Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Evan

Re: Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Evan »

Great feedback everyone, really cool stuff. Jeff, it's remarkable you mentioned Tom Dempsey, as I just recently came across an anecdote from a news brief that on Nov. 9, 1975, Dempsey hit San Francisco's Ralph McGill in the head with his foot on a field goal attempt. McGill was taken, unconscious, to a hospital where he was treated for a concussion and possible neck injuries.

Has anyone heard of any other incident where a player was knocked unconscious by a field goal kicker's foot? How did this even happen, how did McGill get close enough to Dempsey to get a full-force whack in the head? Any footage of this that anyone has seen? Did the Rams ever block anyone on field goal attempts back in the 70s? (the last question is facetious -- mostly).
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Evan wrote:Great feedback everyone, really cool stuff. Jeff, it's remarkable you mentioned Tom Dempsey, as I just recently came across an anecdote from a news brief that on Nov. 9, 1975, Dempsey hit San Francisco's Ralph McGill in the head with his foot on a field goal attempt. McGill was taken, unconscious, to a hospital where he was treated for a concussion and possible neck injuries.

Has anyone heard of any other incident where a player was knocked unconscious by a field goal kicker's foot? How did this even happen, how did McGill get close enough to Dempsey to get a full-force whack in the head? Any footage of this that anyone has seen? Did the Rams ever block anyone on field goal attempts back in the 70s? (the last question is facetious -- mostly).
McGill got there in time to get hit with Dempsey's follow-through. To add insult to literal injury, McGill was flagged for running into the kicker, which gave the Rams a first down. Dempsey soon after hit a 23-yard FG.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Evan wrote:Great feedback everyone, really cool stuff. Jeff, it's remarkable you mentioned Tom Dempsey, as I just recently came across an anecdote from a news brief that on Nov. 9, 1975, Dempsey hit San Francisco's Ralph McGill in the head with his foot on a field goal attempt. McGill was taken, unconscious, to a hospital where he was treated for a concussion and possible neck injuries.

Dempsey certainly overcame adversity and had a pretty decent career. His kick stood as the record for so long, some thought it could never be surpassed. I love his retort when someone said he had an advantage with that unusual shoe he wore. "If having a deformed foot is an advantage, then I have an advantage."
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Dempsey certainly overcame adversity and had a pretty decent career. His kick stood as the record for so long, some thought it could never be surpassed. I love his retort when someone said he had an advantage with that unusual shoe he wore. "If having a deformed foot is an advantage, then I have an advantage."
One of those people being Tex Schramm, who said it the day after the 63-year FG--an ignorant comment for which he later apologized.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:

Dempsey certainly overcame adversity and had a pretty decent career. His kick stood as the record for so long, some thought it could never be surpassed. I love his retort when someone said he had an advantage with that unusual shoe he wore. "If having a deformed foot is an advantage, then I have an advantage."
Ben Agajanian had a similar shoe because he had lost four toes in an accident. Did anyone ever complain about it?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rhickok1109 wrote:Ben Agajanian had a similar shoe because he had lost four toes in an accident. Did anyone ever complain about it?
Well, his NFL longest was only 53. :D
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Didn't Clint Wager once give himself a fractured skull when practing his punting?
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:

Episodes I would like to see:

-George Halas, which is kind of an oversight that they haven't already covered him.

-Art Rooney, as he was from all accounts one of the finest gamblers in the country, but parlayed that success into buying a football team that were perpetual losers for 40 years. It wasn't until his son took over the reins of the franchise that their fortunes began to change.
I would like to see both of those, but the problem is finding people who actually knew them in their prime.

Virginia McCaskey would be the best source for Halas, but she's 96 and who knows if she would want to be interviewed on camera. Almost everyone associated with the 1940's Monsters of the Midway have passed on. There are certainly a number of players from his last championship team still around, but for the prime of Halas' career, you'd be relying on second hand excerpts.

Rooney has four sons still alive, all over 80. Art Jr. was the only one associated with the team. There are numerous 70's Steelers who can talk about how great a guy he was, but again, this was a period after he had turned over control of the team. This probably would have worked better if it had been produced when Dan Rooney was still alive.

I looked over all the subjects for A Football Life. Paul Brown was the only one who had the bulk of his career before 1960 (in terms of success, not years.)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

What about Georgia Frontiere? I think she would be a good subject among owners.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

conace21 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:

Episodes I would like to see:

-George Halas, which is kind of an oversight that they haven't already covered him.

-Art Rooney, as he was from all accounts one of the finest gamblers in the country, but parlayed that success into buying a football team that were perpetual losers for 40 years. It wasn't until his son took over the reins of the franchise that their fortunes began to change.
I would like to see both of those, but the problem is finding people who actually knew them in their prime.
You could have actual football historians offer their insights, but then NFL Network seems to think radio talk show idiots qualify in that category. :roll: