Hypothetical Coaching Question

JoeZagorski

Re: Hypothetical Coaching Question

Post by JoeZagorski »

You guys had some really great responses. This has been a tougher question than I thought it would be. A lot of great coaches, and a lot of coaches to avoid. Here's my decision. I would love to have played for Hank Stram. First of all, I love exploring football strategy, and many people feel that Stram was one of the game's best strategists. Secondly, many of his former players on the Chiefs and the Saints would have done virtually anything for Stram. His loyalty among his former players is unquestionable. I would have loved to have played for Hank Stram, and I'm really glad that he made the Hall of Fame before he passed away. Now if only we can get Johnny Robinson in there (another unrelated topic for another time).

Joe Zagorski
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

You know, taking this idea to the extremes (meaning the collegiate ranks), I would have also loved to have played for Walter Camp, known to many as "The Father of American Football." Mostly just to see how the game evolved and progressed in its early years.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Joe Zagorski wrote:You know, taking this idea to the extremes (meaning the collegiate ranks), I would have also loved to have played for Walter Camp, known to many as "The Father of American Football." Mostly just to see how the game evolved and progressed in its early years.
The trouble is that Camp never went to practices because he had a full-time job running a clock factory. His wife went in his stead and took notes, so you might never have seen Camp unless you were the team captain :)
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bill Walsh.

As others said I need no "motivation" (I am always the most intense person on the gridiron) and would've LOVED learning the game from a "Genius".

Perhaps I am mistaken but Walsh strikes me as being very similar to myself and I would've loved to play for someone who could bring out the "Intellectual Assassin" (apologies to Ron Mix) in me.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

George Allen, Bud Grant and Bum Phillips, they got the good players to play great, and the average players to play good.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

George Allen, just because if I busted my butt for him I would always have a job with him no matter how old I got; he would find a way to milk every ounce of talent out of me in some way. And I also like the cake and ice cream after practice on Friday thing.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen