3 QBs caught passes yesterday Started by Hater
Started by Hater, Sep 22 2014 10:08 AM

Archive

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hater
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:08 AM
http://deadspin.com/...egal-1637562400

Any other memorable QB receptions? QB with most career receptions/yardage? Longest reception?

There have been a few guys who also saw time at WR - Kordell Stewart, Seneca Wallace, and Josh McCown come to mind. I'm referring specifically to QB's who start out under center (or in shotgun) and end up receiving a pass from another player on the same play. I know Spurrier drew up a few of those with the Redskins. I'm also sure it was a lot more common in the earlier decades of the NFL.

#2 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:21 AM
San Francisco 49ers: Outpost and Settlement

#3 BD Sullivan
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:59 AM
On October 30, 1960, the Rams' Frank Ryan connected on a pass to Jon Arnett, who then lateraled it back to Ryan, who ran 32 yards for the score. Thus, Ryan is credited with a touchdown pass--to himself:

http://www.pro-footb...96010300ram.htm

#4 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:13 PM
I think Mark Malone cornered the market on longest QB reception.

The footage of John Elway and Jim McMahon catching passes is replayed a lot.

McMahon caught five passes in his career, including two TDs, making the 1983 Bears perhaps the only team to have three players (Payton, Suhey, McMahon) to each run, catch and throw at least one TD in the same season.

#5 JWL
Pro Bowler
Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:50 PM
Brad Johnson and Tyler Thigpen had memorable pass reception touchdowns within the past 20 years.

#6 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:52 PM
Does anyone remember the Gary Danielson receiving touchdown in the Lions-Eagles tie of 1984? I have no recollection of that play but I must have seen it at the time.

#7 coach tj troup
PFRA Member
Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:49 PM
....different era, yet if time permits in everyone's busy schedule, check out bullet bill in '46 with pittsburgh, and '47 with detroit....of course ran for touchdowns, but caught td pass both years, and threw td passes both years. lion running backs in the 50's under parker also accomplished this.

#8 Todd Pence
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:11 PM
evan, on 22 Sept 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:
I think Mark Malone cornered the market on longest QB reception.

Malone actually lined up as a wide receiver, IIRC, on that play and the pass was thrown by Terry Bradshaw. The 90-yarder came in a November 1981 game at Seattle.

#9 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:24 PM
Todd Pence, on 22 Sept 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:
Malone actually lined up as a wide receiver, IIRC, on that play and the pass was thrown by Terry Bradshaw. The 90-yarder came in a November 1981 game at Seattle.

Good point, I agree that would disqualify Malone from the title of longest QB catch. Joe Flacco caught a 43-yarder in 2008, McMahon had a 42-yarder in 1984, and Jim Kelly had a 35-yard reception in 1987. I have no idea how those plays went, although none were TDs so did they get caught from behind somehow? Anyone know?

Other anecdotes to offer, Danny White caught two TD passes, and Bobby Hebert and Tommy Kramer each had one.

#10 Superbowlfanatic
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:23 PM
In Super Bowl 22, John Elway caught a 23 yard pass from Running Back Steve Sewell. That is the only "legit" QB pass reception in a Super Bowl.
Tarkenton had caught his own batted back pass, then completed another forward pass on the same play, negating the play by penalty.
Jim Kelly caught his own batted back pass in SB 26 for an 8 yard loss.

#11 Todd Pence
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:49 PM
Danny White and Jim McMahon appear to be th only two full-time QBs in the modern era who have caught more than one TD.

#12 BD Sullivan
Forum Visitors
Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:24 PM
JWL, on 22 Sept 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:
Does anyone remember the Gary Danielson receiving touchdown in the Lions-Eagles tie of 1984? I have no recollection of that play but I must have seen it at the time.
The Lions held a 10-3 lead early in the second quarter, having scored on their first two possessions. The Lions' James Jones (who was ordinarily the fullback, but was playing at tailback that game) took a handoff from the shotgun at the Eagle 22, ran right, then floated a pass to the all-alone Danielson in the end zone.

Detroit not only blew that lead, but kicked a FG with 1:03 to play in regulation, only to watch Philly go down the field and tie in the closing seconds. Then, in OT, Eddie Murray's chip-shot FG attempt from the Philly 21 hit the right goal post, and the two teams ended up with a tie.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister