Makeup class of 17

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Rupert Patrick

Re: Makeup class of 17

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:Just hope it doesn't turn into a cluster, that's all. one that picks 4-5 old timers and all the rest from the 70s-80s-90s.
I'm expecting that's what it's going to be, as I worry that many of the voters may not have a deep understanding of the old-timers and one of them will counter with something like "But Torry Holt caught more career passes than all of them combined."
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame/nfl ... WSU3HEbwg/

Yeah... we will see. Who is goingto chose or makeup the ballot is not yet decided so I don't think anyone can go hog wild

But at a minimum, I would want (pre-WWII)
Dilweg
Lewellen
Slater
Wistert
Emerson
Speedie

that is 6 of the 17 (now hearing maybe 20, but that was from someone who may not know for sure)

that leaves 11
I cannot think of too many coaches or contributors. Maybe Buddy Parker or Clark S

SO that leaves 9

So, nine guys, if they start going for the 1- and 2-time All-Pros over the 4- and 5-time All-Pros
because of agenda, recentism, partisanship/egocentric (stuff related to their city)
"Hey we have to have at least ONE New York Jet in this class" kind of thing
then it could be the cluster I fear.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Otis Taylor
Alex Karras
Tom Sestak
Ralph Hay
lavvie Dilweg
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

John, it’s encouraging to see in the article you cited above that Duke Slater gets a very prominent mention. Hope that translates into his getting one of the nods here.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

bachslunch wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:
bachslunch wrote:P.S. This is neither here nor there, but compiler or not, I think Marshall is a shoe in, seems like he has the support just judging by the number of times I see his name come up.
Not sure on that, actually. His name does come up a lot with Vikes fans and with casual fans. But he did have a chance in the room and went nowhere, plus I'm not sure the HoF voters are fooled on him.

I could be wrong, of course, but my guess is he's not getting in. He certainly doesn't belong, that's for certain.

boy this jim marshall not a hall of famer talk is getting old
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

I agree with a lot of the names mentioned (Dilweg, Wistert and Slater being my favorites). One name that I do not hear mentioned much is Lou Rymkus. Short career (but more games than Stanfel). Not a lot of honors, but was solid on film.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:John, it’s encouraging to see in the article you cited above that Duke Slater gets a very prominent mention. Hope that translates into his getting one of the nods here.

Slater is a lock.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JohnTurney wrote: Slater is a lock.
Really? Cool!
Who else is???
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:
JohnTurney wrote: Slater is a lock.
Really? Cool!
Who else is???
I don't know, the reason I say Slater is a lock is because he's so often mentioned by Horrigan and the senior committee voters. But I don't know for sure on other names, just speculation.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

rewing84 wrote:boy this jim marshall not a hall of famer talk is getting old
You think Marshall belongs in the HoF? If so, I’d like to see the argument in his favor. I’ve posted the case against him several times, but I guess I could find an example and post a link if need be.