Bills.
I seem to recall Randall Cunningham doing it once or twice as well, or maybe I'm losing my mind ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:
I seem to recall Randall Cunningham doing it once or twice as well, or maybe I'm losing my mind ...
Cunningham once booted a 91-yard punt, and punted a total of 20 times in his career.

John Elway quick kicked occasionally too; a total of seven times in his career.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Evan

Post by Evan »

Oct. 4, 1981, the Oilers beat the eventual AFC Champion Bengals 17-10 in the Astrodome.

Ken Stabler completed 1 of 6 passes for 3 yards, and was sacked once for a loss of 7 yards, for a net of minus-four yards passing for the Oilers. (In contrast, Ken Anderson threw 52 passes for the Bengals.)

Earl Campbell carries 37 times for 182 yards and 1 TD. Oh, and if that wasn't enough, he also caught the only Oilers reception.

So Campbell carried or caught the ball on 38 of Houston's 50 plays (76 percent) from scrimmage. Is that a single-game record for the highest percentage of touches in a team's plays from scrimmage?