John Niland
Art Powell
Phil Simms
Bill Stanfill
Mike Stratton
Jeff Van Note
Everson Walls
Ed White

The official ballot and voting procedures will be in The Coffin Corner.

Thanks to all PFRA members who sent in nominations this cycle.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: HOVG Class of 2019 Nominees

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks for letting us know. I'm happy to see some new names on the list.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I’m confused. How does this list come together? My nominees aren’t on the list, but I sent the email to Andy as instructed. Is there some whittling down that happens in between?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

RyanChristiansen wrote:I’m confused. How does this list come together? My nominees aren’t on the list, but I sent the email to Andy as instructed. Is there some whittling down that happens in between?
No Roy Jefferson, Tom Matte or Rosey Taylor, either. FIX!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote: No Roy Jefferson, Tom Matte or Rosey Taylor, either. FIX!
Strange, those were all guys I nominated... how did you know?
(And while they didn't "make the cut" Abner Haynes and Ron McDole, my other two guys, did.)

My understanding is that from all the nominees received the HoVG Committee narrows the field down to the final twenty.
What I am unsure of is the criteria for making said cut. But I believe repetition (not wanting to have the same people on the final list over and over) is a deciding factor.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JuggernautJ wrote: My understanding is that from all the nominees received the HoVG Committee narrows the field down to the final twenty.
You are correct.

What I am unsure of is the criteria for making said cut. But I believe repetition (not wanting to have the same people on the final list over and over) is a deciding factor.
The committee votes from the list of nominees from the membership. The ones with the highest vote totals become the nominees that go out to the membership for a final vote. I cannot speak for the other voters, but I do not consider the number of times a person has appeared on the list when making my decisions.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I think I remember hearing once (possibly at the convention last summer?) that each member of the HOVG committee looks at the entire list of nominees, picks their 20 best and ranks them 1-20. With their #1 receiving 20 “points” and down to their 20th selection receiving one “point”. The 20 nominees with the most points then make the final ballot. Is this still accurate?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I think I remember hearing once (possibly at the convention last summer?) that each member of the HOVG committee looks at the entire list of nominees, picks their 20 best and ranks them 1-20. With their #1 receiving 20 “points” and down to their 20th selection receiving one “point”. The 20 nominees with the most points then make the final ballot. Is this still accurate?
That is correct.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

As a member of the HOVG committee, I have never considered how many times a person appears on the list. I look at the list and choose the players who are most deserving ON THAT PARTICULAR LIST. I believe that is how it SHOULD be.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."