Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

Antiques Road Show Episode Cleveland Bulldogs 1924
Started by Jeff Gaughan, Jul 21 2014 03:05 PM

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Gaughan
PFRA Member
Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:05 PM
I am new to the board and this is my first post.

I came across this episode of Antiques Road Show last night on Google. It is a guy who's grandfather played for the 1924 Cleveland Bulldogs and he has his Championship fob. It is an amazing peace. I was wondering anyone's thoughts on it ? http://video.pbs.org/video/2365240581

I know the Hall of Fame has a 1920 Akron Championship fob other than that I can't remember seeing any others from the early days of the APFA/NFL ??

#2 Mark Durr
Board of Directors
Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:36 PM
Thanks for posting Jeff and welcome to the forum. I haven't seen the episode you describe, but plan to when I get home tonight.

A few years ago the Pro Football Hall of Fame posted this story to their website:

http://www.profootba...irst-champions/

The fob you mention from the Akron Pros is shown and featured in the article. They also mention other championship fobs in their collection, including one that was given to a member of the 1922 Canton Bulldogs. No photos of the others unfortunately.

#3 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:56 PM
Hi Jeff, nice to see you posting here. Thanks for the link to that Antiques Roadshow segment. This fob was given to the management of the Yellow Jackets when they won the 1926 NFL Championship

The players received watches

#4 Jeff Gaughan
PFRA Member
Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:14 PM
Mark Durr, on 21 Jul 2014 - 3:36 PM, said:
Thanks for posting Jeff and welcome to the forum. I haven't seen the episode you describe, but plan to when I get home tonight.

A few years ago the Pro Football Hall of Fame posted this story to their website:

http://www.profootba...irst-champions/

The fob you mention from the Akron Pros is shown and featured in the article. They also mention other championship fobs in their collection, including one that was given to a member of the 1922 Canton Bulldogs. No photos of the others unfortunately.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link to that story from the Hall of Fame. I would love to go to Canton and make an appointment to see all the 1920's memorabilia they have.

#5 Jeff Gaughan
PFRA Member
Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:15 PM
Moran, on 21 Jul 2014 - 7:56 PM, said:
Hi Jeff, nice to see you posting here. Thanks for the link to that Antiques Roadshow segment. This fob was given to the management of the Yellow Jackets when they won the 1926 NFL Championship

The players received watches

Hi Mike,
Glad to finally have the time to be on the forum. Thanks for adding the photos of the watch and fob, just amazing stuff !!!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister