NFL's Greatest Games of the 21st century....

7DnBrnc53

NFL's Greatest Games of the 21st century....

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

is on tonight (well, that's what they should call it now). The NE-Carolina SB episode will be on ESPN 2 at 9 p.m, and then they are having that stupid one about the Seattle-NO WC game from four years ago (why they are doing one about that I have no idea).

My predictions for next year: The Tebow playoff win and the game that the officials gave to Baltimore (Den-Bal 2012 AFC Div. Playoff).

What they should be doing: One of those along with something like the Broncos-Oilers 1991 Playoff game or SB XXV.
Reaser

Re: NFL's Greatest Games of the 21st century....

Post by Reaser »

I'll be watching the 30 for 30 on The Boz, on ESPN at the same time.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I would hope the 49ers comeback against the Giants in 2002 would make the list. (me being a 49ers fan since the Montana era) :)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 050sfo.htm

Interesting personal story about this game. Back then, my girlfriend (now wife) would always make a point of coming over if she could and watching the niners game with me whenever they would be on national TV. EVERY time we watched the game together, they won. EVERY time their game was on TV, but she didn’t come over, they lost.

Back to this game.... I was watching it by myself and they were getting creamed. Julie came over and the comeback started. :)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Reminds me of that Bud Light 49ers lucky sofa commercial.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
What they should be doing: One of those along with something like the Broncos-Oilers 1991 Playoff game or SB XXV.
I agree, but there seems to be a feeling that any event that happened in the year 19-anything is "the old days".
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Not sure if 2000 counts as 21st century, but if so, the Music City Miracle, the 1999 NFC Championship between the Bucs and Rams and Super Bowl XXXIV would be in the top 25 or so, along with the Jets and Miami Monday Night Miracle game and the 2000 week 16 Rams Bucs shootout.

If 2000 does not count, then the list of the best 25 or so would include (in chronological order):

2000 Tennessee-Baltimore playoff game
The Tuck Rule game
Super Bowl XXXVI between the Rams and Patriots
The 49ers Giants playoff game from 2002,
Super Bowl XXXVIII between New England and Carolina
The 2003 Bucs Colts MNF game with the 24 point comeback
The 2004 Bengals Browns 58-48 game
The 2005 Steelers Colts playoff game
The 2006 AFC Championship between the Colts and Patriots
The Week 17 New England Giants game from 2007
Super Bowl XLII between the Pats and Giants
Giants vs GB for 2007 NFC Championship
Super Bowl XLIII Pittsburgh vs. Arizona
2009 NFC Championship Saints vs. Vikings
2009 Green Bay Arizona 51-45 OT Wild card game
2009 Cleveland Detroit game with Detroit winning on final play of regulation
2010 New Orleans vs Seattle wild card game
2010 Giants vs Eagles with punt return TD in final play of regulation
2011 Green Bay Detroit Week 17 shootout
2011 New Orleans vs 49ers playoff game
Super Bowl XLVII Baltimore vs San Francisco
2012 Baltimore vs. Denver divisional playoff game
2013 KC vs. Indy 45-44 playoff game
2013 Minnesota Baltimore snow game with 6 lead changes in the fourth quarter
2013 Denver at New England Week 12 OT game.

And I left out at least another dozen games for which you could have made an argument to put them here.

If forced to choose one game, I would probably choose Super Bowl XLIII between the Steelers and Cards.

I don't think most casual football fans realize that the past 15 years or so will be remembered historically for an unusually high number of great Super Bowl games. Just as fans in the 80's and early 90's suffered thru a number of Super Bowl games that were over at halftime, the tide had turned starting with the Super Bowl XXXII.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I would hope the 49ers comeback against the Giants in 2002 would make the list. (me being a 49ers fan since the Montana era) :)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 050sfo.htm

Interesting personal story about this game. Back then, my girlfriend (now wife) would always make a point of coming over if she could and watching the niners game with me whenever they would be on national TV. EVERY time we watched the game together, they won. EVERY time their game was on TV, but she didn’t come over, they lost.

Back to this game.... I was watching it by myself and they were getting creamed. Julie came over and the comeback started. :)
They did do an episode on that one two years ago. What stood out was how 49er C Jeremy Newberry threatened to kill the kicker (Jeff Chandler) because he was hurt. Also, another memorable moment from that game was when Strahan pointed at the scoreboard when TO was strutting after a score.

Another note: This was the only home playoff game that the 49ers had in the 2000's. Let me put that in perspective: In the 80's, they had nine, in the 90's, they had 12, and they have already have had three this decade. They even had three in the 70's.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote: 2009 Cleveland Detroit game with Detroit winning on final play of regulation
A wild game with a dramatic finish, but the fact that both teams were horrible kind of kills its chances.
Byron

Post by Byron »

There have been no great games since 1970!!!

GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :D
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

There have been no great games since 1970!!!

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: