Alliance of American Football more TV deals including NFL

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: Alliance of American Football more TV deals including NF

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Rupert Patrick wrote: It was called the Action Point and was from the 2 1/2 yard line, which means it was basically a two-point play that was worth a point.
And even that was a recycling of the "pressure point" tested out in the NFL/AFL inter-league preseason games in 1968. Teams usually didn't convert, and coaches, players and fans didn't like having so many TD/conversion plays that only yielded 6 points.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Watched the first half of the Atlanta vs Orlando game off of youtube and probably won't watch anymore of this league. Often am ready for a little break from football in general after the college and nfl seasons end so the play would need to be really good to get me to want to watch another league. And it definitely wasn't for the first week of the season even though it is understandable why the quality would be poor.

I think they need to really improve the qb play in order for this league to last for any significant length of time. I like defensive battles if I know it is good defenses playing but for this it just seemed like bad offenses instead of quality defensive play.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Sounds like the NFL is going to use the AAF as a minor league. Players probably won't make the kind of money that NFL players make, but if they impress, then they could end up in the NFL and make big money. Might be a good idea.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Saban wrote:Sounds like the NFL is going to use the AAF as a minor league. Players probably won't make the kind of money that NFL players make, but if they impress, then they could end up in the NFL and make big money. Might be a good idea.
True. But unless the nfl wants to fund the league entirely on their own it will need to have quality play as well. It will be interesting to see how the enthusiasm for this league plays out through the rest of the season. The stadiums were in general about half empty for the debut of the league and the tv ratings were just on par with regular season college basketball and nba telecasts. Good if it can maintain that type of interest but in most of these instances with these new leagues people tune in just to check it out and many of them quickly tune out.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

lastcat3 wrote:Watched the first half of the Atlanta vs Orlando game off of youtube and probably won't watch anymore of this league. Often am ready for a little break from football in general after the college and nfl seasons end so the play would need to be really good to get me to want to watch another league. And it definitely wasn't for the first week of the season even though it is understandable why the quality would be poor.

I think they need to really improve the qb play in order for this league to last for any significant length of time. I like defensive battles if I know it is good defenses playing but for this it just seemed like bad offenses instead of quality defensive play.
I'm not sure what people are expecting - a league full of Tom Bradys? It's a AAA minor league it's not the NFL. Unless you get a group of super rich people willing to risk real money (NFL-type money) on a rival league this is what you're going to get.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

TodMaher wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:Watched the first half of the Atlanta vs Orlando game off of youtube and probably won't watch anymore of this league. Often am ready for a little break from football in general after the college and nfl seasons end so the play would need to be really good to get me to want to watch another league. And it definitely wasn't for the first week of the season even though it is understandable why the quality would be poor.

I'm not sure what people are expecting - a league full of Tom Bradys? It's a AAA minor league it's not the NFL. Unless you get a group of super rich people willing to risk real money (NFL-type money) on a rival league this is what you're going to get.
That is probably true that there just isn't enough talent out there to fill out the rosters for multiple different leagues so they all maintain a high level of play. And that raises the question then is there truly a market for multiple professional football leagues? People are ok with amateur level play at the college level because they know that those guys aren't professionals and also the pagentry of college football is the real sell of that level. When you try to create a professional league lacking in both pagentry and the professional level of play that a lot of consumers have come to expect its going to be hard to keep that league going for a very long period of time.

In my opinion if there was truly a market for more than one professional football league in this country another football league would have made it. We wouldn't be in this situation where all these leagues start up......last for two to three years (and in the XFL's case just one) and then quickly die off.

Even in the AFL's case if they hadn't merged with the NFL chances are extremely high that either the AFL or the NFL would have disbanded by about the 1980's
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The AAF's game book page now includes flip cards for the games.

https://shop.aaf.com/gamedata/
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

TodMaher wrote: I'm not sure what people are expecting - a league full of Tom Bradys? It's a AAA minor league it's not the NFL. Unless you get a group of super rich people willing to risk real money (NFL-type money) on a rival league this is what you're going to get.
Incredibly, they found a super rich person willing to risk NFL-type money.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Doesn't look like the league is going to last very long at this point. They already had to have an 'emergency investment' in order to meet payroll.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news ... 71yfrxkj1z
JWL

Post by JWL »

If this league doesn't make it to a second season even with the NFL supporting it in some way, then I think the XFL has to be insanely creative rules-wise and/or play in the fall if they want to have a league that can last.