Makeup class of 17

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Re: Makeup class of 17

Post by bachslunch »

Otis Taylor definitely has plenty of HoF supporters, no question. The descriptions I’ve seen of him remind me a good bit of the observations I’ve seen on Hines Ward — reportedly a big, hard-nosed WR who could block well and may have had his numbers depressed a little because the run was emphasized by the Chiefs at the time. Not sure how true all this is, but it may be.

I’m not entirely sure how to rank him in a way, but I’m not a big Hines Ward for the HoF supporter, either. I’m kind of lukewarm on him and the HoF, especially given the huge number of bad snubs at the position.
Last edited by bachslunch on Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

bachslunch wrote:Otis Taylor definitely has plenty of HoF supporters, no question. The descriptions I’ve seen of him remind me a good bit of the observations I’ve seen on Hines Ward — reportedly a big, hard-nosed WR who reportedly could block well and may have had his numbers depressed a little because the run was emphasized by the Chiefs at the time. Not sure how true all this is, but it may be.

I’m not entirely sure how to rank him in a way, but I’m not a big Hines Ward for the HoF supporter, either. I’m kind of lukewarm on him and the HoF, especially given the huge number of bad snubs at the position.

This steeler fan agrees with you bach's 100% which senior wrs are ranked higher than taylor
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

My personal list for Senior WRs: Billy Howton (#5), Harold Jackson (#8), Del Shofner (#15), Mac Speedie (#23), Cliff Branch (#25), Drew Pearson (#27), Billy Wilson (#33), Harold Carmichael (#34), Art Powell (#42), Lionel Taylor (#64).

Looks like I actually had Howton ahead of Jackson. My mistake in an earlier post.

Otis Taylor and Stanley Morgan would probably be about comparable and not far off my personal 75. YMMV.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bachslunch, I’m not surprised Speedie is where he is on your list because it seems about right to me. I see so many lists where he’s top 4 or 5 though overall among all senior candidates. He played 7 season, the first 4 in the AAFC, and had an all-time great QB throwing to him. Graham also didn’t seem to miss a beat regardless of who was playing halfback or end. Wouldn’t he be more of a HoVG player? Am I missing something?
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Bachslunch, I’m not surprised Speedie is where he is on your list because it seems about right to me. I see so many lists where he’s top 4 or 5 though overall among all senior candidates. He played 7 season, the first 4 in the AAFC, and had an all-time great QB throwing to him. Graham also didn’t seem to miss a beat regardless of who was playing halfback or end. Wouldn’t he be more of a HoVG player? Am I missing something?
Fair questions and observations. I think the short and AAFC-heavy career count a bit here. That and the fact that the folks above him are really good. The competition is truly awful on this. Top 4-5 overall seems a little too high, but Speedie is more than worthy.

I’m very reluctant to penalize Speedie for great teammates, though. Folks here say that football is more teammate-dependent than other major sports, and I think that’s an excellent point. I agree with it. As someone like Archie Manning shows, you can only do so much on your own in this sport — you need good teammates fulfilling their roles to succeed. If Speedie were really mediocre, he likely wouldn’t have kept his job long. And that’s especially true if you decide to figure postseason play into the mix at all.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
I have noticed also that Roman Gabriel, Harold Jackson and Stanley Morgan have not been mentioned, which I think is unfortunate.
Never thought of Gabriel as a HOFer...maybe I am in minority, but to me he's HOVG
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:Otis Taylor definitely has plenty of HoF supporters, no question. The descriptions I’ve seen of him remind me a good bit of the observations I’ve seen on Hines Ward — reportedly a big, hard-nosed WR who could block well and may have had his numbers depressed a little because the run was emphasized by the Chiefs at the time. Not sure how true all this is, but it may be.

I don't see that comparison. On film Taylor is more like a Terrell Owens, or other big guys who ran well, his size is noticable and athleticism. My thing with him is this: is his production worthy of surpassing others, or was he so good that he deserves to be the 800th Chief to get in... over other just as good?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote: The names coming up seem to be Slater and Baughan most strongly (fine by me),.
They are picking Baughan based on Pro Bowls. Film, at least to me, is good, but not as good as others like Howley. Merlin Olsen didn't think any of his LBers were very good in the George Allen era. Old, slow, on small side, but smart. Said the DL had to carry LBers... was envious of Green Bay or Dallas LBers.
JohnTurney

rumors

Post by JohnTurney »

Ron Wolf is trying to dominate the discussion of who the 10 "senior candidates" should be in mostly "his guys"

The HOF is having conference calls with HOFers to get input and it's nothing but homerism.

Floyd Little is pushing Bill Thompson

Emmitt Thomas is pushing Otis Taylor (saying Otis made him into a HOFer)

Jack Ham is pushing for Andy Russell

John Madden is pushing for Cliff Branch

Larry Little is pushing for Tom Jackson (at least he's not a teammate)

Philly writers are pushing for Maxie Baughan

New York guys pushing Klecko.

Collinsworth pushing HARD for Ken Riley (high rank PSI = 31st. Maybe not even red---never close to blue) Mike Brown Bengals leaning on Cincy writers to get Riley in (Lemar Parrish far more "blue")
Rupert Patrick

Re: rumors

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:Ron Wolf is trying to dominate the discussion of who the 10 "senior candidates" should be in mostly "his guys"

The HOF is having conference calls with HOFers to get input and it's nothing but homerism.

Floyd Little is pushing Bill Thompson

Emmitt Thomas is pushing Otis Taylor (saying Otis made him into a HOFer)

Jack Ham is pushing for Andy Russell

John Madden is pushing for Cliff Branch

Larry Little is pushing for Tom Jackson (at least he's not a teammate)

Philly writers are pushing for Maxie Baughan

New York guys pushing Klecko.

Collinsworth pushing HARD for Ken Riley (high rank PSI = 31st. Maybe not even red---never close to blue) Mike Brown Bengals leaning on Cincy writers to get Riley in (Lemar Parrish far more "blue")
Otis Taylor made Emmitt Thomas a HOFer?!? I don't see how an offensive player made a defensive player a Hall of Famer. It's like saying Roger Staubach made Randy White a Hall of Famer. Roger Staubach didn't make Randy White a Hall of Famer; Randy White made Randy White a Hall of Famer.

As a Steelers fan even I think Russell is a solid HOVG type. I think LC Greenwood would seem the logical choice if they are going to induct one last Steeler from the 70's. Andy was a good player but his career didn't really line up with the Steelers dynasty; if he had come along about five years later his career would have lined up perfectly and he would have been in his prime in the mid-70's and he would be in the HOF. With that being said, he played an important role on the 1972-76 Steelers teams as the veteran defensive leader.

I wouldn't have a problem with Cliff Branch in the Hall of Fame, but I think Drew Pearson would be a better choice as WR's from the 70's go.

Tom Jackson is a guy who I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned more for the HOF, based on the combination of playing career and his broadcasting career. But if you're going to elect a guy of this type, Pat Summerall would be a much better choice, I think.

With the NY writers pushing for Klecko, he is probably a certainty to get in.

Ken Riley is a good choice if they want to induct a Bengal, but I would choose Anderson over him.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen