#1 Rupert Patrick
PFRA Member
Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:46 PM
You usually don't see a story like this on a news site:

http://www.theblaze....ouldnt-pay-for/

#2 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:09 PM
Nice find, and share, Rupert. Always fun and interesting - for me - to see the old team documents, contracts, and letters.

#3 Moran
PFRA Member
This is a little older - and it's doubtful that the reserve guaranteed the visiting team was met -

#4 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:54 PM
As always, good stuff, Mike.

#5 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:23 AM
"railroad fair" - Was that like the party cars of the ski trains that ran out of Grand Central Terminal?

Was the party of the second responsible for one-half of the expenses of only one official or was there but one official needed for the game?

Documents like these are truly marvelous discoveries and they make you wonder just what actually sits in the file cabinets of some of the professional Sports teams' offices?

#6 John Grasso
Board of Directors
Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:02 AM
oldecapecod 11, on 17 Sept 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:
"railroad fair" - Was that like the party cars of the ski trains that ran out of Grand Central Terminal?

Was the party of the second responsible for one-half of the expenses of only one official or was there but one official needed for the game?

Documents like these are truly marvelous discoveries and they make you wonder just what actually sits in the file cabinets of some of the professional Sports teams' offices?
Probably not as much as we'd like to see. When we went on the Cleveland Browns tour at the PFRA meeting
we found out that in doing housecleaning many old and valuable (to us, at least) documents were thrown out
at various times in the team's history. I've discovered this to be true in other sports (basketball, boxing) as well.

#7 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:43 AM
John Grasso
Posted Today, 07:02 AM
"Probably not as much as we'd like to see. When we went on the Cleveland Browns tour at the PFRA meeting we found out that in doing housecleaning many old and valuable (to us, at least) documents were thrown out at various times in the team's history. I've discovered this to be true in other sports (basketball, boxing) as well."

That might be one of a few rare cases - might being the key word.
I wonder how many Cleveland files now sit in Baltimore? The same could be asked in Indianapolis. In the frenzy of a midnight move, were seemingly meaningless "papers" left behind.
It seems to me that the full measure of tradition exists among those franchises where the commitment was made by men of fiber and love of Sport such as the Maras and the Rooneys and the people of Green Bay and Philadelphia and, of course, the Messers Halas and Marshall.
They were not there for the gloss and glitter. Of the comparative nouveaux, the only person I can think of who might be of that ilk is Ted Turner (sans Hanoi Jane.)

#8 Moran
PFRA Member

338 posts
Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:20 PM
I have been tempted to try and get into some of the office buildings that were addresses on the old Giants/Mara/March letterheads in Manhattan and see if there was anything left behind in a long forgotten storage room - maybe when I retire, although if my parents' apartment building is typical, all that material was cleared out in the 1980s and 1990s when asbestos abatement took place. Plus, post 9/11, it's unlikely I'd be given access to wonder around. Around 1995 I went to the Giants office at the Meadowlands and they let me browse in their storeroom - but there was not much from before 1933.

The Bears/Eskimos contract has a burn mark like other documents and programs that were discarded after a fire in a Bears storage facility - or so I've heard.

#9 rhickok1109
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:19 PM
It's amazing what gets left behind. A bit off topic, but in 1982 somebody named Harry Cohen found a treasure trove of material in the old Warner Brothers music warehouse in New Jersey. It included lost scores from George Gershwin, Victor Herbert, Leonard Bernstein and others, along with 87 music manuscripts in Gershwin's hand.

#10 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:58 AM
For decades, they found some "gems" of Robbie Burns secretly tucked away in the belongings of some seemingly unlikely ladies.

And, wasn't there a "find" of notes that a group claimed attributed some of Willie's writings to Marlowe? (Talk about a career cut short!)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister