trivia

John Grasso

trivia

Post by John Grasso »

In doing some research for the upcoming 1951 L.A. Rams book I came upon the following
piece of trivia that I found interesting. One of the Rams on that team was Tom Keane
(whose bio I'm working on) who later played for the 1953 Baltimore Colts.

The Colts rejoined the NFL that year and in their first game (September 27, 1953) defeated
the Chicago Bears, 13-9. What made that game memorable was Bert Rechichar's NFL record
56-yard field goal. (Keane was his holder).

Most PFRA members are probably aware of the fact that Rechichar's kick was his first attempt at
a field goal in the NFL. But how many of you knew that Rechichar had scored the Colts first
points that day on a 36-yard interception? And finished with 3 interceptions on the day? Since
it was the Colts first game it obviously set a team record for most interceptions in a game.

But what I find amazing it that it is still the Colts team record for individual interceptions in a
game. Although it has been tied 9 times (including twice by Keane).
Ronfitch

Re: trivia

Post by Ronfitch »

Again ... we need a "like" button on this forum.

Nice sleuthing, John! Thanks for sharing.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

John Grasso wrote:
Most PFRA members are probably aware of the fact that Rechichar's kick was his first attempt at
a field goal in the NFL. But how many of you knew that Rechichar had scored the Colts first
points that day on a 36-yard interception?
I was. I wrote an article a couple of years ago on the player who scored the first touchdown for every franchise's history. You can read it here:

https://www.thesportster.com/football/t ... touchdown/
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Interesting trivia.

Great article, Todd! Very informative.
LJP

Post by LJP »

Tom Keane was the younger brother of Bears standout E Jim Keane.

Jim's bio in old Bears Media Guides mentions that his father played for the Rock Island Independents.

Census records show their father was Leo Keane (born Patrick Leo Keane, 1895-1977).

The Philadelphia Inquirer of 21-Aug-1946 mentions the same and says Leo played End for Rock Island against Halas and the Staleys.

The Inquirer article mentions that the family surname was pronounced as Kane.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

The Colts coach, Keith Molesworth, played for the Bears from 1931-1937 with the last 5 years under George Halas. Halas coached and lost that first game to the Colts and Molesworth who left after that 3-9 season. They beat Chicago again in week 3.

edit - Granted me using Halas may be the easiest person in the history of the NFL to make a connection to.